Budget Setup

ajoshi777

I plan to buy a Hi-Fi music system on a budget. I have zeroed in on Jamo S406 speakers & Denon PMA 500 amplifier. Alternatively I could also go in for the Sherwood AX4103 amplifier as well.
Can anyone indicate what is the best price I can get this set up for in NCR. If you can give a better setup idea in the same price range, that will be great too.

Regards,
AJ

What are the prices you've heard for these components? What is your budget? What kind of music do you listen to?

The S406 is a very rudimentary floorstander from Jamo, it's a big warm sound, but not terribly detailed or resolving, there are definitely better options in that price range.

I am guessing your budget is roughly 25k for the amp and speakers.......what is your source going to be?

I plan to buy a Hi-Fi music system on a budget. I have zeroed in on Jamo S406 speakers & Denon PMA 500 amplifier. Alternatively I could also go in for the Sherwood AX4103 amplifier as well.
Can anyone indicate what is the best price I can get this set up for in NCR. If you can give a better setup idea in the same price range, that will be great too.

Regards,
AJ

Hi Psychotropic / Spirovious,
Guys thanks to both of you for responding.
Can you advise how to go about putting my setup together. My budget range is small; about 20-25k. So, S's comment regarding budget Hi-fi's being available in the 15K range therefore is music to my ears. I am a newbie so need you guys to give me some expert advice. I listen to Hindi oldies, Ghazals, Indian classical, Western classical and country music. My input will be my worldspace receiver (If I remember correctly, the model name is BPL Diva).

Regards,
AJ

Plenty of great options within that budget. You can consider the Audioengine A5 for 19k (these are powered speakers, amplifier built into the speakers)........ it doesn't have the size or the bass of the S406, but it will do pretty much everything else much better.

The Norge combination is an option. There are also other speakers you may consider pairing with the Norge amp such as the Wharfedale 9.1/10.1 and the PSB Alpha B1 (all in the 12-14k range).

Worldspace is compressed audio and the better the system, the worse it will sound. Don't you want to consider playing uncompressed audio CDs as well?

Hai,

You can get NORGE 2060 + NORGE Millineum - Bookshelf speakers for <20k, get 16 AWG Spk cables for Rs.90/- per meter, and Interconnects for Rs.1000/-( Profigold). For source get Pioneer DVD for Rs.6500/-. (or) get any budget DVD player for the present and add a good DAC in future for improved performance.

N.Murali

Hai,

You can get NORGE 2060 + NORGE Millineum - Bookshelf speakers for <20k, get 16 AWG Spk cables for Rs.90/- per meter, and Interconnects for Rs.1000/-( Profigold). For source get Pioneer DVD for Rs.6500/-. (or) get any budget DVD player for the present and add a good DAC in future for improved performance.

N.Murali
Murali,
Can NORGE 2060 drive Wharfdale 10.6? or will there is bottleneck. I am not too much interested in buying an AVR and there are not too many good stereo amplies below 10K

Most wharfedale speakers are 6ohm rated. NOrge 2060 is 80 at 4ohm. so it could only give 70 at 6ohms and if you look at sensitivity of wharfs, they are mostly 86db. All this boils down to Norge 2060 may not be enough to drive 10.6. Try Norge 1000 at extra 2k or so.

Most wharfedale speakers are 6ohm rated. NOrge 2060 is 80 at 4ohm. so it could only give 70 at 6ohms and if you look at sensitivity of wharfs, they are mostly 86db. All this boils down to Norge 2060 may not be enough to drive 10.6. Try Norge 1000 at extra 2k or so.
Thanks for info. I actually DO NOT need a floorstanding, however, need a good bass ( I listen to rock a lot). Can Wharf 10.2 OR Polk Audio TSi 200 bookshelves deliver good bass? which of them are better? and can Norge 2060 can drive them?

2060 is not that powerful, 1000 is better.
I tried both with Tannoy F1 & only 1000 was delivering better than 2060.

Hai Manju,

NORGE 2060 + WH 9.2 is a good combo. Since Norge is forward sounding and WH 9.2 is laid back, the overall sound is good. What is your room size?. I suggest that you go for this combo instead of 10.2, which I have heard and doesn't sound so good. Pl PM Rams1977 as he has the same combo and the setup would have also burnt in by this time. Anyway audition them before you take a final call.

