Buying 5.1 Digital to Analog Gear

ksature

Guys I am planning to buy this 5.1 Digital to Analog Gear from Rediff Shopping site. This device claims to produce 5.1 surround sound processing 2 channel feeds with the Dolby Digital Pro Logic II technology:licklips:

I will be connecting it to my 40" LED TV which has stereo output. If anyone have used the device, let me know whether it will be a good choice or not. I don't want to spend a lot of money and not concerned about the quality much.

Buy 5.1 Audio Digital Sound Decoder Digital To Analog Online | Best Prices in India: Rediff Shopping

5.1 AUDIO GEAR DIGITAL SOUND DECODER.DIGITAL TO ANALOG CONVERTER, DOLBY,XBOX

Digital 5.1 Coaxial Audio Gear Digital sound Decoder

PRODUCT FEATURES

SPDIF and COAXIAL Audio Decoder, output 5.1 channel analog audio
- Special design for the amplifier which is without fiber and coaxial function
- Transfers the DTS/AC-3 digital signal data into 5.1 sound track output
- Transfers the stereo(R/L) audio signal data into 5.1 sound track output
- Two SPDIF input, one coaxial input, one stereo input
- One button to switch mode, simple to operate.
- Auto detect AC3/DTS digital audio signal, decode format: Dolby Digital EX/DTS-ES/Dolby Pro Logic II/DTS/AC3 Dolby Digital
- S/N: 120db
- Stereo separate degree: 80db (1KHZ)
- Noise output frequency: 200uV
- Simulate output frequency: 2.2V
- Input interfaces: SPDIF1, SPDIF2, coaxial, AUX
- Output interfaces: FL, FR, CEN, SW, SL, and SR

Convert DTS/AC3 source digital audio to analog 5.1 audio or stereo audio output
The analog stereo (L / R) signals after digital processing chip handle convert it to analog 5.1 channel output
Multi-channel audio input (SPDIF , Coaxial, Stereo) 2 x SPDIF input, 1 x Coaxial Input, 1 x Stereo
Analog 5.1-channel or Stereo output
USB 5V Output
5.1 analog audio output, will auto work with different amplifier and speakers to get different sound effects easy to connect many entertainment devices which with optical and coaxial digital signal and analog output signals (such as: set-top boxes, HD players, Blu-ray DVD, PS2, PS3, XBOX360)
Signal to Noise: 120db
Degree of Separation: 85db
Frequency Response: (20Hz ~ 20 KHz) +/- 0.5db
Max Output Volt: 2.2V
COAXIAL DTS/AC3 5.1 Digital Audio Gear Decoder - Click Image to Close
- Supports network player, 1080P Media player, HDTV DVD player, blue rayDVD, DVD, Wii, PS2, PS3, XBOX360, DM500S, and DM800HD etc.
- Stable and best quality, Plug and play
Dimensions: 4.17 in x 2.91 in x 1.02 in (10.6 cm x 7.4 cm x 2.6 cm)
Weight: 5.40 oz (153 g)

Attachments

• A1.jpg
    A1.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 121
I have this device, i have used this device for sometime and i still have this device lying unused. Biggest Problem with this device apart from being of local make is No remote. For every single input change/ prologic activation/deactivation u have to go to the device.

i am also misunderstanding your purpose and application.

Please clarify - Is The TV's 2 channel to 5.1 pro logic your only requirement ? Also, what is your 5.1 speaker system brand/model that u r connecting this device to ?

If you have tatasky/airtel/D2H or a dvd/bluray player, then using their optical/coaxial out to get true 5.1 audio seems to be more worth the purpose of buying this device. And again, remember, no remote to change source input. everything is manual on the console.

This device and many versions of it are also available on ebay india. Very frankly these are cheap local devices which will surely solve the purpose, give true 5.1 audio, convert 2 ch to pro logic yes. However, to be frank, the only minimum decent way to get Dolby Pro logic/PLII/PLIIx is by an AVR based system. No matter how cheap and how many changed hands, an old AVR is still 5 times better than this thing. But since u have already clarified, quality is not your criteria atleast look at all these lower priced alternatives in this link before buying.

