Buying HT for first time - Please help

Hello All,

Looking to buy Home theater setup for first time. Also getting projector and screen installed. I am a big fan of watching movies / videos and also listening to good quality music. Can you guys please help me figure out which setup to buy?

I was suggested to buy Epson TW650 projector and I am convinced this is a good option. Please suggest if you think there is any other option I can look at for the same budget (around 50K)?

About the projector screen, decided that I will buy a motorized one - Heard of two brands Elkor/Liberty. A Hometheater showroom guy quoted 23K for Liberty and I see Elkor costs arnd 13K on amazon.in. Not sure which one to buy yet. Size of the screen that was suggested is 9' X 4'5".

Have a budget of around 80K for the speaker setup and amplifier. Thinking of buying Front speakers initially but since the wiring/cabling has been done already. The speaker wires would hang out from my walls if I opt for only front speakers. So, would preferably buy a 5.1 setup. Also, my expectation on AVR is it should be well equipped. Wifi/BT/Alexa/4K etc are some options I am looking for.

Counting on this forum for taking a good decision.

If you could provide some more info, would help members suggest accordingly..

- Is it a dedicated room (or) living room?..
- Dimensions of your room..
- Would you take DIY route for the screen?..

Hey Thanks for replying.
Its for my living room. The total living room size is 14'X28'. I am planning to use the first half of the living room for TV+Projector+HT setup.

DIY route - preferably no. Would definitely like to know more about it.

Best source for Liberty or Grandview Screens https://av-visionindia.co.in/ and Epson TW650 3lcd projector I think is a Full Hd Projector albeit with a low brightness and contrast ratio.
Hl

Any idea on how to decide what screen size I can get? Are you suggesting not to buy Epson TW650? DLP projectors are getting more costly. Any better option that I can look at in same budget.

screen size depends upon the wall on which it is meant to be fixed at and the distance of the wall from the seating position. At this price to me it seems the best option to buy in India (projector ). The projector is good enough for a dark or lightly lit room but with some compromise on contrast

Last edited:
DLP Projectors are best in dark rooms only. 3Lcd meanwhile with high lumens can be used during day and that too at less power cost and longer lamp life.

screen size depends upon the wall on which it is meant to be fixed at and the distance of the wall from the seating position. At this price to me it seems the best option to buy in India (projector ). The projector is good enough for a dark or lightly lit room but with some compromise on contrast
The wall measures to 10'x9' (WxH). Viewing distance is about 10'. Planning to get a screen around 8.5' X 5'. What do you think?

Its for my living room. The total living room size is 14'X28'. I am planning to use the first half of the living room for TV+Projector+HT setup.

If you can control lightning in your room, then you can use the projector as TV .. Projectors with LED (RGB) as light source are power efficient and you can use it to watch all day long, like i use my Xgimi H1.. If that is inconvenient to you, then Epson is fine..

DIY route - preferably no. Would definitely like to know more about it.

If you have a regular wall, may be you can consider painting the wall (Grey paint) and it will serve as a screen.. one member here got an inexpensive grey screen from aliexpress and using it with Xgimi H1 and the results are good..

You may check this thread for detailed inputs - https://www.hifivision.com/threads/generic-retro-reflective-alr-screen.71309/

If you can control lightning in your room, then you can use the projector as TV .. Projectors with LED (RGB) as light source are power efficient and you can use it to watch all day long, like i use my Xgimi H1.. If that is inconvenient to you, then Epson is fine..

If you have a regular wall, may be you can consider painting the wall (Grey paint) and it will serve as a screen.. one member here got an inexpensive grey screen from aliexpress and using it with Xgimi H1 and the results are good..

You may check this thread for detailed inputs - https://www.hifivision.com/threads/generic-retro-reflective-alr-screen.71309/
Cannot really control lighting. Also, would prefer having TV for most of my regular usage. Projector would be used once a month.

Can you suggest if Epson is good enough for my requirement?

Also, please suggest HT setup. The speaker system is more important for me.

Hello,

HT setup for 80k, I think I'll go for following (since your is big):

Denon x1400 : 40k (5.1.2)
Speakers: Taga 606se 5.0 setup (30k)
JBL control one speaker or polk speakers for the hight/atmos (15k)
and you can add a decent subwoofer later.

If you don't want atmos and want to settle with 5.1 AVR then you can go for Marantz NR1508 or Denon 540BT.

Marantz 1508 (34k)
Polk 5.1 package (35k)
or
Wharfedale dx1 5.1 package (45k)

Try to audition them first, I am pretty sure you will be able to audition Polk speakers

Also, can somebody suggest how the power supply should be done? I am getting the power outlets installed, and the electrician suggests we can put the normal 5A sockets. I see that surge protector is important and also a UPS. Not sure if I can get a UPS + surge protector and keep the power sockets to minimum.

Also, should I go for a power conditioner? I have got power cables supplied for projector motorized screen and projector. Probably will connect this to UPS/Power condition?

Hello,

If you don't want atmos and want to settle with 5.1 AVR then you can go for Marantz NR1508 or Denon 540BT.

Marantz 1508 (34k)
Polk 5.1 package (35k)
or

Try to audition them first, I am pretty sure you will be able to audition Polk speakers
Denon x1400 seems impressive.
Hello,

Marantz 1508 (34k)
Polk 5.1 package (35k)
or

Denon x1400 seems impressive option. Can't have floor standing since it's for my living room. Looking for wall mount options. Please help for the same AVR?

Hello,
You can use polk or wharfadale package with denon x1400. They have small statelite speakers and 8inch subwoofer.
If possible go for 5.0 package and a sub, as the inpackage sub aren't very good.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back