Tonearm purchase - any views?

Kapeel

I am considering the Origin Live - Conqueror mk4 9.5" tonearm for purchase, for a idler drive PtP Solid 9 TT. I have not found many recommendations/reviews to read for this tonearm, compared to a Audio Origami pu7 or a Kuzma Stogi S 12, which come highly recommended at similar price points . Does anyone have feedback / recommendation or similar experience which may have convinced them to pick any one over the others?

Thanks

I am considering the Origin Live - Conqueror mk4 9.5" tonearm for purchase, for a idler drive PtP Solid 9 TT. I have not found many recommendations/reviews to read for this tonearm, compared to a Audio Origami pu7 or a Kuzma Stogi S 12, which come highly recommended at similar price points . Does anyone have feedback / recommendation or similar experience which may have convinced them to pick any one over the others?

Thanks
Hi kapeel :)

Iam actually considering a second tone arm, but am working this backwards. My current cart is EMT TSD-15 mounted on a Acoustic signature TA-1000 10 inch arm. The EMT's are as neutral as they come. And the TT can accommodate 3 arms and 2 motors. So, lately Iam considering adding a second arm and cart combo for a lush and rich sound. Been reading up on this, and have a hankering for a Koetsu black goldline for its claimed lush and rich sound, which better suits the oldies I listen to. I think @eastofthesun uses a better Koetsu at the end of his SME. The blurb on the net is that the Koetsu's work well with heavier arms. Hence Iam reading up on some arms now :)

So thats been my thinking process atleast. First decide the cart, then the arm that accommodates it, then the arm mounting kit for the TT. All the best :)

Thanks
Hi Kapeel, whats the cartridge you are planning ?

All of these are great arms and hence better to match it with the right Cartridge that you plan to use.

Iam actually considering a second tone arm, but am working this backwards. My current cart is EMT TSD-15 mounted on a Acoustic signature TA-1000 10 inch arm. The EMT's are as neutral as they come. And the TT can accommodate 3 arms and 2 motors. So, lately Iam considering adding a second arm and cart combo for a lush and rich sound. Been reading up on this, and have a hankering for a Koetsu black goldline for its claimed lush and rich sound, which better suits the oldies I listen to. I think @eastofthesun uses a better Koetsu at the end of his SME. The blurb on the net is that the Koetsu's work well with heavier arms. Hence Iam reading up on some arms now :)

So thats been my thinking process atleast. First decide the cart, then the arm that accommodates it, then the arm mounting kit for the TT. All the best :)
Hi YM,

Thanks for the reply, and your approach makes sense for a $3k cartridge. I am however quite the noob and at this point only looking to upgrade from an entry level Audiomods classic.

Only reason I am considering the OL - Conqueror is that its available in India, at a right price, but I did not find a lot of feedback on the arm. Hence wondering if there is someone who purchased an arm at similar price point and why?

Thanks

Hi Kapeel, whats the cartridge you are planning ?

All of these are great arms and hence better to match it with the right Cartridge that you plan to use.
Hi Arj.

Thanks for feedback. I currently have a Goldring 1042 which I plan to listen for sometime, I actually want to have a listen of few of the classic mm cartridges before I dip into a MC.

Thanks

Hi YM,

Thanks for the reply, and your approach makes sense for a $3k cartridge. I am however quite the noob and at this point only looking to upgrade from an entry level Audiomods classic.

Only reason I am considering the OL - Conqueror is that its available in India, at a right price, but I did not find a lot of feedback on the arm. Hence wondering if there is someone who purchased an arm at similar price point and why?

Thanks
Iam a noob too :p. And iam not sure I will carry out the threat of dropping 3k on a cart either 🤣

Coming back to your query, the origin live arms are very well regarded. For some feed back, better to search on the UK forums - hifiwigwam and pinkfishmedia. All the best :)

Edit : I have'nt checked the specs of your goldring cart. Fondly hope you've already verified the weight and arm compliance to start with.

Hi Arj.

Thanks for feedback. I currently have a Goldring 1042 which I plan to listen for sometime, I actually want to have a listen of few of the classic mm cartridges before I dip into a MC.

Thanks
Hi Kapeel,

In that case I would suggest a Rega 880 or a Thomas Schick and saving the money for something else. The Goldring is a classic and will go well with this as well as the Lenco. in fact Jean Nantais , who "rediscovered" the repurposed Lenco and hence in some way initiated the PTP Solid used to suggest the Rega with a Goldring. I think FM @Dr.Bass has a almost new Thomas Schick which might be for sale.

What Phono do you use ?

