• Hello and Welcome to HiFiVision.com - an online community for the home entertainment and tech enthusiasts!

If you would like to ask a question, participate in a discussion and view attachments please Register yourself.

Budget streamer with Spotify & Optical out

Wharfedale EVO4.4

Arjun4

Looking for a cheap option to stream spotify. Device should have an optical out. Any suggestions ?

Music Freak

I see that you own a nice receiver that's got Wi-Fi built in and you're already equipped to stream spotify & Apple TV for videos.

Considering that you are looking for an external device, probably, you may consider a good, pre-owned BDP with Wi-Fi built-in/Wired, in your budget. These usually come with Optical/Coax outputs. So, employing the wireless/wired LAN, no compromise in the sound output + you get addtnl. features like BT, USB playback of high res files...so on depending on the BDP.

Arjun4

Considering that you are looking for an external device, probably, you may consider a good, pre-owned BDP with Wi-Fi built-in/Wired, in your budget. These usually come with Optical/Coax outputs. So, employing the wireless/wired LAN, no compromise in the sound output + you get addtnl. features like BT, USB playback of high res files...so on depending on the BDP.
Any specific model / brand BDP ? i couldn't find any BDP's with optical out

bornfi

I did consider 3rd gen apple TV but couldn't find a Roku with Optical out.
I may be wrong. I don’t see any Roku with optical out. You can still use it by buying a cheap hdmi to optical converter.

Music Freak

Any specific model / brand BDP ? i couldn't find any BDP's with optical out
Sony BDPs of old, say, the three series... like., BDP-S3700...Pioneer BDP 140, 180.. Panasonic ones usually with optical...Sony's of late going with mostly coax o/p.

Last edited:

Hari Iyer

Looking for a cheap option to stream spotify. Device should have an optical out. Any suggestions ?
DNM has recently launched a streamer. Checkout if that suits you. They have optical out I think.

rahuln

Another option is a cheap Andriod TV box. I got from my internet provider for 1500 it has optical out. Since it is Andriod TV, it streams from almost all services, in addition, to support for chromecast.

RRR

Chromecast audio is the cheapest option with optical out to stream Spotify.

saikatbiswas82

I think the optical port on CCA is mini TOSLINK, isn't it ?
That's correct.

For reference, this is cable I'm using:

Arjun4

That's correct.

For reference, this is cable I'm using:

Thanks, Are you using CCA 2nd gen ?

saikatbiswas82

I'm using 2 of them. First one I purchased new from store last year March. So that is latest. The 2nd one was purchased from a HFV member. Not sure which generation does it belong to.

rajkr100

Chormecast Audio is very good option with digital out. It also good inbuilt dac. However, It seems that it has been discontinued by Google.