Hi Guys,

I am considering buying a new 40" LED-LCD TV. I have shortlisted a few like:

Sony - 40EX520
LG - 42LV5500
Samsung - 40D5900

My budget is around 50k +/- 5k
3D capability is not a necessity.
My viewing distance will be 8 to 15 ft
Would love to play Movies off USB drives. If some formats aren't supported, I can convert on my PC, if possible.
Subtitles on USB playback is a definitive plus, as this stops the Mrs. from asking "What did he/she say?" every 5 minutes of the damn movie, lol.

I am open to buying from Grey Market. I'll be buying in Delhi NCR, so am open to suggestions on trust worthy shops.

Lastly, how are these deals?
BRAND NEW SONY KDL-40EX520 40 INCH LCD TV - SONY INDIA WARRANTY Rs. 49,899

BRAND NEW SONY BRAVIA KDL 40 EX520 40 LED TV WITH BILL AND DEALERS WARRANTY Rs. 47,675

Any guidance from the experts here would be greatly appreciated :)

Thanks,
StillWaters

Hi Guys,

I am considering buying a new 40" LED-LCD TV. I have shortlisted a few like:

Sony - 40EX520
LG - 42LV5500
Samsung - 40D5900

My budget is around 50k +/- 5k
3D capability is not a necessity.
My viewing distance will be 8 to 15 ft
Would love to play Movies off USB drives. If some formats aren't supported, I can convert on my PC, if possible.
Subtitles on USB playback is a definitive plus, as this stops the Mrs. from asking "What did he/she say?" every 5 minutes of the damn movie, lol.

I am open to buying from Grey Market. I'll be buying in Delhi NCR, so am open to suggestions on trust worthy shops.

Lastly, how are these deals?
BRAND NEW SONY KDL-40EX520 40 INCH LCD TV - SONY INDIA WARRANTY Rs. 49,899

BRAND NEW SONY BRAVIA KDL 40 EX520 40 LED TV WITH BILL AND DEALERS WARRANTY Rs. 47,675

Any guidance from the experts here would be greatly appreciated :)

Thanks,
StillWaters

I dont know about the ebay deals, seem quite good.zPlease check if these warranty is endorsed by Sony India, you can get extra 2years warranty for 3k.if you buy from gray market you wont get any warranty, though you can get higher models for lower price!!

If I buy from Grey Market without warranty, what's the estimated Risk factor? I mean buying from a showroom, I get 1 year warranty, which typically covers service cost only. Not sure if part replacement is free during warranty or charged.

If I don't have warranty and some issue happens with the TV, what's the typical repair cost for a 40" LED-LCD TV?

Thanks,
StillWaters

The warranty period covers everything, you wont have to pay a penny! but if you dont have warranty or if your out of warranty, if your panel goes kaput or if your main board stops working(common problems) the to replace theses will cost half of the tv price!!

read some more threads on tv problems and see how much the customers had to pay for a new part! with today's Lcd/Led tvs, where every thing is on a single board and if a small capacitor blows then the whole bard needs to be changed!!
The Old CRT tvs were much cheaper in part replacement, since the target problem area could be tended and not the whole thing!

Okay I am the owner of a Sony EX420 which is the lower model of a EX520 and I would say that if you watch movies then Sony is not for you because I have to take loads of pain because only 10% of the movies I download play on my TV. Whereas Samsung plays it all , .flv so it is better for you.

Okay I am the owner of a Sony EX420 which is the lower model of a EX520 and I would say that if you watch movies then Sony is not for you because I have to take loads of pain because only 10% of the movies I download play on my TV. Whereas Samsung plays it all , .flv so it is better for you.

one should not buy a TV based on the number of formats it plays but rather on the picture quality, features!! one can buy a good media player for 3.5k that will play any format of your choice!

I thought you hated the Tvs PQ, but then realized that you were frustrated because of the video formats!Sony tvs have good PQ but poor video codec support,solution? BUY A Media player!.I suggest you buy a Asus O'play mini , it will solve your video format problem!

one should not buy a TV based on the number of formats it plays but rather on the picture quality, features!! one can buy a good media player for 3.5k that will play any format of your choice!

I thought you hated the Tvs PQ, but then realized that you were frustrated because of the video formats!Sony tvs have good PQ but poor video codec support,solution? BUY A Media player!.I suggest you buy a Asus O'play mini , it will solve your video format problem!

Well thanks for the suggestion but the PQ is equally as good in Samsung when compared to Sony, it also gives an advantage of having a few more internet apps and being able to play a few more formats.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back