Budget streamer with Spotify & Optical out

Arjun4

Looking for a cheap option to stream spotify. Device should have an optical out. Any suggestions ?

I see that you own a nice receiver that's got Wi-Fi built in and you're already equipped to stream spotify & Apple TV for videos.

Considering that you are looking for an external device, probably, you may consider a good, pre-owned BDP with Wi-Fi built-in/Wired, in your budget. These usually come with Optical/Coax outputs. So, employing the wireless/wired LAN, no compromise in the sound output + you get addtnl. features like BT, USB playback of high res files...so on depending on the BDP.

Considering that you are looking for an external device, probably, you may consider a good, pre-owned BDP with Wi-Fi built-in/Wired, in your budget. These usually come with Optical/Coax outputs. So, employing the wireless/wired LAN, no compromise in the sound output + you get addtnl. features like BT, USB playback of high res files...so on depending on the BDP.

Any specific model / brand BDP ? i couldn't find any BDP's with optical out

I did consider 3rd gen apple TV but couldn't find a Roku with Optical out.

I may be wrong. I don’t see any Roku with optical out. You can still use it by buying a cheap hdmi to optical converter.

Any specific model / brand BDP ? i couldn't find any BDP's with optical out

Sony BDPs of old, say, the three series... like., BDP-S3700...Pioneer BDP 140, 180.. Panasonic ones usually with optical...Sony's of late going with mostly coax o/p.

Last edited:
Another option is a cheap Andriod TV box. I got from my internet provider for 1500 it has optical out. Since it is Andriod TV, it streams from almost all services, in addition, to support for chromecast.

I think the optical port on CCA is mini TOSLINK, isn't it ?

That's correct.

For reference, this is cable I'm using:

That's correct.

For reference, this is cable I'm using:

Thanks, Are you using CCA 2nd gen ?

I'm using 2 of them. First one I purchased new from store last year March. So that is latest. The 2nd one was purchased from a HFV member. Not sure which generation does it belong to.

Chormecast Audio is very good option with digital out. It also good inbuilt dac. However, It seems that it has been discontinued by Google.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back