Building a home theatre in incremental steps

HKD

Hi All,
Recently thought of buying a home theatre to listen to songs(30%) and watch movies(70%).So googled the net to see reviews on good home theatres and came across this amazing forum and found out that good home theatres doesnt come in a box, you need to build it!!
So just wanted help from you buddies on how to build it with an incremental budget.

Budget is around 25 K till next 4-5 months(will invest another 20 post that).
So how do I start it? Get an AVR for 20-22 K and rest for speakers( can I get speakers at 3 K as starters?!!!) then get tweeters and woofers later?Can anyone
guide in what to get and how?

Details:
Music: I will mostly listen to hard rock, alternative and FM(that makes it new bollywood songs!)
Movies:Mostly war,thrillers
Room size: 12X14
Channels: 7.1

HKD
Gurgaon

Last edited:
Hi, HKD

welcome to the forum.

Like you are assuming you can't buy tweeters, woofers and speakers unless you are building a speaker yourself.

You get speakers readily built for different purposes like front channels, center for dialogues and surrounds. A sub woofer active or passive, active will be with built in amplifier. All these cost a lot, if you have to build separately.

As for your budget I think you should start off with budget home theatre in a box. Fiddle around that for some time until you learn. Then you can start replacing one by one and over time you can build HT of your taste.

I think you should start with an Onkyo HT 5.1 which comes around your price.
They have a package for 7.1 also.

Read other posts also for more detailed requisites.

cheers

Hi All,
Recently thought of buying a home theatre to listen to songs(30%) and watch movies(70%).So googled the net to see reviews on good home theatres and came across this amazing forum and found out that good home theatres doesnt come in a box, you need to build it!!
So just wanted help from you buddies on how to build it with an incremental budget.

Budget is around 25 K till next 4-5 months(will invest another 20 post that).
So how do I start it? Get an AVR for 20-22 K and rest for speakers( can I get speakers at 3 K as starters?!!!) then get tweeters and woofers later?Can anyone
guide in what to get and how?

Details:
Music: I will mostly listen to hard rock, alternative and FM(that makes it new bollywood songs!)
Movies:Mostly war,thrillers
Room size: 12X14
Channels: 7.1

HKD
Gurgaon

Hi HKD,

First off welcome!

You can start with the entry level Onkyo HT Systems like the HT-3100 or the HT-3105 or if you up the budget to around 30K then you will get excellent VFM HT Systems like the HT-5100 or HT5105 from Onkyo. I agree with what pradski says. You cannot assemble part by part. Start off with an entry level HT System in its entirety and then after you have gained experience you can start replacing parts like the AVR, speakers, get a good source, etc.

Hi,
Thanks to both you guys for the advise, and i too realise now that being a newbie, I should be sticking to a HTIB. Now, have not auditioned for any of them till now, but would like to know your opinions on the three options that I have put below:

1. Sonodyne cinque package
2. Onkyo HT-3105
3. Yamaha YHT 195 ( better cos it has active sub?, but more costly I presume)
4. Any other for 25 K budget?

Have heard lots of people here saying that Onkyo is not VFM. So should I look at the Sonodyne package with more intent?

HKD

Hi,
Thanks to both you guys for the advise, and i too realise now that being a newbie, I should be sticking to a HTIB. Now, have not auditioned for any of them till now, but would like to know your opinions on the three options that I have put below:

1. Sonodyne cinque package
2. Onkyo HT-3105
3. Yamaha YHT 195 ( better cos it has active sub?, but more costly I presume)
4. Any other for 25 K budget?

Have heard lots of people here saying that Onkyo is not VFM. So should I look at the Sonodyne package with more intent?

HKD

Hi HKD,

You cannot really go wrong with Yamaha and Onkyo. Financially the Onkyo will make more sense especially if you are picking it up in a deal and if it has anything else additionally like a Philips DVD player thrown in free. The Onkyo HT-3105 is really great VFM!

I cannot say about Sonodyne never having heard them personally. Coming to the sound, I have auditioned Yamaha and Onkyo extensively and both are great. You can chose the one that appeals to you the most since you will be looking/listening and spending time with it.

Hey HKD,

Like moser says you cannot be wrong with those two since you are looking at movies at 70%. At same time sonodyne has a good reputation among Indian brands.

In movies yamaha goes well, they got lot of variety in terms of cinema stages and do quite well in music also. But their speakers are a little dull specially the surrounds. Onkyo compensates that. My thoughts.

Dear HKD

Since you are ready to spend another 20K within next few months , i will opt for a separates rather then the HTIB ,You can buy a AV receiver and wait for sometime and then buy a floorstanding and later add a Centre , surround and a sub. You can look for receivers from Marantz , yamaha , Harman Kardon , Denon , etc etc. This will be much better then any Htib and you can upgrade when ever possible.

regards
Tharun.

Hi,

I you want step by step then you need AVR & Front spks.
AVR starts from Rs 15000 onwards.You can go for Onkyo or Yamaha.
A bookshelf will start from 6000(Indian) & 8000(wharfedale 9,mission m30)
Total cost 21 to 23k

If you want agood HTib,then Onkyo HT-S5105 or 5100.
Its above your budget,but if you opt for installments-easy.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back