Building Dedicated Hometheater in terrace

After long struggle, the room is in some shape now. Had a big chaos with the building contractors and now, the bare room is ready with electricity.

And, I am in confusion what to do next, may be few years back, I would have Just put the carpet, false ceiling and would have moved all the equipment's. Now, this forum spoiled my brain :) too many questions and doubts sprouting :). And going to a Home theater designers or interiors not helping much, as they are not having good idea (Chennai) or just their focus on Budget, cost etc.

So, as usual request your ideas here please.

1. Final room size 13.5 W x 20.5 L x 10.1 H

2. Two Doors no windows, (Planning to have 2 acoustic doors).

Most of the interior designers and so called home theater designers in Chennai, suggesting the following:

1. Wall treatment with air gap from the wall and Aluminum or wooden GI> Wood wool board >Foam > Fabric gripper > Fabric.
2. Or With air gap > Aluminum or Wooden GI >rockwool or synthwool slab > perforated mdf> Foam> Fabric Gripper> Fabric
3. Or Pet panels https://jayswal.in/web/tacet-pet-polyester-acoustic-panels/ something like this.

For Ceiling :

1. Perforated MDF backed with synth wool with whatever thickness 12mm, 24 mm etc etc.
2. Or Acoustic boards from Armstrong or other brand.

Any suggestions or ideas would be a great help.

Thanks
Dina
hi
i am seeing your thread for the first time and regret not having seen it earlier....i could have given some tips of my experience.
any way i will share my experience....
1. room size - you are almost near one of the golden ratios for an ideal room acoustically...Ratio B of Sepmeyer's golden room ratios for room size needing minimal acoustic treatment.
2. i used regular ceiling panels of the type used in old cinema houses. there is air gap of 9" above the ceiling panels.
3. my walls are bare, with placement of DIY acoustic panels as required. location decided by simple reflection in the mirror method.
4. concrete flooring covered with carpet underlay and then carpeted.
you do need a certain minimum expenditure to get a good acoustically ideal HT. above that , there is no limit to what can be spent. but never stray from your goal....i have seen HT installations costing a lot sounding horrible.
5. my screen is DIY 138" 16:9 size, Al. channel frame with regular flex printing polymer sheet in reverse. attached screen shot is from 720p panny.
best of luck

Attachments

• ceiling.TILES.jpg
    ceiling.TILES.jpg
    155.5 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_0454.JPG
    IMG_0454.JPG
    169.7 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_0441.JPG
    IMG_0441.JPG
    210.5 KB · Views: 90
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 128
hi
i am seeing your thread for the first time and regret not having seen it earlier....i could have given some tips of my experience.
any way i will share my experience....
1. room size - you are almost near one of the golden ratios for an ideal room acoustically...Ratio B of Sepmeyer's golden room ratios for room size needing minimal acoustic treatment.
2. i used regular ceiling panels of the type used in old cinema houses. there is air gap of 9" above the ceiling panels.
3. my walls are bare, with placement of DIY acoustic panels as required. location decided by simple reflection in the mirror method.
4. concrete flooring covered with carpet underlay and then carpeted.
you do need a certain minimum expenditure to get a good acoustically ideal HT. above that , there is no limit to what can be spent. but never stray from your goal....i have seen HT installations costing a lot sounding horrible.
5. my screen is DIY 138" 16:9 size, Al. channel frame with regular flex printing polymer sheet in reverse. attached screen shot is from 720p panny.
best of luck
Thanks a lot Sir! Sorry, was little away from forum last week.

1. Yes, I tried to achieve the nearest and as of now, i am treating to treat the room with my existing absorption panels (Think will have around 12).
2. I am having around 1 feet air gap.
3. Will try it.
4. Yes, that's the idea :) but thickness not sure how much i can go for, 1 inch max ?

And, questions on going for AT screen, As of now I am having Tower speakers as LR and Emotiva C2+ and Rythmik FVX subwoofer. So, if i need to use the AT screen, i have to raise the front stage for 2.5 feet to tuck in the subwoofer below the stage.

Also, i cannot fully cover the subwoofer in the front stage as it will consume 3 feet of my length.

If i raise the front stage to 2.5 feet, the Towers are going to be on top of the stage which will increase the tweeter position above my Ear level.

Any suggestions please ? How to build the front stage for AT screen and put the towers speakers and subwooferv?

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back