Budget TT (if they even exist)

I don't think TT with USB is meant for regular vinyl listening with reasonable SQ, rather they are meant for only hooking up with the soundcard for digitization. Adding extra facility (read PCBs) in the output line may only cause humming. Neither USB nor in-built phono preamp is required with a TT. Most of the stereo amps are equipped with a excellent phono stages which will satisfy any listener who is not as meticulous as a mastering engineer.

There are options, though small in India

1. Pro-ject Debut III - very very popular for justified reasons, I regularly use it and it performs faithfully, at 18K its really worth, minimal design, no coloration, more than sufficient

2. Rega RP1 - thousands of users, both new and seasoned, have given a thumbs up for this TT, not too different than Debut III, speed stability may be slightly different, overall excellent, at least 5K costlier than Debut III

3. Audio Technica AT PL or LP 120 - though it has USB and internal phono section its build keeping in mind the design of legendary 1200. When one follows a time tasted model he can not get wrong, this TT has got excellent review from users starting from home listener to audiophile to DJs, extremely VFM, it costs around $200- $230 in US, in global ebay.in one can get it at around 16K, it has US/European voltage, so no issue in that, I have a plan to buy this

4. Audio Technica AT PL 240 - hardly any review available, solidly built, its looks and detailed specs gives me an impression it will beat any TT in the price range $500, direct drive, heavy platter, you get possibly all features a high-end TT can have, but meant for people who can not take the economic burden

5. Stanton ST or STR 150 - very close to number 4, loads of review available, solid and perfect performer, people tend to ignore these by saying DJ table, never understood whats wrong with a DJ table, if a group of people abuse a product because it can sustain that product does not become unfit for home use, my senses say this is an excellent TT, sourcing in India is rather painful may cost around 35K

6. I am willing to know how LENCO's newer direct drives perform, they weigh less than 3Kg, which is not an encouraging sign, cost effective, Indian market flooded with these

7. Denon newer TTs - Every Hi-Fi shop in India seem to have this TT in stock, why? because DENON marketed well and hardly anyone bought them, looks and aptly the reviews say they are cheap and only good when someone wants to see how a record spins, can not satisfy one in the long run

In my opinion getting a TT shipped from ebay UK is perhaps more rewarding

Arnab

you have 2 options: spend 10k on a Lenco, teac or ion el cheapo plastic turntable with cheap p-mount cartridges or spend 10k on a classic pre-used technics direct drive turntable with a decent cartridges...technics direct drives are built to last a life time so if you buy from a person who's handled them carefully, you'll get a great turntable...avoid buying pre-used from DJs as they technics' are usually heavily abused. once you are familiar with turntables, it would be great to venture into the world of Regas and ProJECTs.

phono stage is the easier part of the deal, you can easily get hold of one or get someone to build you one. a decent phono stage would cost about Rs.200 to build :)

Thanks for all the info reuben. Out of curiosity, do you have any recommendations in mind for the Technics Direct Drives? I had purchased a second hand technics while I was in Australia from a Salavation Army store for $30 and back then it was a decision between buying a bed or the technics.. I am glad i chose the technics and it was the best $30 I had ever spent in my whole ****ing life. Those were the student days.. In any case, I had to leave that baby behind unfortunately and couldnt bring it back to India. In any case, would love to hear of your recommendations.

Hi all,

I dont understand why a seperate Phonostage is recommended for entry level TTs, as Amps like Marantz PM6003 amd Yamaha AS500 are built with a good decent sounding Phono inputs in their pre-amps. I listen to Vinyl thro them from my Technics-TT, fitted with Shure Mx97e cart and they sound awesome. They will definitely sound better than the Phono-pre inbuilt in the TT.

