Cambridge 651A 651C

FLima

Hello!

Does anyone has this set or has demo it? How does it sound? With which speakers would it be a good pairing?

In amplifier speaking, is it worth to extend the budget to reach a Arcam A19 or a Audiolab 8200A?

And about the cd transport... It is expected to be noticed significant improvements from 351c to 651c?

In advance... thank you all for your contributions! :cheers:

Hi, 651c is a bit sharp sounding but not necessarily highly detailed. If you pair it with 651a, make sure you get a little "warm" speakers, otherwise the combo can get a little edgy. On the bass front it shouldn't be a problem but deep fuller bass is hopefully not on your expectation list. The "Linear" filter in 651c has the most coherent sound. It wouldn't be preferable to use the 651c as a digital attenuator, things could get a little lossy. In my opinion its worth every penny to stretch to Arcam A19. Remember all is this my personal take, do audition to take a call.

Last edited:
Hi, 651c is a bit sharp sounding but not necessarily highly detailed. If you pair it with 651a, make sure you get a little "warm" speakers, otherwise the combo can get a little edgy. On the bass front it shouldn't be a problem but deep fuller bass is hopefully not on your expectation list. The "Linear" filter in 651c has the most coherent sound. It wouldn't be preferable to use the 651c as a digital attenuator, things could get a little lossy. In my opinion its worth every penny to stretch to Arcam A19. Remember all is this my personal take, do audition to take a call.

IMHO one must not compare Arcam A19, 70K with a budget amp. like 651a. Its completely in a different league .Marantz 6005 or Yamaha AS 500 etc are the options in under 40K Budget

IMHO one must not compare Arcam A19, 70K with a budget amp. like 651a. Its completely in a different league .Marantz 6005 or Yamaha AS 500 etc are the options in under 40K Budget

Ya very true. Since OP has expressed intention of stretching budget, hence I suggested.

Ya very true. Since OP has expressed intention of stretching budget, hence I suggested.

Yes that was the idea...
Thank you for sharing your experience and knowledge.

Stretching the budget is a strong possibility, if earnings are substancial.
For instance, I consider increasing the amp budget as long as the cd transport could make it lighter!

Arcam A19 over AudioLab 8200A?

Yes that was the idea...
Thank you for sharing your experience and knowledge.

Stretching the budget is a strong possibility, if earnings are substancial.
For instance, I consider increasing the amp budget as long as the cd transport could make it lighter!

Arcam A19 over AudioLab 8200A?

I have not heard the 8200A very critically, cant help you on that. Only difference I remember that bass is more fuller and punchy on A19. Feel free to ask anything on the A19 as I currently own it.

I have not heard the 8200A very critically, cant help you on that. Only difference I remember that bass is more fuller and punchy on A19. Feel free to ask anything on the A19 as I currently own it.

Thank you a lot...
Arcam was the first non budget amp I search. But then I gave up on it because the pairing model for cd transport is way expensive... CDS27!!

Can you describe me your hifi set: speakers, cd transport, streamer??, turntable... Once again thank you for your help!

Thank you a lot...
Arcam was the first non budget amp I search. But then I gave up on it because the pairing model for cd transport is way expensive... CDS27!!

Can you describe me your hifi set: speakers, cd transport, streamer??, turntable... Once again thank you for your help!

My setup is :

Sony Bluray Player(Transport)->QED Reference Digital Coax -> TEAC UD501 Ref DAC -> Chord Chameleon Vee 3 IC -> Arcam A19 -> Chord Odessey -> KEF Q700

I have heard Arcam A19 paired with Jamo,Wharfadales,Dali & Paradigm(BS& FS) recently.
I liked arcam pairing with paradigm.The amp sounded detailed with Paradigm Atom monitor upto 75% volume.
Arcam pairing with Jamo & wharfadales was just no-no for me.

I have heard Arcam A19 paired with Jamo,Wharfadales,Dali & Paradigm(BS& FS) recently.
I liked arcam pairing with paradigm.The amp sounded detailed with Paradigm Atom monitor upto 75% volume.
Arcam pairing with Jamo & wharfadales was just no-no for me.

Thank you for your opinion.
Do own an Arcam A19? Which cd transport do your have with it?

Thank you for your opinion.
Do own an Arcam A19? Which cd transport do your have with it?

Not yet..I am in auditioning stage..the other amp that i listened was NAD with PSB speakers.
I use Fiio X1 playing lossless flacs as source.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back