Cambridge Audio Azur 340R aimed at 5.1 audience

Hi Bhaskie,
How do you connect these at the same time? Does the card has multiple line ins?
How do you use it as a dac for sources other than comp?

regards

Even I connect the Tata Sky and Creative Zen to the amp. But all these go through the high quality line-in of my Asus Xonar Essence STX and into the amp.

Well Bhaskie, I really appreciate ur advice n would definitely reconsider before I could buy them. I plan to buy an AVR by Jul - Aug, so that gives me some more time, to do my homework before investing.

Wat speakers would you suggest to pair up with the marantz...
Thanks,
Reg, Kannan

Finally your ears are the best judge! Initially my setup was coming to around to 100k. After auditions I managed to bring it down to 55k!

About speakers with marantz, that depends on the type of music you listen to and whether you like bright/warm sound etc. I have auditioned Marantz amps with Dali, Quad, Jamo, Wharfedale speakers only. Liked only the Dali (lektor, ikon series) and Quad (11L2, 12L2) speakers. You need to listen to them with a couple of audio CDs with your favourite songs to decide for yourself.

Among amps I liked Cyrus 6vs2, cyrus 8vs2, marantz PM7003 and Marantz PM15S1. Didn't like NAD and CA.

Hi Bhaskie,
How do you connect these at the same time? Does the card has multiple line ins?
How do you use it as a dac for sources other than comp?

regards

I don't. I just have the STB RCA into the STX's line-in. I rarely use the Creative Zen since the source is too low quality compared to the Essence STX's RCA out. The card has a single line-in.

For digital input, you need something like the Xonar HDAV1.3 Deluxe or the X-meridian. These cards have SPDIF inputs as well. I don't need any since all my media pass through the HTPC. Even blu-ray files are stored in the HDD. Am planning to get an Oppo BD83 bluray player once it is out, it's got high-quality stereo outs!

what about the hk stereo receivers :)

Finally your ears are the best judge! Initially my setup was coming to around to 100k. After auditions I managed to bring it down to 55k!

About speakers with marantz, that depends on the type of music you listen to and whether you like bright/warm sound etc. I have auditioned Marantz amps with Dali, Quad, Jamo, Wharfedale speakers only. Liked only the Dali (lektor, ikon series) and Quad (11L2, 12L2) speakers. You need to listen to them with a couple of audio CDs with your favourite songs to decide for yourself.

Among amps I liked Cyrus 6vs2, cyrus 8vs2, marantz PM7003 and Marantz PM15S1. Didn't like NAD and CA.

what about the hk stereo receivers :)

I didn't like the way HK stereo receiver (3480) sounded with my Dali speakers. The Marantz had a warmth with music that I really enjoyed. And it went very well with the Dali Lektor 2 speakers which I already owned. Moreover HK receivers are very highly priced in India (2x of US price) and there are too many quality issues with these HK products nowadays. I would have paid maximum 18k for the HK3490, not the 30k asking price in Delhi.

Hi Bhaskie, after a long search ive come to a conclusion on the below, let me know if the selection and price is good.

Marantz SR 5002 - 30K INR
Wharfedale Diamond 9.2 - 15.5K INR
Whardedale SW-150 - 19.5K INR

I had a chance to listen to the above setup, I was impressed the most with the bass. Shall I go for it....

Thanks

Hi Bhaskie, after a long search ive come to a conclusion on the below, let me know if the selection and price is good.

I had a chance to listen to the above setup, I was impressed the most with the bass. Shall I go for it....

Thanks

9.2 price is OK. Sub, is costlier by atleast 1.5K.

Thanks

Since you are getting an AVR, I hope you are very soon going to get center and rears. BTW the 5002 lacks Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio lossless surround modes. (needs them to be converted to PCM). Also it doesnt up-convert analog video to 1080p HDMI. But I guess you have already read the reviews and are fine with it.

I think you should give some more details on the audition. Impressed with the bass playing what? Music? Movies? For how long? Do you watch non-action movies? DId you play any on the combo?

The SW150 is a decent sub and you liked it. But will you be using the sub for music. I guess not. So did you like your favourite tracks with the combo sans the sub?

The two main factors that should decide are as follows:
1. AVR + Speakers - WIth music -> warm and dynamic, non fatiguing
2. AVR + Speakers + sub - With movies -> clear sound, good non-localised bass, good dynamics, not too warm

Personally, I think the Marantz + Wharfedale combo is a bit too warm for HT experience. But if you like what you hear, go for it!

Folks,

I suggest you start a separate thread for this discussion. Since the contents currently have nothing to do with the Cambridge 340R, it's a bit confusing to others who open this thread.

Thanks,
Ajinkya.

The two main factors that should decide are as follows:
1. AVR + Speakers - WIth music -> warm and dynamic, non fatiguing
2. AVR + Speakers + sub - With movies -> clear sound, good non-localised bass, good dynamics, not too warm

Personally, I think the Marantz + Wharfedale combo is a bit too warm for HT experience. But if you like what you hear, go for it!

Thks for the info. I never tried out movies during my demo, I listened to my favorite tracks for about half hour, carried my ipod along too, that really came in handy to differentiate...

I tried these combos

1) SR 5002 + 9.1 + SWF 150
2) SR 5002 + 9.2 + SWF 150

played the same tracks both on CD n my ipod.. liked both, (err was lil confused, actually). Abt the upscaling and decoding features the SR 5003, has it all... but I've got to up my budget by another 10K... I think I'll spend more time analysing before I rush in...

Thks for the info. I never tried out movies during my demo, I listened to my favorite tracks for about half hour, carried my ipod along too, that really came in handy to differentiate...

I tried these combos

1) SR 5002 + 9.1 + SWF 150
2) SR 5002 + 9.2 + SWF 150

played the same tracks both on CD n my ipod.. liked both, (err was lil confused, actually). Abt the upscaling and decoding features the SR 5003, has it all... but I've got to up my budget by another 10K... I think I'll spend more time analysing before I rush in...

Since you are getting an AVR, it's important to audition the setup with movies. Action, Drama (your fav genre). Check the vocals, do you like them warm or neutral? you will get a lot of tips for auditioning in the forum.

Wit music, I am sure the combo will perform well. Seems like you prefer the warm combo of Marantz and WF. I personally dont use a sub for music, never needed it.

ABout the upscaling/decoding, I don't think that is a major requirement unless you have a lot of BD movies. I will give that a pass. No point spending 10K if you dont need the features.

I have a Marantz PM7003 and Dali Lektor 2 bookshelves, and I enjoy the combo nearly as much as my Sennheiser HD600 cans. And I never feel the requirement for 5.1 since I always use the stereo tracks for movies. If you audition 5.1 and feel that there is not a lot lacking compared to 2.1, just get a Marantz amp instead of the AVR. You can get the Marantz PM6002 or 5003 for a lot cheaper.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back