Budget Subwoofer for music

Dhiraj

Hello everyone,

I currently own a Marantz PM5005 and BA26 setup, which has been delivering fantastic music-listening experiences. The BA26, in particular, has provided punchy and solid bass, especially in my previous small listening room measuring 14ft x 9ft. However, I recently moved to a larger residential space with a 255sqft listening area (15ft x 17ft) and a 50sqft passage. In this medium-sized room, I feel the setup lacks the desired oomph.

To address this, I'm looking to purchase a musical subwoofer that can fill in the lower frequencies and enhance the overall audio experience. I'm seeking a subwoofer with tight bass, and I plan to keep it for at least the next 5 years. My budget for this investment is in the range of 20 to 25K. After researching and considering reviews, I've narrowed down my options to a few potential SWs.

1: Thonet and Vander SW10 - Good Reviews, not sure about build quality

2: Taga - Good Reviews, Good Build.

3: BIC - 8" not sure if it will perform well in my medium-sized room, please advice. not sure about Build.

4: Yamaha - 8" not sure if it will perform well in my medium-sized room, please advice.

-------------
I could also see very competitive prices for these models on different online sites
1: Thonet

2: BIC
and

Though I have not heard about these online stores, can you guys let me know if any of you have bought any item from above to check the credibility?

Thanks in advance

Hello everyone,

I currently own a Marantz PM5005 and BA26 setup, which has been delivering fantastic music-listening experiences. The BA26, in particular, has provided punchy and solid bass, especially in my previous small listening room measuring 14ft x 9ft. However, I recently moved to a larger residential space with a 255sqft listening area (15ft x 17ft) and a 50sqft passage. In this medium-sized room, I feel the setup lacks the desired oomph.

To address this, I'm looking to purchase a musical subwoofer that can fill in the lower frequencies and enhance the overall audio experience. I'm seeking a subwoofer with tight bass, and I plan to keep it for at least the next 5 years. My budget for this investment is in the range of 20 to 25K. After researching and considering reviews, I've narrowed down my options to a few potential SWs.

3: BIC - 8" not sure if it will perform well in my medium-sized room, please advice. not sure about Build.

4: Yamaha - 8" not sure if it will perform well in my medium-sized room, please advice.

-------------
I could also see very competitive prices for these models on different online sites

and

Though I have not heard about these online stores, can you guys let me know if any of you have bought any item from above to check the credibility?

Thanks in advance
Hi
Please go with minimum 10 inch driver, 8 inch will not sufficient for your room size,
Marantz PM 5005 does not have subwoofer out or preout,

So only option is high level output, so look subwoofer with high level input .( or you need to buy high level to low level adaptor)

Hi
Please go with minimum 10 inch driver, 8 inch will not sufficient for your room size,
Marantz PM 5005 does not have subwoofer out or preout,

So only option is high level output, so look subwoofer with high level input .( or you need to buy high level to low level adaptor)
All of.these models have high level of inputs, I am shortlisting these 2 below subs after reading reviews, and for that I am increasing my budget to 35k

1: Yamaha NS- SW 300 : it's available for 35k on Amazon with No Cost EMI.
2: BIC America Venturi V1020 or 1220 whichever is available and comes under 35k

Let me know what you think? Or any other options to look for,. Please note that I am from Mumbai.

All of.these models have high level of inputs, I am shortlisting these 2 below subs after reading reviews, and for that I am increasing my budget to 35k

1: Yamaha NS- SW 300 : it's available for 35k on Amazon with No Cost EMI.
2: BIC America Venturi V1020 or 1220 whichever is available and comes under 35k

Let me know what you think? Or any other options to look for,. Please note that I am from Mumbai.
I heard BIC is good one 👍, anyway please go through the reviews by our members .

Last edited:
Hello everyone,

-------------

and

Thanks in advance
Check this one, you can audition it at the manufacturer's place in Mumbai and buy directly from them:
https://dnmaudio.com/product/diamond-12/

I am getting this offer from vplak

They WhatsApp me that product is available.

But I guess they are not authorised dealer hence i won't go for it.
One of FM bought q acoustic m20 from vplak and after some months its not working, vplak refused the warranty even when item under warranty.

Hi Guys,

If the subwoofer does not have speaker-level input but only has the low-level input, how do I connect it to Marantz Pm5005? And if I can, is it still the ideal way to connect through RCA and will it get the same quality and control as connecting with speaker-level input? Let me know.

Hello everyone, finally I have decided to go for taga 210. This active subwoofer rated 6ohm and has high level input. But at the back panel of PM5005 it says
Speaker A: 4-16 Ohms
Speaker B: 4-16 Ohms
Speaker A+B: 8 -16 ohms

My query is do we really need to consider Ohms as this is an active subwoofer so it has its own amp while connecting to Speaker level or any other way?