Digital to Analog 5.1 | eBay

Last edited:
I have this device, i have used this device for sometime and i still have this device lying unused. Biggest Problem with this device apart from being of local make is No remote. For every single input change/ prologic activation/deactivation u have to go to the device.

i am also misunderstanding your purpose and application.

Please clarify - Is The TV's 2 channel to 5.1 pro logic your only requirement ? Also, what is your 5.1 speaker system brand/model that u r connecting this device to ?

If you have tatasky/airtel/D2H or a dvd/bluray player, then using their optical/coaxial out to get true 5.1 audio seems to be more worth the purpose of buying this device

first of all, thanks a lot for your quick response :) now let me clarify your points:
1. Yes, Pro Logic ll is my only requirement as most of the media which i have on my laptop is stereo only and I also will be connecting it to the gear and expecting to get a surround sound.

2. My room size is 9" by 10", therefore I am not getting powerfull speaker system. I haven't bought one yet but going with F&D F6000 5.1 Speakers. I have experianced their performance and looking at my room size these are perfect for me. These speakers have analog inputs.

3. As of now, I own a SD Airtel Digital TV Set top box. I havent upgradet to HD yet :p It sounds weird, but thats true! Well, it has analog output which I will be hooking to my LED and SPDIF (optical) output of the TV will be connected to this gear if purchased!

Actually, I am a student undergoing my articleship and recently spent a lot of bucks on my high end laptop. So, I wont be able to buy an expensive AVR.

I am not concerned much about quality but still would like to know whether the gadget is capable of producing true 5.1 surround sound or not!! Does it sounds cheap as the brand or is has decent quality?

1. Yes, Pro Logic ll is my only requirement as most of the media which i have on my laptop is stereo only and I also will be connecting it to the gear and expecting to get a surround sound.

Pretty much any media player will do this on the laptop itself.

Get Daum PotPlayer, it has Dolby Digital upmixing.

PS - Stereo and mono converted to 5.1 does not always sound that great. Maybe I'm a purist, but unless its a real DTS or Dolby Digital track you won't get the 5.1 SFX.

And BTW, you will need 5.1 speakers too, considering your budget computer speakers should do it, that is if you already don't have 5.1 speakers.

Pretty much any media player will do this on the laptop itself.

Get Daum PotPlayer, it has Dolby Digital upmixing.

PS - Stereo and mono converted to 5.1 does not always sound that great. Maybe I'm a purist, but unless its a real DTS or Dolby Digital track you won't get the 5.1 SFX.

And BTW, you will need 5.1 speakers too, considering your budget computer speakers should do it, that is if you already don't have 5.1 speakers.

I don't think a Media Player will help me as the output hardware will be producing stereo feeds to the speakers. My Laptop don't have HD Audio:indifferent14: Well, I will be purchasing F&D F6000 5.1 Surround Sound System in a couple of days. Hope the setup will fulfill my desire :licklips:

I don't think a Media Player will help me as the output hardware will be producing stereo feeds to the speakers. My Laptop don't have HD Audio:indifferent14: Well, I will be purchasing F&D F6000 5.1 Surround Sound System in a couple of days. Hope the setup will fulfill my desire :licklips:

Some confusion here...

Only a real 5.1 track will play in 5.1, i.e. vocals to the center, explosions to sound, creaking noises to the surrounds... though this is typically in movies.

Coming to music, an AVR will upmix stereo music to 5.1, like Dolby Pro Logic and Dolby Pro Logic II. Ditto for DTS Neo from DTS, Inc. Now an AVR will do this better, but the same can be done by various plugins and media players like PotPlayer and even Foobar (search for Foobar upmixing addons). Now this is not always true 5.1 because sometimes the AVR or software will output sound to all speakers (5.1) instead of 2 speakers like in stereo (Creative used to do it this way, CMSS). Sometimes they will create surround FX and use a more true 5.1 approach, but again this does not come close to a true 5.1 track i.e. DTS or Dolby Digital.

PS - Never heard the F&D myself, but they should be a good starting point.

Some confusion here...

Only a real 5.1 track will play in 5.1, i.e. vocals to the center, explosions to sound, creaking noises to the surrounds... though this is typically in movies.