Just my Rs.2/-

N.Murali

I am guessing everyone is recommending a Phono Stage cause my AVR doesnt have a Phono Input. I currently own the Denon 1612 and I am looking to hook up the TT directly to it. From what I understand from reading threads here and on other forums, a Phono Stage will be required for my setup :)

I don't think TT with USB is meant for regular vinyl listening with reasonable SQ, rather they are meant for only hooking up with the soundcard for digitization. Adding extra facility (read PCBs) in the output line may only cause humming. Neither USB nor in-built phono preamp is required with a TT. Most of the stereo amps are equipped with a excellent phono stages which will satisfy any listener who is not as meticulous as a mastering engineer.

There are options, though small in India

1. Pro-ject Debut III - very very popular for justified reasons, I regularly use it and it performs faithfully, at 18K its really worth, minimal design, no coloration, more than sufficient

2. Rega RP1 - thousands of users, both new and seasoned, have given a thumbs up for this TT, not too different than Debut III, speed stability may be slightly different, overall excellent, at least 5K costlier than Debut III

3. Audio Technica AT PL or LP 120 - though it has USB and internal phono section its build keeping in mind the design of legendary 1200. When one follows a time tasted model he can not get wrong, this TT has got excellent review from users starting from home listener to audiophile to DJs, extremely VFM, it costs around $200- $230 in US, in global ebay.in one can get it at around 16K, it has US/European voltage, so no issue in that, I have a plan to buy this

4. Audio Technica AT PL 240 - hardly any review available, solidly built, its looks and detailed specs gives me an impression it will beat any TT in the price range $500, direct drive, heavy platter, you get possibly all features a high-end TT can have, but meant for people who can not take the economic burden

5. Stanton ST or STR 150 - very close to number 4, loads of review available, solid and perfect performer, people tend to ignore these by saying DJ table, never understood whats wrong with a DJ table, if a group of people abuse a product because it can sustain that product does not become unfit for home use, my senses say this is an excellent TT, sourcing in India is rather painful may cost around 35K

6. I am willing to know how LENCO's newer direct drives perform, they weigh less than 3Kg, which is not an encouraging sign, cost effective, Indian market flooded with these

7. Denon newer TTs - Every Hi-Fi shop in India seem to have this TT in stock, why? because DENON marketed well and hardly anyone bought them, looks and aptly the reviews say they are cheap and only good when someone wants to see how a record spins, can not satisfy one in the long run

In my opinion getting a TT shipped from ebay UK is perhaps more rewarding

Arnab

Hey Arnab
Thanks for the detailed breakdown. I did do some research on ebay.in and amazon.co.uk and found a bunch of turntables available for under $200 dollars. The only thing that I am not able to understand is the key differences between them.
This journey is already getting interesting, but spending the 18k+ is kinda worrysome for me cause I dont want to be shelling out that kinda bucks right now. I just picked up the denon and the wharfedales :(

Woah, that's awesome. Should I pm you to figure this out? Would I just connect it directly to my avr (Denon 1612) or need some other intermediate device to hook it up?

Hi,

Just saw your post.I recently bought Micro Seiki so my Technics is packed in a box.If you are interested can PM me.But I will not ship to Mumbai as I am not confident packing a TT.

Regards,

Sachin

Thanks for all the info reuben. Out of curiosity, do you have any recommendations in mind for the Technics Direct Drives? I had purchased a second hand technics while I was in Australia from a Salavation Army store for $30 and back then it was a decision between buying a bed or the technics.. I am glad i chose the technics and it was the best $30 I had ever spent in my whole ****ing life. Those were the student days.. In any case, I had to leave that baby behind unfortunately and couldnt bring it back to India. In any case, would love to hear of your recommendations

Honestly, the Technics SL12xx series (DJ Turntables which can be used for audiophile listening, but very expensive and hard to get as nobody will sell them) and the Technics SL32xx series, like the one I have SL3200, great for audiophile listening...and what more, if maintaned/handled carefully, can last a lifetime. The SL32xx series are the domestic/audiophile versions of the SL12xx series and don't have the usual DJ pitch control.

