Buzzing noise from TT

tek

Hi everyone

I've been having an annoying problem with my Project Genie TT. Lately, whenever I turn on the phono stage (also a project one) I get a buzzing noise coming from my speakers, along with a high pitched noise that does not increase when I turn up the volume. Whenevr I touch the TT with my hand or try to touch the tone arm, it buzzes louder. I called my electrician to check the grounding in the electrical socket and he says its fine. The amp is fine coz my TV is running through it and no issues there, so it could either be the TT or the phono stage. Has anyone experienced anything like this before?

Thanks

tek, It's called the phono hum. You've mentioned the electric socket ground which is fine. But phonos need a separate ground along with RCA to your amp. Do you have it in place? That will be the first thing to check. Please follow this guide for complete troubleshooting.

TP Audio's Phono Hum Troubleshooting Primer

Thanks Gunmo, but most of that was complete greek to me! I am complete n00b at this, but anyways I will read each line super carefully and hope i understand each step!

Thanks for the headsup

tek,
Gunmho is trying to say that you need to ground your turntable.

Are you using the orginal interconnects that was supplied with your Project Genie turntable? If yes, there should be three parts to it - two rca and one like a spade. One end of the spade is to be connected to the ground terminal of the turntable (see backside of the turntable near the rca outs) and the other to the phono ground terminal provided in your pre-amp or amp.

If your pre-amp does not have such an option, connect it to any of the chasis screws. This will ground it and remove the hum that you are facing. If you are not using the original interconnects, then use any wire to ground the turntable. Google for pictorial instructions if required.

tek,
Gunmho is trying to say that you need to ground your turntable.

Are you using the orginal interconnects that was supplied with your Project Genie turntable? If yes, there should be three parts to it - two rca and one like a spade. One end of the spade is to be connected to the ground terminal of the turntable (see backside of the turntable near the rca outs) and the other to the phono ground terminal provided in your pre-amp or amp.

If your pre-amp does not have such an option, connect it to any of the chasis screws. This will ground it and remove the hum that you are facing. If you are not using the original interconnects, then use any wire to ground the turntable. Google for pictorial instructions if required.
Hi,

If you have grounded your tt then it could be acoustic feed back from your speakers.Try to keep speakers as far as away from your tt.

Regards,

Sachin

I did ground the TT and the Phono stage.. there was no grounding going into the amp.. will try that and let you know the results..

So I sent the TT into the dealer for repairs and it turns out that the bearings inside the tonearm have become rusted, hence the noises! That's what you get for living by the sea with a TT that doesn't have a dust cover :(
I hope they can fix it, if not I will be without a TT.. just that though is making me very depressed!!

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back