Coming to music, an AVR will upmix stereo music to 5.1, like Dolby Pro Logic and Dolby Pro Logic II. Ditto for DTS Neo from DTS, Inc. Now an AVR will do this better, but the same can be done by various plugins and media players like PotPlayer and even Foobar (search for Foobar upmixing addons). Now this is not always true 5.1 because sometimes the AVR or software will output sound to all speakers (5.1) instead of 2 speakers like in stereo (Creative used to do it this way, CMSS). Sometimes they will create surround FX and use a more true 5.1 approach, but again this does not come close to a true 5.1 track i.e. DTS or Dolby Digital.

PS - Never heard the F&D myself, but they should be a good starting point.

Thanks bro, Using your suggested players and add ons, movies on my laptop will get upmixed! Though not true surround, I dont mind as far as I am getting sound from all directions :p

Que came to ma mind was of my LED, I cant use these softwares for the TV!!! Thats why I decided to purchase this Digital to analog Gear. I am not a fan of DVD or Blue Ray Playes and thats why wont buy an expensive AVR just to watch TV shows which are not being telecasted in Dolby Digital or DTS sound.

Last edited:
I dont mind as far as I am getting sound from all directions :p

Dude if that is the case then why DOLBY pro logic only ? Why need the gadget at all ?? I am going to solve your issues once and for all. Your problem is solvable without any gear. F&D F6000/6000U has its own inbuilt prologic. U press that one button and sound will come from all speakers and will come very aggressively. I myself have owned both F&D F6000 and F6000U very recently. Stop before you do any more mistake.

The important thing to know now is how low you want to go when u say u dont care about quality. The most important thing here is that F6000 and F6000U do reproduce surround from stereo source in two radically different ways. here it is from my more than sufficient experience of both:

F6000 - It works on the principle of the oldest and very first type of Dolby prologic. Once you activate prologic,
Dialogue/Vocal is centered in center channel with little or more spread in front L R depending on source. Front L, R does not get duplicated in surround speakers and hence dialogue will very faintly or not at all come from rear speakers. The Stereo image instead (the collective impact of stereo field if u know what i mean) of Front L, R which contains selected sounds based on an algorithm gets extracted from Front L R and is sent to both rear L and R identically. In sum, one artificially created surround channel is duplicated between rear L and R. It generates a NOT 'in your face' surround image and is not as obvious as front L R, which is how ideally pro logic should be. You have to be in a center place of room to feel the final effect.

F6000U - It works on principle of duplication of stereo channels. Once activated,
Dialogue/Vocal gets centered in center channel but it will also come clearly from Front L, R, and rear L and R. This is because Front L and R are duplicated in rear L and R. And in this case, rear L and R are not identical. Exactly FL goes to RL and FR to RR. Now for many people this is more preferable as at any point in the room it is filled with with perfect stereo sound and dialogue is clearer bec its coming from all directions, and above all, creates 'in your face' loud stereo from rear channels. And so obviously u need not sit exactly in center to feel the effect.

3. As of now, I own a SD Airtel Digital TV Set top box. I havent upgradet to HD yet :p It sounds weird, but thats true! Well, it has analog output which I will be hooking to my LED and SPDIF (optical) output of the TV will be connected to this gear if purchased!
F&D will fabulously do this job as very few SD channels have got a really good quality stereo broadcast so any kind of prologic is sufficient for such sources. Even if you upgrade to HD soon, the better stereo will sound even better in 5.1.

I am not concerned much about quality but still would like to know whether the gadget is capable of producing true 5.1 surround sound or not!! Does it sounds cheap as the brand or is has decent quality?
The gadget and F&D will both produce true 5.1 from true 5.1 sources. However for the prologic function, F&D will also do a great job...just that it will not necessarily be the DOLBY pro logic. But again as the gadget is local make, use of word Dolby is as good as any.

The gadget produces pro logic in the same way as F6000 (not 6000U) with only difference being gadget will not send identical signal to rear L and R. it will be independent signals but trust me the difference is not at all identifiable unless you r really a high-end purist in audio.