Hello everyone, finally I have decided to go for taga 210. This active subwoofer rated 6ohm and has high level input. But at the back panel of PM5005 it says
Speaker A: 4-16 Ohms
Speaker B: 4-16 Ohms
Speaker A+B: 8 -16 ohms

My query is do we really need to consider Ohms as this is an active subwoofer so it has its own amp while connecting to Speaker level or any other way?
No need to consider ohms in case of active subwoofers. You need to consider ohms if you are adding a passive subwoofer and connecting directly to the AVR which is not suggested.

Hi Guys,

If the subwoofer does not have speaker-level input but only has the low-level input, how do I connect it to Marantz Pm5005? And if I can, is it still the ideal way to connect through RCA and will it get the same quality and control as connecting with speaker-level input? Let me know.
You can connect using high to low level converter. It will work same as high level inputs at back of active subwoofer which has them. It shall be different from connecting using RCA out from the amplifier but that can be corrected using frequency and gain controls of the subwoofer.

You can connect using high to low level converter. It will work same as high level inputs at back of active subwoofer which has them. It shall be different from connecting using RCA out from the amplifier but that can be corrected using frequency and gain controls of the subwoofer.
Can you throw some more lights on this? How these converter look, can it help to synce subwoofer with the amp volume control same as speakerlevel connection? I have dropped 212se option due to lack of high level inputs, and I don't want hassle of controlling volume on subwoofer for each song. Hence I am considering taga tsw 210 with high level.

Can you throw some more lights on this? How these converter look, can it help to synce subwoofer with the amp volume control same as speakerlevel connection? I have dropped 212se option due to lack of high level inputs, and I don't want hassle of controlling volume on subwoofer for each song. Hence I am considering taga tsw 210 with high level.
With high to low level converter the volume of speakers and sub both will get controlled with the amplifier volume. You just need to set the frequency and gain in sub once as per you liking. One end of the converter is speaker wires which will go to the amplifier and the other end is RCA which will go to the active subwoofer or subwoofer amplifier in case you are using passive subwoofer. You shall be able to get this from a car accessories shop for around Rs. 200 if not you can DM me, I will send it to you via courier.

Attachments

• images.jpeg
    images.jpeg
    8.6 KB · Views: 1

Hello everyone,

-------------

and

Thanks in advance
Your speaker has a 6.5 inch woofer and is generally known for its bass strength. Do you really need a sub? Remember it’s never too easy to get a sub sonically match with your speaker, especially if you have an ear for it. You run the risk of losing the coherence in your sound if not matched well.

My speakers have 6 inch woofer and placed in a living room similarly sized to your new room. There are other things I desire from my speakers, but not bass weight which I find is sufficient (I am not into EDM). Considering your speakers are rear ported, how far from the wall have you placed them? I find I get the best bass reinforcement, without getting muddy, at 1 foot distance from the wall. If I draw them out further, the sound starts thinning and affecting the musicality. Also, have you placed your speakers on appropriate stands? That can clear up bass which can be muddled if placed on other surfaces. Just asking. Also, check your interconnects and cables - are they of sufficient gauge?

Your speaker has a 6.5 inch woofer and is generally known for its bass strength. Do you really need a sub? Remember it’s never too easy to get a sub sonically match with your speaker, especially if you have an ear for it. You run the risk of losing the coherence in your sound if not matched well.

My speakers have 6 inch woofer and placed in a living room similarly sized to your new room. There are other things I desire from my speakers, but not bass weight which I find is sufficient (I am not into EDM). Considering your speakers are rear ported, how far from the wall have you placed them? I find I get the best bass reinforcement, without getting muddy, at 1 foot distance from the wall. If I draw them out further, the sound starts thinning and affecting the musicality. Also, have you placed your speakers on appropriate stands? That can clear up bass which can be muddled if placed on other surfaces. Just asking. Also, check your interconnects and cables - are they of sufficient gauge?
Maintaining a 2-foot distance from the wall has enhanced the exceptional sound quality of my speakers. When I position myself in the sweet spot, the speakers create an impressive three-dimensional audio image, yet I've noticed a slight lack of bass. Experimenting by moving them closer to the wall resulted in a loss of the punchy bass quality I enjoyed before. Therefore, I'm in search of a subwoofer to add a bit more depth to my listening experience in the sweet spot. After researching, I've narrowed down my choices to the Taga 210 and the Yamaha NS SW300, both of which have garnered positive reviews for their performance. Cables I am using AmazonBasics 16-Gauge for connecting speakers. Let me know.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back