Cables - need help to choose

Thad, The Forest USB and Digital cables are not expensive at $35 and $29 respectively....
The digital cable is not so expensive, BJ would have cost 15-20-ish, but for me, it is not so much the money as trusting the company.

$149 at musicdirect.com so even though expensive, it is still cheaper than the exhorbitantly priced ICs from other companies..
Mine were about $30-ish (bought in UK). I slightly exagerated that my five cables cost less than your one: about 140 is rather more than $149, but hey, a little hyperbole never hurt anyone, as the cable sellers know all too well :rolleyes:. Yes, on the scale of expensive, $149 is not very.

The funny thing is that the BJ cables I bought are cheaper than the current equivalent to the old Cambridge Audio cables they replaced! And I believe them to be top-notch in every technical way, as per Square_wave's comments.

Yes, belief comes into it. On another thread, someone pointed out that even BJ are doing marketing. So we all choose the marketing flavour that suits us. I choose the one that doesn't smell of farmyard.

NB: Blue Jeans may not be the only straight-talking, reasonable-price cable sellers out there who do not indulge in hyperbole, half-truth, pseudo-science, weird claims, and downright lies to sell their products. They just happen to the one that I know. I was following links to their articles from both here and Audioholics before I actually bought from them --- and that's why I keep talking about them. Others can mention other companies that I do not know about, or have only vaguely heard of.

Of course, some might ask if I heard a difference. Yes, i think I did. I'd say more transparency. Transparency is something we often say we want, but when we get it, it just might turn out to be a little brutal: like listening to a CD (assuming it is a good master) after having been used to an elderly LP... but, when the ears settle in, the lack of noise and extra detail can be appreciated.

square_wave, I don't think that network cables can ever make a difference to audio transmitted as data over an ethernet network. I'll make that a 99.999% sure, reserving 0.001% for the possibility that any cable can pick up some kind of noise and feed it into the box to which it is attached. It is Audioquest's network-cable offerings that made me decide that I will never buy anything from the company. No, not even a Dragonfly DAC, although I have no problems with that product at all.

[insert my favourite cable company here ;) ] has an article on cat5/etc cables. It seems that most of the ones we use, for data cabling or whatever, are actually nowhere near spec. Curious thing is that they still work. Of course, if you want one that is to spec, BJ will sell you one, made by Belden, and individually tested and certified! I'd buy that if I was still an IT manager! :lol:

Panditji, enjoy the music... that's what counts :) Don't take too much notice of these side arguments about bits of wire!

why not others too have like that one favourite brand

I think they get their say too! But most of them will have multiple companies, and compare one to another. I've decided to stick to one. A monogamous* cable buyer! :lol:

(well, not really, but I will stick to the same buying principles)

*In which case I suppose I should buy from monoprice ;)

~

I think they get their say too! But most of them will have multiple companies, and compare one to another. I've decided to stick to one. A monogamous* cable buyer! :lol:

(well, not really, but I will stick to the same buying principles)

*In which case I suppose I should buy from monoprice ;)

~

You are brutally honest in this regard ... :) Being that is not appreciated in this kali yuga ;)

Good stuff Thad and I agree with you in general....I for one am a little superficial too and a big factor in me choosing the Audioquest Cobra ICs were their good looks...I like red and thats why I bought Audioquest...also I got free shipping so not too much damage...
I think I am done with equipment and the only thing left is a nice netbook/laptop for the source.....

Any suggestions for a cheap laptop/netbook with good enough specs on which I can load a Windows 7 myself?

square_wave, I don't think that network cables can ever make a difference to audio transmitted as data over an ethernet network. I'll make that a 99.999% sure, reserving 0.001% for the possibility that any cable can pick up some kind of noise and feed it into the box to which it is attached. It is Audioquest's network-cable offerings that made me decide that I will never buy anything from the company. No, not even a Dragonfly DAC, although I have no problems with that product at all.

Thad , Agree with the NW cable part . But don't get the AQ Dragonfly DAC . What is wrong with that . That is one of the keeper for me . Hard to beat that at its price and convenience level . My whole source is shrunken into Nexus7 + DragonFly and very happy with it .

You are brutally honest in this regard ... :) Being that is not appreciated in this kali yuga ;)

Yeah... It's a bit of a thing with me; I admit that. We all have to have our things! But there are plenty of voices putting the opposite view.

The forum should have a warning: "Don't say Audioquest, it'll get Thad started and he'll never stop!" :clapping:

Good stuff Thad and I agree with you in general....I for one am a little superficial too and a big factor in me choosing the Audioquest Cobra ICs were their good looks...I like red and thats why I bought Audioquest...also I got free shipping so not too much damage...
I think I am done with equipment and the only thing left is a nice netbook/laptop for the source.....

Any suggestions for a cheap laptop/netbook with good enough specs on which I can load a Windows 7 myself?

I can actually really go for the looks angle. I'm always on about USB cables, but I hate the look of the plain ones! I prefer purple, but of late, I've gone in for the industrial look :)

Our laptop is ten years old, Win XP, and slowly expiring. I also need to buy. Won't buy Windows "Hate," so also need to find a W7 laptop so it is not too different for Mrs G to get used to. Otherwise she'll have to use Linux too! Actually, it is a better idea to buy a desktop machine, unless portability is actually required. Or... if it is back to looks: a laptop in the room looks nicer. But what to buy: I don't know either.

