Budget TT (if they even exist)

spacemonkey

Hi guys
Been reading up on the TurnTables now that I have my Denon 1612 and Wharfedale 9.1's + 9.CS setup and ready for some good sources.
I have been a keen follower of analog music for a while and have accumulated a few LP's over the years (without an turntable though).

I think I am ready for it now, just dont know which one to buy if i am just starting out.

I searched around these forums for threads, but no one seems to have started one.

Also, need to know, how would I end up hooking up a TT to my Denon 1612?

I aint looking to go over the top with my budget, but something that'll deliver for its price, like the Wharfedale 9.1's is what I am looking at initially till i get the groove of it and start listening to it with passion.

The fact that you load up a record and then sit through the entire track listing is just fascinating for me and i want to experience it again. Help with recommendations! :)

Thanks in advance

Bluu, is that like the lowest price to pay for a decent turntable?
I heard at some of the HT stores that I visited when auditioning my Denon 1612 and Wharfedales' about some turntables for like 10k and the likes. Cant expect too much from them?

What does one look for when choosing a budget tt?
Since I am a complete newbie in this space, what am i to look out for as red flags?

This is awesome. It is so nice to hear more and more people getting back to good old vinyl.

Your denon amplifier does not have a phono input. You will have to buy a stereo integrated amplifier that has phono inputs or buy a dedicated phono stage to work along side your av receiver. Not the best way to listen to a record player.

Some turn tables such as the Denon DP300F, which is quite nice sounding comes with a built in phono stage. It is not a purist turn table. If just playing your records is all you care, this turn table will work for you. If not, you can buy a Rega Rp1 or a Project Debut series to start. Both are available in India. The Rega and Project will require an external phono stage device for it to work with your Denon receiver.

Look for Pro-ject Debut III, one of the best budget and audiophile grade Turntable available in the market today.... Will cost u abt 18k

Bluu, is that like the lowest price to pay for a decent turntable?
I heard at some of the HT stores that I visited when auditioning my Denon 1612 and Wharfedales' about some turntables for like 10k and the likes. Cant expect too much from them?

What does one look for when choosing a budget tt?
Since I am a complete newbie in this space, what am i to look out for as red flags?

Very few things in hi-fi can cost only 10K and sound very good. Let alone a turntable. Like Sandeep said, I would stay away from it. If you are on a very tight budget, go with the Pro-ject else stretch for the Rega. Factor in the cost of a phono (30K approx).

This is the Denon DP-29F. Rated well by Av Max and well yeah, for 10K it does its job. It does not look like a turntable that is built to last so I would stay away from it.

+1,It has a P mount cartridge so cart choices are very limited>if you have very limited budget then try to find some used direct drive TTs.You can find used entry level Technics which are very well built and sound great,better than many entry level new players.

Regards,
Sachin

+1,It has a P mount cartridge so cart choices are very limited>if you have very limited budget then try to find some used direct drive TTs.You can find used entry level Technics which are very well built and sound great,better than many entry level new players.

Regards,
Sachin
^^+1 Few days back I sold one Technics SL D202. It was really nice TT. Soundwise neat and clean.

I think for a beginner on a tight budget, going for a good used TT holds the most VFM. Not that they are easy to come by, but if it was me, I'd keep my eyes open for a clean Thorens TD 160/165 or a Dual 1219/1229 etc. From what I understand, like most storied names from the past, the new Lencos have nothing in common with their illustrious predecessors...

Guys, when you say "avoid" then can you also please mention why? What's the drawback/issues etc.. That'll help the people who are trying to make a decision.

Hi Konfused,

The current Lancos are not good as original company has been sold to a Dutch and Hk based company.NOw a days they are manufacturing very basic TTs.This particular TT has built-in phono pre amp so you can directly connect it to any line level input and It weighs only 3 kg.

Regards,
Sachin

Hi Spacemonkey,

I recently picked up a mint condition used technics TT (it's an entry level model, but very well built) from a fellow HFV member. For someone strating out with TTs, a pre-owned one is a good alternative if you do not have the budget for a good starter TT like rega/project.

A few points to note if you buy used:
- keep a watch on the classifed section of the forum. You are sure to see some decent offer sooner or later.
- Be patient. It pays in the end.
- You must have an audition of the TT before you buy it. TT's do have delicate parts that could be damaged/worn with use; thus it is important that you see and hear the TT before you buy it.
- TTs are not plug and play. It needs 'attention and care' from you. Record cleaning is an art by itself and you can find tons of material on it! However, the reward for all the hard work is in the sweet music that only analog can provide.

Cheers,
APK

Hi,

IMO cheap(around 10k range) new TT's shd be avoided as the value for money is low. SQ is not good enough & it most probably demoralize a new listner who is just starting with vinyls. Better look for a 2nd hand TT. Any popular European(Garrard, Thorens atc) or Japanese( Sansui, Technics, Akai etc) make frm 70's & early 80's will be good enough for a beginer. And they come really cheap( at least in Calcutta). There are handfull of tables available in Calcutta 2nd hand shops ranging frm 3k to 8k of brands & models that one cannot just ignore. So why waste money on a new one? Better get hang of the new setup & when u have a proper understanding of the pros n cons of this media, decide for the next level. Meanwhile u can use that money to buy some more LP's.

