Buying XBox 360 250 GB with Kinect bundle from USA

mathan

My cousin has asked me to buy the XBox 360 250 GB with Kinect bundle from USA. I would be buying it probably during the Black Friday deals if I could get it at a good price. I am not a gamer and clueless in buying this stuff. Please let me know what should I look into while buying from USA. Most probably the voltage might differ and also would like to know the NTSC/PAL details and what to look for. Is there any region free console like the bluray player? Just wanted to make sure that I do not bring something that does not work here in India. Please let me know.

Check for the following:

1) Power adapter: You will get a 120V power brick in the pack which will not work in India and go puff on first use.(Yes, my adapter went into fumes :lol: )
Solution: You can call Microsoft India after you have registered the console and say you want to use the console in India and hence need a 240V adapter. They will send you a 240V power adapter for free. Alternatively, you can buy a after market 240V adapter for the console or a step down transformer. Will be in the range of Rs.2000 in ritchie street, Chennai.

2) Games: You can use the console only with NTSC or region free games. Games that you get in Indian stores are all PAL and will not work with a console bought in USA.
Solution: Buy only NTSC or region free games or you can mod the console to play any format disc. ( I never did a mod, so not sure how that works)
You do get NTSC games in India but are very rare. Your best bet would be used games section and sales in forums.

If you can manage the power adapter and are ok with buying games from abroad, you are good to go.

Last edited:
Yup, mostly the EA games are the one region locked, microsoft first party titles are Region free, and no there is no RF console yet for xbox. PS3 is RF for Games but not for blu ray.

One question why is it that your cousion opting for Xbox why not PS3, i am guessing it is because of Kinect.

Yup, mostly the EA games are the one region locked, microsoft first party titles are Region free, and no there is no RF console yet for xbox. PS3 is RF for Games but not for blu ray.

One question why is it that your cousion opting for Xbox why not PS3, i am guessing it is because of Kinect.

Yep, I think it is because of Kinect. But choosing between the two which is better? He wouldn't mind PS3 and is there a big price difference between the two?

Check for the following:

1) Power adapter: You will get a 120V power brick in the pack which will not work in India and go puff on first use.(Yes, my adapter went into fumes :lol: )
Solution: You can call Microsoft India after you have registered the console and say you want to use the console in India and hence need a 240V adapter. They will send you a 240V power adapter for free. Alternatively, you can buy a after market 240V adapter for the console or a step down transformer. Will be in the range of Rs.2000 in ritchie street, Chennai.

2) Games: You can use the console only with NTSC or region free games. Games that you get in Indian stores are all PAL and will not work with a console bought in USA.
Solution: Buy only NTSC or region free games or you can mod the console to play any format disc. ( I never did a mod, so not sure how that works)
You do get NTSC games in India but are very rare. Your best bet would be used games section and sales in forums.

If you can manage the power adapter and are ok with buying games from abroad, you are good to go.

Does it also require a NTSC TV as mostly I think TV's here are PAL. Thanks for the tip on the 240V power adapter/step down transformer. Sorry it might sound like noob question but what is the purpose of the hard disk here. Is there anything available without hard disk or can we connect a hard disk through USB? Does Xbox comes with dual mode like NTSC/PAL?

You can install games on HDD and also download other stuff from Xbox Live. Tv being NTSC/PAL does not make a difference.

Adding to the points above, a 4gb console would be sufficient if you do not download anything from xbox live. You cannot use external hdd with xbox. Xbox only supports flashdrives upto 32gb.

Also, as of now you cannot transfer any content to your xbox hard disk from extrnal hdd or by any other means except optical drive. So the internal hdd of xbox is pretty much only to store game content and downloads from xbox live.

Thanks for all the inputs. There are also some good deals with PS3 as AtheK mentioned. Does PS3 have motion control like Xbox Kinect? Is PS3 better than Xbox or is it the other way around. Also I think we need to pay for downloading any content from Xbox live. Is that worth since console would be used in India?

You need xbox live gold membership to play games online and download content. It will cost you Rs. 3000 per year. What you get in a free silver membership is very minimal and you cant play online. Gold membership is definetly good value for money.

PS3 has motion gaming as well but is not completely hands free like xbox. You still hold a certain device in hand.

Also the debate between xbox and ps3, which being better will never end. You need to take the call yourself. There is plenty of information comparing the two on web.

Last edited:
The power adapter costs around Rs.4500/-. The guy I called up at the support said that he cannot replace or give another power adapter for free that suits Indian conditions. He wanted me to buy it and I told him I shall think about it. I called up this number provided by microsoft 000-800-440-1179 (toll-free). Is there anything else I should do to get the power adapter replaced or should I buy a step down transformer?

The power adapter costs around Rs.4500/-. The guy I called up at the support said that he cannot replace or give another power adapter for free that suits Indian conditions. He wanted me to buy it and I told him I shall think about it. I called up this number provided by microsoft 000-800-440-1179 (toll-free). Is there anything else I should do to get the power adapter replaced or should I buy a step down transformer?

Update - Microsoft has stopped replacing the 110 V power adapter to 220V and we need to buy a new one that supports 220V for Rs.4179/-:sad:

Sorry, I wasn't aware of this. Apparently, Microsoft has stopped the free exchange offer since October 2012.

Nonetheless, even if you buy the adapter for the said price, your total expenditure is considerably less as compared to a Xbox bought in India.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back