Final Word, your purpose is solvable with or without the gadget with very minute variances between F6000 and the gadget and a considerably different variant in F6000U- U just have to take a call yourself. Peace.

Last edited:
If you buy this product,you need a 5.1 amp to play it.So why not get a HTiB which has stereo and digital input?
Buying it ,you can easily upmix 2 ch to 5.1 OR even play real 5.1 movies.

F6000 - It works on the principle of the oldest and very first type of Dolby prologic. Once you activate prologic,
Dialogue/Vocal is centered in center channel with little or more spread in front L R depending on source. Front L, R does not get duplicated in surround speakers and hence dialogue will very faintly or not at all come from rear speakers. The Stereo image instead (the collective impact of stereo field if u know what i mean) of Front L, R which contains selected sounds based on an algorithm gets extracted from Front L R and is sent to both rear L and R identically. In sum, one artificially created surround channel is duplicated between rear L and R. It generates a NOT 'in your face' surround image and is not as obvious as front L R, which is how ideally pro logic should be. You have to be in a center place of room to feel the final effect.

F6000U - It works on principle of duplication of stereo channels. Once activated,
Dialogue/Vocal gets centered in center channel but it will also come clearly from Front L, R, and rear L and R. This is because Front L and R are duplicated in rear L and R. And in this case, rear L and R are not identical. Exactly FL goes to RL and FR to RR. Now for many people this is more preferable as at any point in the room it is filled with with perfect stereo sound and dialogue is clearer bec its coming from all directions, and above all, creates 'in your face' loud stereo from rear channels. And so obviously u need not sit exactly in center to feel the effect.

So, F6000U would be my choice:licklips: You described exactly what I wanted! By the way, what you described was about Dialogues and what about music?? For the background music it will use the same principal or the music will be distributed to all channels evenly?

F&D will fabulously do this job as very few SD channels have got a really good quality stereo broadcast so any kind of prologic is sufficient for such sources. Even if you upgrade to HD soon, the better stereo will sound even better in 5.1.

The gadget and F&D will both produce true 5.1 from true 5.1 sources. However for the prologic function, F&D will also do a great job...just that it will not necessarily be the DOLBY pro logic. But again as the gadget is local make, use of word Dolby is as good as any.

Don't mind if its not pro logic, its doing my job.

The gadget produces pro logic in the same way as F6000 (not 6000U) with only difference being gadget will not send identical signal to rear L and R. it will be independent signals but trust me the difference is not at all identifiable unless you r really a high-end purist in audio.

Final Word, your purpose is solvable with or without the gadget with very minute variances between F6000 and the gadget and a considerably different variant in F6000U- U just have to take a call yourself. Peace.

I will go with F6000U, but before I give my final verdict would you like to suggest me something else which is more affordable??? You are not aware what exactly I want, based on your experience let me know if any there is any other option available!

By the way, what you described was about Dialogues and what about music?? For the background music it will use the same principal or the music will be distributed to all channels evenly?

I will go with F6000U, but before I give my final verdict would you like to suggest me something else which is more affordable??? You are not aware what exactly I want, based on your experience let me know if any there is any other option available!

Great choice. The 6000U is actually much better also in terms of it being the latest one with USB options , and also it will memorize your last volume setting. 6000 was older model which did not have these features.

Music also it will use the same principle. To explain, when u listen to songs on headphone, u ll feel the instruments/orchestra appears spread out between L and R ear and appears in a wide soundstage. But the vocal/singer's voice does not appear to come distinctly from L or R - it somewhat feels to come from in front of our face. It is intentionally encoded that way. Prologic identifies that part of sound and takes it to center. Suppose u r listening to a non-vocal music which is only instrumental, still there will be some instruments encoded that way to make them prominent in front of your face. Those will go to center. The rest is same as described earlier.

For the given budget, no better option - F&D F6000U is the ultimate speaker system in its price range and there is seriously zero competition- this comes from very experienced and researched work. I will further go to tell u that the very next best option above budget is only the INR ~18-20K costing logitech Z906 model with optical/coaxial input but honestly, F&D is more than enough for your purpose.

Great choice. The 6000U is actually much better also in terms of it being the latest one with USB options , and also it will memorize your last volume setting. 6000 was older model which did not have these features.

