Budget reciever

enginesha

Hello guys....

Yesterday I heard a Home theatre system in my friend's home.It was a Yamaha receiver.I have never heard of any thing like this in my life.Now I am just in love with it.My friend said that receivers are better than normal blueray hts.Now I just want one.I don't have too much budget.Can u tell me some cheap receivers I can buy in India? Serioiusly,I just love those things.....:licklips:

Hello guys....

Yesterday I heard a Home theatre system in my friend's home.It was a Yamaha receiver.I have never heard of any thing like this in my life.Now I am just in love with it.My friend said that receivers are better than normal blueray hts.Now I just want one.I don't have too much budget.Can u tell me some cheap receivers I can buy in India? Serioiusly,I just love those things.....:licklips:

There are two ways by which you can build your Home theater (HT). The cheapest route is getting a good HTiB (Home theater in a box). This is a complete package which will contain all the necessary things (Receiver, 5 speakers, a subwoofer) to setup a HT. The other way to build a HT is build all those things separately.

Though you can get HTiB at a very less price (starts from 20k), they are not generally recommended for optimum performance. The best way is to get receivers/speakers separately and you can still get it for a good budget of your liking. I suggest you to take the separate route.

Before you decide on the receiver, you need to decide on 5.1 (5 speakers + 1 subwoofer) or 3.1 (3 speakers + 1 subwoofer) speakers system. In 5.1 setup, you can get 5 small speakers (satellite) and this is cheap as well, but the performance will be between average and good. Or you can get 3 good bookshelf speakers + 2 surround speakers (it can be bookshelf as well) and this may cost you a lot, but the performance will be lot better.
So you can either opt for 5.1 satellite speakers if budget is your constraint or else you can very well get 5.1 bookshelf speakers. If you still want performance and if budget is also tight, then go for 3.1 setup with good bookshelf speakers to start with. You can upgrade it to 5.1 in future by adding 2 more speakers. So you decide which the best would be for you. I would always suggest to go for 3.1 setup to start with and have very good bookshelf speakers.

Now, coming to the receiver, there is no any single model which can be claimed as the best. There are models from Yamaha, Onkyo, Denon, Marantz, etc and you can get a good receiver for a minimum of 25k.
For you to get some idea, you can visit hifimart.com and there are models listed for receivers, 5.1 speaker package (with subwoofer), etc. Take time to go through the site and you may very well pick from hifimart.com.

Most important thing - what is your budget and room size ? If you give these details, many of us in the forum will help you in finding the right package for you. ALL THE BEST in your hunt for HT.

First, fix your budget
Secondly, decide what you want to go for ...HTiB or separates?
Thirdly, search the internet/ forum for reviews of avrs/ speakers that will fit within your budget.
Forthly, go and audition them and decide what you like.
Fifthly, purchase it.

Hey guys.....
My viewing distance is roughly about 12 feet.I dont have a big budget.I just need some cheap as well as good performing receiver.I want separates because they perform well.As above said I will go for a 3.1 and buy 2 more speakers later.But first I need to fix up on receiver.

Thanks in advance ......

Hey guys.....
My viewing distance is roughly about 12 feet.I dont have a big budget.I just need some cheap as well as good performing receiver.I want separates because they perform well.As above said I will go for a 3.1 and buy 2 more speakers later.But first I need to fix up on receiver.

Thanks in advance ......

Please mention the length x breath x height of your room as we as budget for better opinion from experienced FMs.

One man's mid budget can be another man's high budget. So its better to mention your approx budget.

I recently got myself an entry level Yamaha 373 avr for 27K and quite happy with it (my preference for movies: music is 50-50).... and right now I am using two front speakers and centre, will be adding sub soon and rear speakers later.

But going separate can increase your budget by double.

Whats the difference between an amplifier and a receiver?? I have a DVD player home.So if i buy an amplifier and hook it up with my player,will it perform as good as a receiver ??
I am new to this field.So guys help me out.
For a receiver I can a extend upto 15-20k.

Whats the difference between an amplifier and a receiver?? I have a DVD player home.So if i buy an amplifier and hook it up with my player,will it perform as good as a receiver ??
I am new to this field.So guys help me out.
For a receiver I can a extend upto 15-20k.