A pic of my turntable (and Nak DR3) can be viewed at http://www.hifivision.com/phono-turntables/18073-showcase-your-turntable-5.html

Last edited:
Space
Considering your set up of denon receiver and wharfdale speakers, an entry level P mount might just be enough.See if you can get a used (or even new) technics slbd20d and replace the stock cartridge with Audio technica at311ep.Get the Cambridge Audio phono pre and you are good to go.In fact, my entry level tecnics P mount with the audio technica cart, sounds better then my denon CD player.
Cheers
Himadri

technics slbd20b is a pretty good belt-drive turntable but its standard technics p-mount is hopeless, the AT version should be great!!

Hi,

Just saw your post.I recently bought Micro Seiki so my Technics is packed in a box.If you are interested can PM me.But I will not ship to Mumbai as I am not confident packing a TT.

Regards,

Sachin

Hey Sachin
Thanks for writing in man. I have no way of transporting the baby down from Nashik till here. I will PM you in any case and we can take it from there as I am interested in a decent turn table and I doubt that yours wont fit my needs well enough.

Space
Considering your set up of denon receiver and wharfdale speakers, an entry level P mount might just be enough.See if you can get a used (or even new) technics slbd20d and replace the stock cartridge with Audio technica at311ep.Get the Cambridge Audio phono pre and you are good to go.In fact, my entry level tecnics P mount with the audio technica cart, sounds better then my denon CD player.
Cheers
Himadri

Hey Himadri
Any idea where I can find one of these? Been looking for some TT dealers in Mumbai, but cant land on any numbers.
I called that guy in Kolkata that bhasker linked me up with earlier on in this thread, but he seemed to only want to talk in Bengali (like all other Bengalis - hehe) and refused to give me any info over the phone. FAIL.

I did find this one Cosmic Belt Drive for sale in pune for 5k
Should i pick it up?
COSMIC DIRECT DRIVE TURNTABLE - Pune: Music Systems - Home Theatre in Pune at Quikr Pune

Hey Sachin
Thanks for writing in man. I have no way of transporting the baby down from Nashik till here. I will PM you in any case and we can take it from there as I am interested in a decent turn table and I doubt that yours wont fit my needs well enough.

No problem,

IMO my Technics is comparable or even better than current entry level players.It was priced $180 in 1981,so that was not cheap.It has a universe headshell sothat you can mount any expensive cartridge,It weighs 6.5 kg and speed is spot on.You can search Vinylengine for Technics model like SlD-2,SlD-3,SlD-202, and SlD-303 all are very similar.My intention was only to fulfill your need not to sell my TT otherwise I would have put this one on sell on classified section of this forum.Turntable shipping is very riski job and TT can be easily damaged,since you are from Mumbai and close to Nasik so I offered my TT as I am not using it currently.

Regards,

Sachin

Last edited:
Would this feed audio out from the USB to my Denon 1612's USB in?

That would hardly be giving you the analogue experience! I think you've been talked out of this already, though...

I don't think TT with USB is meant for regular vinyl listening with reasonable SQ, rather they are meant for only hooking up with the soundcard for digitization...
USB is not a bad option to have on a phono pre-amp. I've thought about one of the Pro-ject boxes that includes it.

To my mind, if one is going to digitise, one wants the best [affordable] possible source and ADC, which is probably not going to be there on a budget built-in.

I definitely don't intend digitising. As it currently stands, I was looking at feeding audio through USB but I guess that's ruled out.

I spoke to Mr. Anand from Nova Audio today at length and he said he'd let me know mid next week about two second hand tt's that might be on sale. Keeping my fingers crossed. Got one or two leads from this thread as well. Extremely excited about joining you guys on the "other" side very soon. Been a boyhood dream.

My grateful dead, floyd, simon & garfunkle, janis Joplin, who and many other lp's are dying to be played!!! :)

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back