N.Murali.

Hai Manju,

NORGE 2060 + WH 9.2 is a good combo. Since Norge is forward sounding and WH 9.2 is laid back, the overall sound is good. What is your room size?. I suggest that you go for this combo instead of 10.2, which I have heard and doesn't sound so good. Pl PM Rams1977 as he has the same combo and the setup would have also burnt in by this time. Anyway audition them before you take a final call.

N.Murali.
Thnx for your reply. My room size is 15X12, pretty rectangular. Did you mean 10.6 here?
...you go for this combo instead of 10.2

Since, I generally listen to western music (ROCK) / bolly remixes will Norge 1000 + Wharf 10.4 (Floor Standing) work fine for me? How about Polk Audio TSi 200, I took an audition and they were great! (TSi 300 Floor Standing sucks, way too much bass)

Last edited:
I am in double mind now. I found out that Yamaha Rx-V363 is selling for less than 14K. Now should I go for Norge Stereo amp OR Yammy AV ?

If you need setup for mov,then go with Yam OR norge(music)

Thanks. Well more for Music 80%. However, will Norge play ROCK & Heavy Metal very well? I am talking about songs like "Nothing Else Matters" , "November Rain", "Bat out of the hell"?

Hi, I have a similar requirement as Manju's..
- system purely for music (instrumental such as as Flute and classic rock such as Pink Floyd) to be experienced at low volume
- input primarily from CD's and may plug in world space some time later
- drawing room setup - very open (with large windows and nice breeze!) size 21X12
- very new to the Audiophile terms and gadgets, hoping to start with a scalable setup in a 20-30 K budget ( slightly flexible)
- will need to start from scratch. will not use existing player/ speaker etc.

going by the thread can i look at -
- some decent quality player (~ 3 K budget)
- Receiver - not too sure
- Norge 2060 amp
- WD 9.1 speakers
- will i need a sub woofer? any recommendations?
- cables and connectors as mentioned by Murali

Your advise on sourcing used components in Bangalore?
- love wood !! would they be expensive?
- will book shelf deliver quality same as floor speakers?
- any links which can provide me more basic knowledge (for a beginner) including positioning of speakers

Thanks, Ani

Last edited:
Thanks. Well more for Music 80%. However, will Norge play ROCK & Heavy Metal very well? I am talking about songs like "Nothing Else Matters" , "November Rain", "Bat out of the hell"?

Hi Manju,
I have Norge 1000 + WD 9.2 combo. It plays Linking park well (thick textured wall of distortion guitars + vocals). Hence I think it will play Heavy Metal well. BTW I think Norge 2060 /1000 is a good Neutral amp having good balance of bass & treble.

Considering your leaning towards music, I suggest you shouldn't go for AVR option no matter how cheap, the deals linke Yam are offered. I have learnt that the hard way after spending first on Onkyo AVR. Compromise on your 5.1 movie setup dreams, if you have to... see my suggestion here >> http://www.hifivision.com/what-should-i-buy/7395-need-advice-home-theatre-30k.html

Regds,

Never use a 5.1 Amp to listen to 2.0 music ....most 5.1 amp sounds awful with stereo material.......:lol:......I dont like watching movies so its always a stereo amp for me.........:)

Thnx for your reply. My room size is 15X12, pretty rectangular. Did you mean 10.6 here?

Since, I generally listen to western music (ROCK) / bolly remixes will Norge 1000 + Wharf 10.4 (Floor Standing) work fine for me? How about Polk Audio TSi 200, I took an audition and they were great! (TSi 300 Floor Standing sucks, way too much bass)

Hi Manju,
If you find TSi 200 to be great then I doubt if you will find Wharfedales to be great. These Polks are "Forward" sounding (Treble enhanced) whereas Wharfedale are generally "Laid back" (warm/bass enhanced)...even though the 10 Series is little "forward" than earlier 9 series.

Considering your "Forward" liking you must audition Wharfe's before making purchase, don't just go by rave reviews of wharfe on this forum (the "budget" end of people here are wharfe fans, incl me :D)

Regds,

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back