Budget DAC

olly42

Planning to add a budget DAC to my set up.... Which one would you recommend from the following (used/new)

1. Micromega MyDac async USB Dac 24/192
2. Maverick Audio Tube Magic D2 DAC
3. Parasound Z DAC
4. Schiit Audio Bifrost DAC
5. ODAC (ObjectiveDAC)

Welcome suggestions.. Thanks

I would drop the Maverick Audio Tube Magic D2 DAC from the list. (Disclaimer: I own a MyDAC).
The ODAC is very highly regarded by many FMs.

Last edited:
I haven't personally heard this DAC but from whatever I've read about it/heard from others, this just isn't in the same league as the others on your list.
Unless of course you're getting a used Maverick at a low price point and want to find out what DACs are all about.

Last edited:
I haven't personally heard this DAC but from whatever I've read about it/heard from others, this just isn't in the same league as the others on your list.
Unless of course you're getting a used Maverick at a low price point and want to find out what DACs are all about.

I have a colleague coming over from China so for sure Maverick can be picked up any other DAC you can suggest from China?

Am using maverick DAC it is good vfm and the advantage is its tube and normal analog outs
My suggestion is hear and decide

Better invest money on a pure DAC if you have a volume control in the source coz e1 a volume control might effect the performance. And listen to different dac chips like saber,AD etc.
You can consider Audio GD, but prefer a pure dac or a balanced dac and choose according to ur taste.

Among your list, consider Parasound zDAC and Schitt Bifrost...Parasound is available here for 30-something K...

There was a MF VDAC II on sale here in the forum...not sure if it is still available...you can think of that as well...

Better invest money on a pure DAC if you have a volume control in the source coz e1 a volume control might effect the performance. And listen to different dac chips like saber,AD etc.
You can consider Audio GD, but prefer a pure dac or a balanced dac and choose according to ur taste.

Curious - why do you say the volume control affects the performance?

And I am not sure by your last statement. Audio gd actually mostly makes pure balanced DACs. In fact, they only make a handful of entry level models that are unbalanced and/or also have a gain stage and volume control, one of which I have. They have an uncommon approach to their analog output stage which they have copied or used as a starting point from high end products.

Their Master 7 balanced DAC for example which costs $2200 is very well regarded and one day, I hope to upgrade to one of these higher end models.

Take a closer look at their website and all their products. If you look beyond the bad translation which kingwa also acknowledges upfront, you will see that they are very upfront and no nonsense in their approach. At least it gels with me. Maybe others don't feel the same.

Oh, and among their outright bargains is their precision 1 integrated amp. At $550, it is literally a steal for the quality you are getting. This is only their second limited test run. IMHO, of course.

Last edited:
Curious - why do you say the volume control affects the performance?

There is no volume control on the D2. The reason is adding any kind of volume control (no matter it is digital or analog) will downgrade the audio quality in some way. Since D2 is a dedicated DAC, we think the volume control job belongs to the Amplifier or Active Speakers.

This is what they mentioned about the volume controller.

Volume control does degrade the SQ but question is can we live without one (or whether we could perceive it or to what extent the system is revealing) ? If it is on the DAC which has a good built in preamp, then we could connect it to a power amp directly. If you have a better preamp, then you can use the fixed output from the DAC. Most of the DAC should have options. In my DAC, two set of outputs are available. Even in Audio-gd DAC that asliarun has, there is an option to change from variable to fixed using the jumper (have to open the case though).

Balanced DAC has no meaning if your preamp does not accept the same.

@OP: All DACs suggested here are good. Check my thread on Mistral DAC too. A great VFM @ approx 22k.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back