Just my 2 Rs.

Thanks & Brgds

Bhaskar

Last edited:
The bare minimum will be the Pro Ject Debut 3. Please factor in the cost of a phono stage. I do not know the cost of a phono stage.

If you find the phono stage a pain to deal with, the Denon DP-300F is your best buy. It is not a high end turn table in any sense of it. The DP300F has a built in phono stage and this turn table offers some scope for improvement at a later point if you wish to do so by means of a cartridge upgrade.

Last edited:
If you are on a budget, get a used Technics. Nothing beats them in durability and reliability. They are the definition of plug and play.

The bare minimum will be the Pro Ject Debut 3. Please factor in the cost of a phono stage. I do not know the cost of a phono stage.

If you find the phono stage a pain to deal with, the Denon DP-300F is your best buy. It is not a high end turn table in any sense of it. The DP300F has a built in phono stage and this turn table offers some scope for improvement at a later point if you wish to do so by means of a cartridge upgrade.

I found one or two Denon 300f's on amazon that I can ship through Borderlinx for around 11k. My limited knowledge of. "phono stage" tells me that that is another expense that I should try and avoid if possible.

I may offer my Technics SlD-303 TT for sale,but I will avoid shipping.

Regards,

Sachin
Woah, that's awesome. Should I pm you to figure this out? Would I just connect it directly to my avr (Denon 1612) or need some other intermediate device to hook it up?

Hi,

IMO cheap(around 10k range) new TT's shd be avoided as the value for money is low. SQ is not good enough & it most probably demoralize a new listner who is just starting with vinyls. Better look for a 2nd hand TT. Any popular European(Garrard, Thorens atc) or Japanese( Sansui, Technics, Akai etc) make frm 70's & early 80's will be good enough for a beginer. And they come really cheap( at least in Calcutta). There are handfull of tables available in Calcutta 2nd hand shops ranging frm 3k to 8k of brands & models that one cannot just ignore. So why waste money on a new one? Better get hang of the new setup & when u have a proper understanding of the pros n cons of this media, decide for the next level. Meanwhile u can use that money to buy some more LP's.

Just my 2 Rs.

Thanks & Brgds

Bhaskar

hey Bhasker. A couple of friends of mine are in Kolkata right now and travelling back over the weekend. Can you hook me up with any contacts at any of these shops where I might be able to find a tt with a pre-phono on board as Sandeep suggested I would need to fix up directly with my avr. I'd greatly appreciate it if u knew any of these shops with an actual bargain buy. Let me know :)

Thanks in advance :)

Hi Spacemonkey,

I recently picked up a mint condition used technics TT (it's an entry level model, but very well built) from a fellow HFV member. For someone strating out with TTs, a pre-owned one is a good alternative if you do not have the budget for a good starter TT like rega/project.

A few points to note if you buy used:
- keep a watch on the classifed section of the forum. You are sure to see some decent offer sooner or later.
- Be patient. It pays in the end.
- You must have an audition of the TT before you buy it. TT's do have delicate parts that could be damaged/worn with use; thus it is important that you see and hear the TT before you buy it.
- TTs are not plug and play. It needs 'attention and care' from you. Record cleaning is an art by itself and you can find tons of material on it! However, the reward for all the hard work is in the sweet music that only analog can provide.

Cheers,
APK

Thanks for all the awesome titbits. I did google and read through several articles on the subject. My only problem in this entire exercise is that my avr doesn't have a Phono input, considering it's a 5.1 avr and I am just trying to put it to good use :)

I will keep all u said in mind but I doubt any of the older tt's come with a phono stage on board. Or do they?

Hi SM,

Ur friend can visit the street behind Metro cinema hall & Chandni. There are some shops who sell 2nd hand TT's. The most reputed one I suggest is "Metro Music Hall", 18 Moti Sil Street, Cal-700013, Ph- (033)22283765. They have very good collection of TT's. U can also look for a 2nd hand phono stage there. This shop also gave 6 months warranty which imo is quite ok for a 2nd hand "electronic" item. Depending on available stock I think u may get a decent TT + Pre combo within 12k budget.

Thanks & Brgds,

BhaskAr

you have 2 options: spend 10k on a Lenco, teac or ion el cheapo plastic turntable with cheap p-mount cartridges or spend 10k on a classic pre-used technics direct drive turntable with a decent cartridges...technics direct drives are built to last a life time so if you buy from a person who's handled them carefully, you'll get a great turntable...avoid buying pre-used from DJs as they technics' are usually heavily abused. once you are familiar with turntables, it would be great to venture into the world of Regas and ProJECTs.

phono stage is the easier part of the deal, you can easily get hold of one or get someone to build you one. a decent phono stage would cost about Rs.200 to build :)

Hi all,

I dont understand why a seperate Phonostage is recommended for entry level TTs, as Amps like Marantz PM6003 amd Yamaha AS500 are built with a good decent sounding Phono inputs in their pre-amps. I listen to Vinyl thro them from my Technics-TT, fitted with Shure Mx97e cart and they sound awesome. They will definitely sound better than the Phono-pre inbuilt in the TT.

Just my Rs.2/-

N.Murali

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back