Amplifiers are typically for 2 channel stereo music, specifically designed for music listening, without any video processing capabilities. A good receiver these days will offer you 4 HDMI inputs, 1 HDMI output, various sound format and standards processing abilities (Dolby, DTS, Dolby True HD and so on), 5.1 output as well as stereo music playback akin to a stereo amplifier. However an amplifier as mentioned before is purely dedicated for two channel stereo music and so does a far superior job for music playback than a receiver.
If your preference is for movies then you need to look for a receiver. It is a good decision to go with separates. Decide on a budget, and accordingly do some auditions.
Your front left, right and center are the most important speakers for movies, 90% of movie sounds are likely to come from these, so take care in choosing them.
With 20K you will get an entry level receiver, likely you will have to extend your budget a little for the receiver. Denon, Onkyo, Yamaha, Marantz are some of the more popular brands, each have their own merits, only your ears can decide which one is above the rest. Enjoy the hunt ! :)

^^ I think there is an used Yamaha 467 receiver available for 20K in the forum, look at the 'For Sale' section. Sometimes these can be a great deal.

Last edited:
can anyone suggest some low budget receivers and its price?? I dont have an idea about the price of these things.....

and Thanks everbody.....

A budget Yamaha AVR usually is available for 24-30K,I had my Yamaha RX V467 AVR for sale for 17.5k, its almost sold. If you are in Mumbai, my brother wants to sell his too, I will let you know if and when he does.

Guys.....I just found some receivers in ebay.I dont know which one is good.
Onkyo TX-SR313,Yamaha Rxv375,Yanmaha R-S300BL,Denon AVR 1312,pioneer vsx-522,Marantz NR1402......

Which one is the best??
Help me out guys.

I would recommend note down the brand that matches your requirements and budget and some features you may look out for. Then depending on the speaker package try to get some audition done nearby your place. Thats the best way to decide.

Guys.....I just found some receivers in ebay.I dont know which one is good.
Onkyo TX-SR313,Yamaha Rxv375,Yanmaha R-S300BL,Denon AVR 1312,pioneer vsx-522,Marantz NR1402......

Which one is the best??
Help me out guys.

If you can live with a Non HDMI receiver, you can easily scout one for aprrox 10 - 12K either in this forum (or) in Olx & Quick r....

No HDMI receivers will have Co-axial & Optical inputs which you can connect to your DVD player, STB & others components....

You can slowly build your speaker setup first & then move on the receiver finally when u have ample budget.... Until then your Non HDMI receiver can do the same duty as your friends AVR excluding HD audio....

I did it that way....

Are there some good HTiB available for a low budget??
and one more thing...
Does a 360W pioneer perfom better than a 1000W phillips??
Pioneer HDMI Home Theater
HTZ-373DVD vs phillips HTS6553

Are there some good HTiB available for a low budget??

Onkyo 3500 is a decent HTiB especially suitable for movies and was available for 27K (at Calcutta and after discount) couple of months back when I demoed it.

But if you compare it with any separate, then there is no match in the sound quality. But then again, you end up spending more than double if you decide to go for separate.

You can also go for Yamaha 196 and 298.

And as everyone suggested, go for demo as much as you can. By whatever suits your ear and makes you happy. :eek:hyeah:

enginesha,

You have got some very good advice from our forum members in the posts above. I would like to make a few more suggestions for you:

1. Buy used, especially if you have budget constraints. You will get very good value for the money that you spend, and someone has already taken the depreciation cost of a new piece. Thus you can get products at prices that are considerably lower than the current retail prices
2. While buying used, I would suggest avoiding the likes of e-bay, olx etc. Instead, try and buy from sellers in well respected audio forums such as ours. You are less likely to get cheated buying through our forum. I have made many second hand purchases, and all of them have been transparent transactions. Also, since these products have been bought by audiophiles, they will usually be well take care of, and the chance of getting an abused piece is lower as compared to e-bay, olx etc
3. Another alternative for you is to build your system up is stages. Decide on the kind of system you want, and buy whatever components you can afford now (new or used). Buy the remaining components as and when you can afford them. Thus, over a period of time, you will have set up a nice sounding system which meets your requirements. You can start with the basic front left and right speakers along with a AV receiver. You can add the centre channel next, the sub-woofer after that, and the rear speakers in the end. The only thing that you have to keep in mind while building a system in stages is to stick to the same brand of speakers (and preferably the same product line) so that the voicing of the speakers are similar.

Best,
APK

Last edited:
The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back