Cable distance setttings

pradski

I have two questions if anybody could help please.

First Can I use different length for the front speakers. Like my front right is 3 meters and can I use 7 meters for the front left. Is it advisable.

Other one is all these days I was setting the distance for speakers equivalent to cable length. Like if the surround right is 6meters the avr entry was 6 meters and surround left is 9 meters then the enty in avr was 9 meters.

After I got the denon and while reading the manual, saw that it says the distance to be entered is the distance of speakers from the sitting position. Is that the way to do it. Please advice.

As pureist say, keep same lenght of cable for the pairs. Front l&R and centre: Same length.
Rear Surrounds : Same length.:D

The distance to be entered in the AVR settings is from your listening postion.

Take a thread and measure from your head to the speaker in the best listening position.:cool:

Enjoy the SETUP....Keep a note of what is being set..

The length of the cables for a pair of speakers need not necessarily be the same. This depends a lot upon where you place the system and where you place the speakers. For example, if you place the system on your left side wall, the length of the cable to the Right Front speaker will be necessarily longer, as it has to go across the left Front Speaker.

Similarly the cable lengths for the Surround pair and Back pair, need not be the same.

As long as the lengths don't vary too much, it would not make too much difference. Just remember, every feet of cable adds additional resistance to the movement of data, though for small differences in length it will be very minor.

As far as settings in the AVR goes, as Guru has mentioned, it has to be the distance of the speaker from you ear. This is irrespective of the length of the cable used.

Cheers

Pradski,

Unless you are running very long cables (> 25 ft) no worries about the cable length. All your measurements are from the speakers to your listening position.

The front L/R should form an approximate equilateral triangle with your sitting position and slightly angled towards you as though theya re facing you.

Cable length really does not make much of a difference. Previously (in a stereo setup) I had one speaker going into the hall while one remained in my bedroom and I adjusted speaker ratio to make the hall speaker louder so the sound was uniform all over.

Coming to the distance to be entered in the AVR, yup needs to be from your listening/sitting position.

Thanks gurudristi, venkat, marsilans and moserw.

Since my left front speaker cable runs across the entrance, so I thought I will run over the entrance and drop it.

Rest of the things are clear. thanks to you all.

Plugging the bananas are so difficult in some of the terminals do you all face this problem.

Since my left front speaker cable runs across the entrance, so I thought I will run over the entrance and drop it.

Rest of the things are clear. thanks to you all.

Plugging the bananas are so difficult in some of the terminals do you all face this problem.

YOu should be able to drop the cable but make sure its not close to any heating elements like a bare bulb or such things.

Re: banaga plugs, make sure your binding posts are snug (not tight) on the speakers. Then push it in with a slight force. You should never try to force to too much. If this does nto work, then no problems in using spades or even teh bare wire. MAKE SURE TO NOT TOUCH THE 2 WIRES AT ANY COST. Usually I put a small piece of styrofoam between the two to give me the peace of mind.

Theoretically, the length of a cable does make a difference but practically it doesnt matter...
Check it out yourself by having cables of different lengths for different speakers and i'm sure you won't notice any difference...
and about the distance... it is from your head to center of the speaker (in case of a full range speaker) / the center of a speaker system (in case of different tweeters and woofers)

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back