Last edited:
Good stuff Thad and I agree with you in general....I for one am a little superficial too and a big factor in me choosing the Audioquest Cobra ICs were their good looks..

Go ahead with the AQ Cobra IC , atleast you will have the piece of mind that you not messing up with the important signal path .

I exactly wanted to build a system like yours - Meridian or Halide HD DAC , Naim and Compact 7 ( colorful mids everywhere ) , but ended up differently . May be i will get it later .

Please write up a review once you got the cabling sortedout .

There are many people who have been trying this out and hearing slight differences. I am 100 percent sure it is not the data that is making this change ( if it is there). This has been discussed a lot on high end network player forums like Naim and Linn a lot. It looks like there is a possibility that cheap unshealded cables are picking up stuff and these gremlins goes into the box and is messing with stuff that happens beyond the Ethernet port. Not sure...though.

I have not tried high end Ethernet cables with my player. Will try it at some point and post back.

It looks like there is a possibility that cheap unshealded cables are picking up stuff and these gremlins goes into the box and is messing with stuff that happens beyond the Ethernet port.

That's my .001% doubt. Except CAT6 is shielded, isn't it? (I retired before it came into common use)*.

I, too, am 100% sure it cannot be the data, even if it is not a very good cable! Or no cable at all, as in wifi.

Last time this came up for discussion, I learnt something I never knew before: ethernet connections are, apparently, electrically isolated. Would that stop our noise gremlins? I don't know.

I'd be happy to listen to a music lover who is also a network technology scientist on this, but audiophiles in general, trying to re-write the rules because they just discovered computers, is something I don't have much patience with, so I'll probably avoid those forums. You can call it having a closed mind, but I'm sure you'll understand what I mean. :eek:

*By the way... shields are to prevent interference along the run of the cable. If the noise originates in the equipment at one end, could the shield itself carry that noise? Oh heck... way-off-topic wondering :eek:

Last edited:
Go ahead with the AQ Cobra IC , atleast you will have the piece of mind that you not messing up with the important signal path .

I exactly wanted to build a system like yours - Meridian or Halide HD DAC , Naim and Compact 7 ( colorful mids everywhere ) , but ended up differently . May be i will get it later .

Please write up a review once you got the cabling sortedout .

I just bought the Meridian after shortlisting the Halide DAC, Schiit Gungnir and M2tech Young without having listened to either of them since I was just fed up and could'nt choose....

The Naim XS is a good match with the Harbeths but I have recently bought a Luxman integrated and will dispose one after a thorough comparison...The Naim has enough power to drive the Harbeths and is smooth and fast ..anyhow, my system is still not setup properly and once I get the cables, will post a review with both amplifiers...

I just bought the Meridian after shortlisting the Halide DAC, Schiit Gungnir and M2tech Young without having listened to either of them since I was just fed up and could'nt choose....

The Naim XS is a good match with the Harbeths but I have recently bought a Luxman integrated and will dispose one after a thorough comparison...The Naim has enough power to drive the Harbeths and is smooth and fast ..anyhow, my system is still not setup properly and once I get the cables, will post a review with both amplifiers...

You should try and get hold of a MK3 or MK4 LFD amp for those harbeths :)

Now that the MK5 is out, there will be some on sale in UK, Singapore etc..

It is a different ball game compared to the entry level naims.

I am interested to listen and try a Luxman. Look forward to your review...

I have bought the entry level integrated and will definitely share my opinion although it will be a short one since I do not speak the audiophilia language....

Will try and arrange a few other amplifiers to make a decent comparison...you are welcome home whenever you are in this side of the country...
Would love to hear the Marten Django speakers whenever I am in Bangalore...

You should try and get hold of a MK3 or MK4 LFD amp for those harbeths :)

Now that the MK5 is out, there will be some on sale in UK, Singapore etc..

It is a different ball game compared to the entry level naims.

Have read wonderful things about the LFD amplifiers and always wanted to hear one for myself but have'nt got a chance as yet..Hopefully this year will get to listen...Did you get a chance to hook up your LFD with the Harbeths? If yes, how different were they in comparison to your LFD-Blumenhofer pairing?

...you are welcome home whenever you are in this side of the country...
Would love to hear the Marten Django speakers whenever I am in Bangalore...

Thank you for your invite. I am always glad to listen to new or perhaps more accurately other systems, always.

The Marten Django XL's are packed in their boxes and in my loft as I am listening to the Harbeth speakers in my system at the moment. The Harbeth's certainly are not as wow as the Marten Design but they allow me to listen to some "old" recordings. They are certainly more forgiving than the Marten Django XL speakers. But they certainly are not as neutral, nor do they present as wide a dynamic range (it seems) nor do the amazing sound-staging thing as well. So life is full of compromises..... am not sure how long I'll hold on to the Marten Design if I get into my photography and painting.....

You do seem to have some very nice things at the ends of your cables :)

Thanks Thad but it is my collection of some very good music of different rare covers of some very nice tunes that I am very proud of...the audio components are secondary which have been bought to take care of some very beautiful recordings....

A very apt reminder of The Purpose of Life. :)

I'm going out now to a concert. Although having a great ambience, the acoustics of the place are poor, but I'd still rather do this than sit at home and listen to a recording!

It's all about music.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back