CA CXN v2 vs Bluesound Node 2i

screwgauge

Hello folks,

i am taking baby steps into building my first hi-fi stereo setup. My primarily listening would be via Tidal. I have a FiiO M11 Pro which I use with my IEM and stream music with Tidal.

I auditioned CXN v2 and BlueSound Node 2i in different places with different amps and speakers so I don't have a basis to make a comparison. I don't plan to invest in an external DAC right away. So its going to be the streamer-> amp -> speakers.

Given this configuration, which streamer would be a better choice? My primary criteria is SQ, especially if I don't add an external DAC for the next couple of years. I am aware of the feature differences (bluetooth, MQA etc), price difference (nearly 2x) , usability differences of their apps etc.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Hello folks,

i am taking baby steps into building my first hi-fi stereo setup. My primarily listening would be via Tidal. I have a FiiO M11 Pro which I use with my IEM and stream music with Tidal.

I auditioned CXN v2 and BlueSound Node 2i in different places with different amps and speakers so I don't have a basis to make a comparison. I don't plan to invest in an external DAC right away. So its going to be the streamer-> amp -> speakers.

Given this configuration, which streamer would be a better choice? My primary criteria is SQ, especially if I don't add an external DAC for the next couple of years. I am aware of the feature differences (bluetooth, MQA etc), price difference (nearly 2x) , usability differences of their apps etc.

Thanks!
Hi :)

Iam surprised you are asking for a recommendation between the two, after actually listening to them both :D :D

I've heard neither...but going by some ears I really and honestly trust ..I should he forgiven to summarise that the CXN sounds way better as a dac cum streamer than the Blue sound :)

Hello folks,

Thanks!
Hi,
Both these streamers have built in DACs I think. Bluesound Node 2i has a digital out if you want to use a standalone DAC. CXN may have this too. I have heard both and I think you can be happy with either one. My personal preference is Bluesound.

Hi :)

Iam surprised you are asking for a recommendation between the two, after actually listening to them both :D :D

I've heard neither...but going by some ears I really and honestly trust ..I should he forgiven to summarise that the CXN sounds way better as a dac cum streamer than the Blue sound :)
Thanks! Like I said, the two chains were totally different including the Amp and the Speakers, and since I am a beginner, it is hard for me to isolate the artefacts to the DAC.

I have not tried the cxn v2 , but the node2i DAC was ok when I tried. Preferred the smsl su-8 over their inbuilt DAC.

If you are looking for SQ, go with CXN
If you are looking for ease of use, go with Node. BlueOS is quite intuitive.

CXN (in my opinion) has a little darker sound (not to be confused with warm). CXN's DAC is definitely better than Node. CXN is amongst a handful of players to have Chromecast built-in. CXN is also 40% more expensive.

If you are looking for SQ, go with CXN
If you are looking for ease of use, go with Node. BlueOS is quite intuitive.

CXN (in my opinion) has a little darker sound (not to be confused with warm). CXN's DAC is definitely better than Node. CXN is amongst a handful of players to have Chromecast built-in. CXN is also 40% more expensive.
If CXN has Google Chromcast Audio ( GCA) built in, I wonder ( out of curiosity) how it's SQ would compare with a set up using GCA plus highEnd external DAC t o a Preamp ?
Reason I am asking is presently I have a set up like GCA to highEnd DAC to separate Pre and Amp. And I am considering to upgrade ( and hope for better SQ) by replacing GCA with either CA CXN or Bluesound Node2i. In eithe case I will continue to use my current Bryston external DAC. Please share your views.

Last edited:
If CXN has Google Chromcast Audio ( GCA) built in, I wonder ( out of curiosity) how it's SQ would compare with a set up using GCA plus highEnd external DAC t o a Preamp ?
Reason I am asking is presently I have a set up like GCA to highEnd DAC to separate Pre and Amp. And I am considering to upgrade ( and hope for better SQ) by replacing GCA with either CA CXN or Bluesound Node2i. In eithe case I will continue to use my current Bryston external DAC. Please share your views.
I have used the CCA (stream and DAC functions) and also used its optical out to a external DAC (Mytek Liberty) The difference was immediately apparent.
I have also used the Bluesound node 2 and found it really good as a streamer and loved it’s user interface. But it’s internal DAC was easily bested by a midfi level external DAC (Mytek Liberty or PS Audio digital link)
I guess it all depends on what we compare with.
I haven’t heard any Bryson DACs, but I am guessing it’s pretty good and definitely do better than CCA’s and Bluesound node’s DACs. Not sure about the CA CXN though.

I guess you got confused between "Chromcast audio" and "Chromcast", the former is an audio gear which is currently stopped production. But the term "chromcast" refers the technology which nowadays available in variety of equipments like TV, Streamer, Sound bar etc. I guess @AKT was mentioning the technology which is present in CXN.

I guess you got confused between "Chromcast audio" and "Chromcast", the former is an audio gear which is currently stopped production. But the term "chromcast" refers the technology which nowadays available in variety of equipments like TV, Streamer, Sound bar etc. I guess @AKT was mentioning the technology which is present in CXN.
Yes. Thank you Premod.

Hello folks,

Thanks!
I have used bluos and can say by my experience bluos is best streaming OS i have used. But if you use Indian streaming apps cxn Chromecast feature can be very useful. Other than that node 2i next gen model is already out.

I currently have both the bluesound node2i and the Cambridge CXNv2 and IMO, the DAC in the CXNv2 is better. There are pros and cons on both sides.

The BluOS is a better app(IMO) than the StreamMagic.

CXNv2 plays Native DSD, which the Bluesound Node2i does not(you’ll have to convert it to PCM if you want to play it).

Bluesound Node2i plays MQA, the CXNv2(no MQA decoder built in) does not(unless you use the tidal desktop app via pc/Mac and use the usb input)

The Bluesound Node2i is half the price

For the price, I think the Bluesound Node2i is very hard to beat but with the no DSD playback was a deal breaker. So I got a CXNv2 and paired with the CXA81, I’m very satisfied.

I have a CXN v2(as source with Flac, streaming Spotify) paired with CA351a and Elac 2.0 B5.2. Now changing the amp to Acoustic Portrait Swara v2 integrated amp. I find it an excellent combination.

You can also look at stuff from SMSL, Topping and NuPrime stream 9. Stream 9 has inbuilt decoding for Tidals' MQA... Best in class SQ and native APP... The Matirx streamer as well as the audiolab streamer are superb too.

Last edited:
Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back