Building Pencil 12 Series with Alpair 12

hemanth.hg

Finally I got the driver Alpair 12 (Alpair 12 Driver | Markaudio) (my brother brought it from Hong Kong) and it cost me 2700 HKD for a pair. I have decided to go for Pencil 12 Series Plan (Pencil 12 Series Plan | Markaudio). My first task is to find the right carpenter.

There are two carpenters ready to do this, the first one is asking for 1.5K (I will be providing him all the raw materials), the second carpenter is asking for flat 5K(includes MDF, internal bracing and veneering). Most probably I will go with the second carpenter as he is very experienced.

I will keep you updated on this and appreciate your comments/suggestions on this.

Thanks,
Hemanth.

The Alpairs seem to be getting a lot of attention of late! Best of luck! Would be following your project closely.

P.S: Based on what I've read a good marine-grade ply appears to be a much better alternative to MDF. There are quite a few threads in DIYA discussing this...

Thanks for your response.

How different (sound wise) is Super pencil when compared to Pencil series(apart from the size of the speaker)?

Thanks,
Hemanth.

Thanks for your response.

How different (sound wise) is Super pencil when compared to Pencil series(apart from the size of the speaker)?

Thanks,
Hemanth.

Good question asked to the wrong person :lol:

Can you try posting here? You will get a reply from the designer himself.

And it's spelt "pensil" not "pencil"

Edit: Also any cabinet suggestions that you may need - the FR speaker forum in diyAudio is the BEST place to ask.

Last edited:
Oh yeah, I never noticed 's' in Pensil :),

Anyways I'm in touch with Mark Fenlon, so I will send him a mail on that.

Maybe wrong but I don't think Mark designed the Pensil & SuperPensil. Dave from planet10 hi-fi did. If you post in diyAudio - Dave will respond, he always does.

Finally started the work on the Pensil series speaker (15 days back). It is almost at the ending stage. I'm looking out for two things now
  1. Building a Speaker grill: The actual grill is being built, but I'm not getting the speaker grill guides(Small Grill Guides 12 Pair | Parts-Express.com). I checked with Murthy(Tools & Trades,Commercial Street) and he doesn't have it anymore and no chances of getting new stock.
  2. Buying/building speaker spikes: Last time I used something similiar to this(Black Speaker Spike | Parts-Express.com).
Any idea/thoughts on the above, or any new design ideas which can be easily implemented.

Thanks in advance.

awesome. Yesterday I placed order for alpair 7. my friend will bring it in december from US. Plan is to initially make some small desktop speakers, wait for break in, enjoy for some time, get the overnight sensations also ready, and then give something more appropriate to the 7s.
Cant wait to get started.:)

Finally started the work on the Pensil series speaker (15 days back). It is almost at the ending stage. I'm looking out for two things now
  1. Building a Speaker grill: The actual grill is being built, but I'm not getting the speaker grill guides(Small Grill Guides 12 Pair | Parts-Express.com). I checked with Murthy(Tools & Trades,Commercial Street) and he doesn't have it anymore and no chances of getting new stock.
  2. Buying/building speaker spikes: Last time I used something similiar to this(Black Speaker Spike | Parts-Express.com).
Any idea/thoughts on the above, or any new design ideas which can be easily implemented.

Thanks in advance.

I used nylon wall plugs with success :). It's easy to install, keep the grill over the enclosure, use a drill bit of slightly less diameter than the wall plug, drill through the grill frame to the enclosure wall, Fix a screw through plug and stick the combo in the grill with Araldite, Cut the bottom of the plug so that the screw is exposed at the opposite side and can fit in another plug fixed at the enclosure wall. I used regular plugs which are flimsy and difficult to work with - try to get a big one if you wish to try out.

BTW you might find something useful in police road - it's about a Km from SP road.

Regds...

Last edited:
Finally I bought the speaker grill guide from one of the shop in Police Road.

Antony, thanks a lot. I didn't know about that place at all, it has got lot of speaker driver repair shops.

Thanks all for your guidance.

Anil messaged me that he is building a pair of speaker spikes and I liked that idea & most probably I'm going to borrow the same design from him.

Finally I bought the speaker grill guide from one of the shop in Police Road.

Antony, thanks a lot. I didn't know about that place at all, it has got lot of speaker driver repair shops.

Thanks all for your guidance.

Anil messaged me that he is building a pair of speaker spikes and I liked that idea & most probably I'm going to borrow the same design from him.

You're welcome, I am toying with the idea of circular grills for my current project, might have to pay a visit to police road soon.

Regds...

Last edited:
Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back