Building a crossover for my vintage speakers

Manish Sharma

Hi is there anyone here who can build a new best quality crossover for my 48 year old vintage speakers...I want to upgrade the quality since these have gone old and one has suggested to upgrade..Here are the pics attached of the old crossovers....

Attachments

• IMG_1296.jpg
    IMG_1296.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_1297.jpg
    IMG_1297.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_1298.jpg
    IMG_1298.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_1299.jpg
    IMG_1299.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 46
Hi is there anyone here who can build a new best quality crossover for my 48 year old vintage speakers...I want to upgrade the quality since these have gone old and one has suggested to upgrade..Here are the pics attached of the old crossovers....
You don't have to bother about the inductors. Just change the 3.3 uF 50v caps with a new one with 3.3 uF with 50v or higher

Hi Folks...I just forgot to tell you about the changed tweeters of the speakers...Both the tweeters have been changed a year ago as they werent working...I installed the silk dome tweeters from the doogee sound...Is the mismatching may be the reason of distortion...Since the high frequency is harsh sounding to my ears as compared to my HT...The original tweeter size was 4inch.

What speakers are those ? If you changed the tweeters, a redesign on the crossover is needed. It will not sound like the designer intended, unless you replaced the tweeter with the exact same replacement. Designing a crossover isn’t that simple without doing some simulation and measurements and know how in DIY.

try using some app on the phone to see the overall freq response now and then we have an idea where to start with.

What speakers are those ? If you changed the tweeters, a redesign on the crossover is needed. It will not sound like the designer intended, unless you replaced the tweeter with the exact same replacement. Designing a crossover isn’t that simple without doing some simulation and measurements and know how in DIY.

try using some app on the phone to see the overall freq response now and then we have an idea where to start with.
The speakers are Sony SS414 which were introduced in Germany...Couldn't get any information about them online...The woofer speaker is 10" 80 watt maximum ... I installed Doogee Sound silk dome tweeters 8ohms 30 watt....which didnt match the quality these speakers produced....I could only arrange one pic from internet of the inside view of speaker...I hope you can guess something about the matched tweeter...Thankss

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-10-12 at 6.29.36 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-10-12 at 6.29.36 PM.png
    1 MB · Views: 29
Vintage loudspeaker system

Woofer 10 inch cone type
Tweeter 4 inch cone type
Impedance 8 ohm
Maximum power output 80 watts
System reflex Radiator passive drive

This is the only info I could see about the speakers

The speakers are Sony SS414 which were introduced in Germany...Couldn't get any information about them online...The woofer speaker is 10" 80 watt maximum ... I installed Doogee Sound silk dome tweeters 8ohms 30 watt....which didnt match the quality these speakers produced....I could only arrange one pic from internet of the inside view of speaker...I hope you can guess something about the matched tweeter...Thankss
This is the original tweeter part as per internet. Seems nothing exotic but probably custom made for those series of box. Unless you have a measurement of the current frequency response we won’t have an idea about where to start. The dogee sound tweeter may be alright, but it may not be having the same frequency response of these original tweeters, which means you need a different crossover circuit to make them sound similar.

Attachments

• IMG_8843.png
    IMG_8843.png
    431.9 KB · Views: 25
This is the original tweeter part as per internet. Seems nothing exotic but probably custom made for those series of box. Unless you have a measurement of the current frequency response we won’t have an idea about where to start. The dogee sound tweeter may be alright, but it may not be having the same frequency response of these original tweeters, which means you need a different crossover circuit to make them sound similar.
Ok brother But how to measure the frequency response ?? plz guide

Three-tone road (3.5" 8-ohm 3W treble horn. 10" 8-ohm 80W mid-bass horn. 10" bass epicenter passive horn)

8 ohm 80W 92db

This is the only info I could retrieve after spending hours on net fidning about these speakers .... And here are the specs of doogee tweeter I have used -

DE20C-05 SILK DOME TWEETER 3.22X4.33" 8Ohms 30W​

Nominal Impedance - 8 Ohms

Resonance Frequency - 1.1KHz

Sensitivity, 1W/1m(E) - 92dB

Power Capacity ,RMS(Pe) - 20W

Power Capacity ,Peak - 30W

Frequency Range(-10dB) - Fo--20 kHz

Voice Coil - 26mm

Winding Width - 2mm

Former - 2

Wire Type - CCWA

Magnet - 70mm Barium ferrite

Cone Material - Armilla

Frame - ABS Plastic

Cone Size - 30mm

THE sensitivity is same that is 92 db

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back