Music also it will use the same principle. To explain, when u listen to songs on headphone, u ll feel the instruments/orchestra appears spread out between L and R ear and appears in a wide soundstage. But the vocal/singer's voice does not appear to come distinctly from L or R - it somewhat feels to come from in front of our face. It is intentionally encoded that way. Prologic identifies that part of sound and takes it to center. Suppose u r listening to a non-vocal music which is only instrumental, still there will be some instruments encoded that way to make them prominent in front of your face. Those will go to center. The rest is same as described earlier.

For the given budget, no better option - F&D F6000U is the ultimate speaker system in its price range and there is seriously zero competition- this comes from very experienced and researched work. I will further go to tell u that the very next best option above budget is only the INR ~18-20K costing logitech Z906 model with optical/coaxial input but honestly, F&D is more than enough for your purpose.

Sorry for the spelling mistake. I was saying you are now aware what exactly I want, mistakenly written it as you are not aware :p Totally opposite meaning:lol:

I am gonna book it soon, but I liked the design of F&D F700UF more!!!

Buy F&D F700UF Home Audio Speaker Online from Flipkart.com

Do you have any word to say on this speaker!! Looks like F6000U is better option but still asking!

I am gonna book it soon, but I liked the design of F&D F700UF more!!!

Do you have any word to say on this speaker!! Looks like F6000U is better option but still asking!

Dude when it comes to aesthetics everyone has his own :D . My views are very seriously and solely based on performance. Look at the driver sizes they speak for itself- 2.5 inch speaker vs 3 inch, Subwoofer 5 inch vs 8 inch. Enof said.

f-d-f6000u-400x400-imadhzxjccgwtfus.jpeg

The F&D F6000U looks like every bit the beast.

For PC speakers I've always used Creative, but since I graduated to HT systems I've started using old HTIBs from Onkyo for both of my PCs, pretty much blow everything away considering they are in the 20 to 33K range.

But if I had to go with PC speakers, the F&D F6000U makes it a very easy choice.

@htfan17 - Wondering if its only Dolby technologies upmixing or even DTS technologies like Neo. I know the war of DD vs. DTS is never ending, but I personally prefer DTS.

@htfan17 - Wondering if its only Dolby technologies upmixing or even DTS technologies like Neo. I know the war of DD vs. DTS is never ending, but I personally prefer DTS.

No Dolby. F&D does not use the word Dolby at all. Its just prologic. But like i said earlier, even if any company uses, dolby is probably too busy to sue them for copyright- take the gear in OP itself.

Ok,
So around 10K budget for system.So why not 15K for good HTIB?:)

Sony HTIB is costing around 10K. In the same budget I will get the same....

http://www.ebay.in/itm/Sony-DAV-TZ-...warranty-/331403953399?_trksid=p2054897.l4275

Don't know what to do. My LED has USB input which can play movies in any format then what would be the benefit HTIB, I even don't know whether a HTIB will have audio input where I can plug my Airtel Digital TV STB and rely on the HTIB for the up mixing of the stereo feeds :confused::confused:

Last edited:
Dude when it comes to aesthetics everyone has his own :D . My views are very seriously and solely based on performance. Look at the driver sizes they speak for itself- 2.5 inch speaker vs 3 inch, Subwoofer 5 inch vs 8 inch. Enof said.

Considering my room size, 2.5 inch driver is sufficient I guess, Isn't it!!!!(Its 9x10" btw) I want to know whether F700U will upmix the audio feeds same as F6000U or not!!!:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Considering my room size, 2.5 inch driver is sufficient I guess, Isn't it!!!!(Its 9x10" btw) I want to know whether F700U will upmix the audio feeds same as F6000U or not!!!:rolleyes:

Ok bro Thats it. Dont take it offensively but I am officially out of this discussion. I have said very clearly what i wanted to say and could not have been clearer.

Since the initial equipments were something i practically experienced for quite a while, I could and i did write as much as possible on them. I cant help u if more options are confusing you more now.

I have zero experience in HTIBs. So feel free to discuss the same with other experienced members in the same.

Last edited:
Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back