Buying a projector Epson TW 8100. is it a good idea?

You should never consider any projector without mechanical lens shift. Even if the projector is ultimately ceiling mounted and you don't require lens shift any more, lens shift gives great advantages. For those who are not considering a permanent ceiling mount, then don't even think about a projector without this function.

I am considering the 6100.Out of my budget (96k),no lens shift and i don't need the 3D. So i came accross TW3600. It has lens shift and is available for 83k.Reviews are pretty good.

I am just bit skeptical if it is ok to buy a model launched 2 yrs ago. I really need the lens shift,it will take away my placement woes.

So can i go ahead with the 3600 or I should manage without lens shift and get 6100.

Note: I was earlier considering the Epson Tw550 and have reached the budget of 83k with great difficulty.

I am considering the 6100.Out of my budget (96k),no lens shift and i don't need the 3D. So i came accross TW3600. It has lens shift and is available for 83k.Reviews are pretty good.

I am just bit skeptical if it is ok to buy a model launched 2 yrs ago. I really need the lens shift,it will take away my placement woes.

So can i go ahead with the 3600 or I should manage without lens shift and get 6100.

Note: I was earlier considering the Epson Tw550 and have reached the budget of 83k with great difficulty.

You should wait for sometime and go for 8100 . Also look at Optoma HD25 .

Lollllllll keep on increasing ur budget, u will end buying Epson TW 8100------------Rs 1.25lakh :eek:hyeah:

if you don't need 3D , and wish for only Full HD
i got following quote for one month back in Mumbai.
1. Mitsubishi DLP Projector HC-4000-------- rs 70k.(Varay Images)
2. View Sonic Projector Pro 8200----------- rs 72k. "
3. Optoma HD 23 --------------------------rs 75K.---(from pooja electronics).

i liked Mitsubishi most out of lot.....it also has got good review on projector central.

Last edited:
Lollllllll keep on increasing ur budget, u will end buying Epson TW 8100------------Rs 1.25lakh :eek:hyeah:

i liked Mitsubishi most out of lot.....it also has got good review on projector central.

Well said. 8100 is not possible at all not today,not later unless it comes down to 90k. Will have to wait a year i suppose.
Do these prices include tax?
I was quoted similar prices. Taxes extra.

I have almost decided on the TW-3600 . I need the lens shift very much. I would be installing it in my bedroom.
Projector central is still rating it as a very good projector. I would have got the 6100 if it had lens shift.I'll see if i can manage with 6100. Not looking at DLP's due to RBE.
Will consider the HC4000 though, have heard good reviews everywhere.

Last edited:
Well said. 8100 is not possible at all not today,not later unless it comes down to 90k. Will have to wait a year i suppose.
Not looking at DLP's due to RBE.

Not all DLP's have RBE's and LCD's have other issues like screen door effects :).. so it's this or that. I am myself considering a LED projector :)

Do these prices include tax?
I was quoted similar prices. Taxes extra.

I have almost decided on the TW-3600 . I need the lens shift very much. I would be installing it in my bedroom.
Projector central is still rating it as a very good projector. I would have got the 6100 if it had lens shift.I'll see if i can manage with 6100. Not looking at DLP's due to RBE.

Try Benq W1070 . Though short throw but it has all that you need + 3D . Avenue Sound, Mumbai has a special offer running on it of 72k all Incl .

^^ 72k seems very lucrative. I guess i'll have to take a demo.It doesn't have the horizontal lens shift :( At this price I can manage without it if RBE's are sorted out.
BTW any specific movie scenes to demo on the W1070 that will surely bring out the RBE, so that i can be completely aware on what i am in for. But 72k is awesome. :D

Is TW-3600 not good enough? No one is recommending it or is it that no one has first hand experience with it ? Or is it old thats why?

^^ 72k seems very lucrative. I guess i'll have to take a demo.It doesn't have the horizontal lens shift :( At this price I can manage without it if RBE's are sorted out.
BTW any specific movie scenes to demo on the W1070 that will surely bring out the RBE, so that i can be completely aware on what i am in for. But 72k is awesome. :D

Is TW-3600 not good enough? No one is recommending it or is it that no one has first hand experience with it ? Or is it old thats why?

Watch Oz - The great and powerful for RBE . But whatever read and said about 1070 is that you wont notice the effect .

3600 is not doubt an excellent option. But If something else is coming with more futuristic option ( Like 1070 ) than why not ?

Try Benq W1070 . Though short throw but it has all that you need + 3D . Avenue Sound, Mumbai has a special offer running on it of 72k all Incl .

Had a chat with Avenue sound team and this model is now available under special pricing. i.e we will need to pay 50% of the amount to them now and then they will import the product from U.S within 1 month and can ship it to us. 1 year dealer warranty applicable on the product it seems.

I have once again finalised on the Epson TW-3600 (8350) and the TW-6100.
The lowest quote i could get for TW6100 is 93k + Taxes while i have seen people on HFV getting it for 95k all inclusive. So basically i cannot afford it.
The 3600 is 85k all inclusive while 6100 1.03L. Or does any one know of dealer in Delhi who can give it to me for 95k all incl.

I want to buy the 3600 & it suits me perfectly,infact more than 6100 but I have one question.

Since the model is old and might be discontinued anytime soon, are there any disadvantages of buying it ?

EDIT:

Finally ordered the Epson TW-6100. :yahoo:
Will get it tomorrow.Thanks to everyone for helping me out.

Any reviews on the screens from Projection Screen - Wall Mount Screens and Screens Holder Importer and Supplier | Cine Udyog India, Delhi
110" 16:9 Instalock is available for 6k. They also make custom screens but they are available in spring loaded mechanism.Looking for 120"-130"
I have no money left for buying a better screen.

Also have to buy a UPS. Would 850VA be sufficient for 6100 or 1KVA/1100VA ?

Last edited:

Do you have Varay Image contact details ?

Epson TW8100 is a good Projector and if your budget permits you can also go with Panasonic PT AE 8000 but will cost approx : 2.20L. If 3D is not the criteria then choice is wide open. Mitsubishi HC4000 / Viewsonic PRO 8200 / Epson TW3600 / Panasonic AR100. I agree with Phradeus that Mitsubishi HC400 is better. main Difference is that it has minimum digital sound (mean dot like) than others. Panasonic AR100 is not worth as per its price. You can mail this dealer [email protected]

Epson TW8100 is a good Projector and if your budget permits you can also go with Panasonic PT AE 8000 but will cost approx : 2.20L. If 3D is not the criteria then choice is wide open. Mitsubishi HC4000 / Viewsonic PRO 8200 / Epson TW3600 / Panasonic AR100. I agree with Phradeus that Mitsubishi HC400 is better. main Difference is that it has minimum digital sound (mean dot like) than others. Panasonic AR100 is not worth as per its price. You can mail this dealer [email protected]

For 2.2L, Go for Sony HW50ES instead of AE 8000.

I bought it at 1.3L (incl tax) a month ago. Some members have reported it being available for 1.23L but no one has mentioned purchasing it at that price yet.

I am also looking to buy the TW 8100. Do you mind sharing the name/number of the dealer you purchased from?

[ QUOTE=Sugu;558615]I am also looking to buy the TW 8100. Do you mind sharing the name/number of the dealer you purchased from?[/QUOTE]

Where are you based ?

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back