Once you play around more and mover to higher end cartridges, the Kuzma or a Moerch would be great additions but better to go for them once you move on to other cartridges.

The arm for the TSD is the EMT tonearm ! or an older Ortofon. The Thomas Schick will be the alternative.

BTW is yours the TSD or the XSD ? the first fits only EMT connectors while the latter can connect with SME connectors which most other tonearms use. I myself have an XSD 15 which i really like and use with the Thomas Schick and it works well and deserves a really good tonearm.

Hi Kapeel,

In that case I would suggest a Rega 880 or a Thomas Schick and saving the money for something else. The Goldring is a classic and will go well with this as well as the Lenco. in fact Jean Nantais , who "rediscovered" the repurposed Lenco and hence in some way initiated the PTP Solid used to suggest the Rega with a Goldring. I think FM @Dr.Bass has a almost new Thomas Schick which might be for sale.

What Phono do you use ?

Once you play around more and mover to higher end cartridges, the Kuzma or a Moerch would be great additions but better to go for them once you move on to other cartridges.

I have a mm EAR phonobox.

If the current cart is set aside, in your view should I reconsider purchase of the OL arm for a Kuzma Stogi S 12 or Moerch DP8 ? All are medium mass tonearms and good match for low/medium compliance carts.

OL actually is a straight drop into my current arm board with rega hole.

Last edited:
I have a mm EAR phonobox.

If the current cart is set aside, in your view should I reconsider purchase of the OL arm for a Kuzma Stogi S 12 or Moerch DP8 ? All are medium mass tonearms and good match for low/medium compliance carts.

OL actually is a straight drop into my current arm board with rega hole.
you will do very good with any of the above ! although I am personally inclined towards the Moerch, it is just a personal taste and everyone will give you a different view.

I like ( more like Love) the Moerch since it is supposed to be a great match with an idler.
Next would be the Kuzma.

Hi Kapeel,

What Phono do you use ?

The arm for the TSD is the EMT tonearm ! or an older Ortofon. The Thomas Schick will be the alternative.

BTW is yours the TSD or the XSD ? the first fits only EMT connectors while the latter can connect with SME connectors which most other tonearms use. I myself have an XSD 15 which i really like and use with the Thomas Schick and it works well and deserves a really good tonearm.
Hi Arjun :)

Mine is a naked TSD, so didnt have any issues mounting on the AS TA-1000 tone arm. Though connecting the fragile cables was a real royal pain. I intend to keep this combo as it works well. The idea is to have a different flavor of sound when needed, hence the idea of a second parallel tonearm + cart. But there are other things to get done in the meanwhile and too many projects on hand. So definitely will be sometime before I do go down that route :)

Hi Arjun,

Thanks for the recommendations, unfortunately Moerch is currently outside my budget and Kuzma I kinda don't understand this arm, a lower priced 12" arm with a VTA tower which I may not need.

Since there are not many takers for the OL arm, I have decided to go with the AMG 9W1 arm, its recommended by the analog gods, available for purchase in India with full warranty, ticks all the right boxes for me.

Best regards,

Hi,

I already had a SME armboard for the TT, hence purchased the SME adapter for 9W1 arm. The dealer has sent attached picture (9W1 SME adapter) and says the PTS distance will be true once it is mounted on the SME armboard / TT.

I have however seen pictures of SME adapters on the internet with groves on the slides of adapter which I assume is to adjust the PTS as per requirement on different TTs as shown in another attachment.

If I go as per the dealer it means there is a standard distance in all TTs which accept a 9" arms between the spindle and hole for the arm board?

Please can someone shed light and correct my understanding.

Attachments

• 9W1 SME adapter .jpg
    9W1 SME adapter .jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 7
  • Adjustable SME adapter from internet.png
    Adjustable SME adapter from internet.png
    65.8 KB · Views: 7
Hi,

I already had a SME armboard for the TT, hence purchased the SME adapter for 9W1 arm. The dealer has sent attached picture (9W1 SME adapter) and says the PTS distance will be true once it is mounted on the SME armboard / TT.

I have however seen pictures of SME adapters on the internet with groves on the slides of adapter which I assume is to adjust the PTS as per requirement on different TTs as shown in another attachment.

If I go as per the dealer it means there is a standard distance in all TTs which accept a 9" arms between the spindle and hole for the arm board?

Please can someone shed light and correct my understanding.

Each arm has a pivot-to-spindle distance which may or may not match that of another 9" arm. Likewise, with overhang. The difference is in millimetres. The advantage with the SME base is that you can move the adapter back and forth till you get the tracking angle perfect using the standard protectors.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back