cambridge audio cxa35 vs marantz pm6006

Gecko

Looking to do a new stereo setup and narrowed down with cxa35 and pm6006 integrated amps. Not sure which one to choose.
What I'm expecting from sound perspective would be good instrument separation and texture and sound signature should be close to neutral.
Might pair the amp with a Dali Zensor 3 or wharfedale diamond 225/11.2.
Can anyone say how these speaker/amp combo sounds.

Looking forward to your guidance to make a good choice

Looking to do a new stereo setup and narrowed down with cxa35 and pm6006 integrated amps. Not sure which one to choose.
What I'm expecting from sound perspective would be good instrument separation and texture and sound signature should be close to neutral.

Usually, this type of a question on this forum will invite subjective recommendations. Nothing like auditioning both these amps - take your time with these two choices as you seem to have narrowed down, cutting out the noise. The reason I'm saying this is because of my personal experience here and with other forums.

A few years ago, when I wanted to switch from my home theater to pure stereo, I was in a similar dilemma. In fact, I had the same question - Marantz PM5005 or CA AM10. After getting some 'private message' advice and looking at the reviews across this and many other forums, I took the plunge and bought the Marantz PM5005 (from HiFiMart). I was happy with the purchase - but always felt that there was something missing with the sound; something that I couldn't put a finger on. I also changed quite a number of speakers to get the sound signature I desired. I went to Volumate (in Chennai) to audition the PM6006, thinking that I made a mistake going with the PM5005 instead of the hyper-reviewed 6006. I auditioned for nearly an hour and a half to the same songs and source that I usually listen to and was happy with the decision to go with PM5005 - can't find a day and night difference in sound/sound signature between the 5005 and 6006.

After nearly 2 years of living with the Marantz, I sold the amp and the speakers (Monitor Audio Bronze BR2) and decided to wait before taking the plunge again. This time, I went back to one of the lesser-known dealers in Chennai and auditioned the Cambridge Audio SR10. The audition included pairing them with several bookshelves and towers, including the Elac Debut B5 and the Tannoy towers (can't recollect the model name). IMPRESSIVE sound. Just the right dose of mids, bass and treble that I have been missing from the Marantz. In other words - the SR10 brought a lot of character and the punch, with 'zero' adjustments to the bass and treble controls. And boy, to me this had a warm sound, compared to the Marantz. Bought the SR10 right there with a good discount, took it home and paired with JBL Control 1 - absolutely no bass, but the mid-range/vocal and instrument separation was top notch.

Luckily, I was able to buy a pair of GoldenEar AON3 bookshelf speakers from Mumbai. Now, I listen to songs for hours together without fatigue. One word - I'm super happy with the CA amp than I ever was with the Marantz. Maybe, just my ears. So, I'd suggest you audition. Nothing like it. That will keep you happy for years, unlike me having to learn it the hard way by buying a Marantz that my ears didn't like much.

The setup that's keeping my happy now: CA SR10 + GoldenEar AON3 + Schiit Modi 3 + Apple Music

All the best with whatever you decide to go with!

What did you go for at last?

Hi Gecko,

Since you are from Bangalore, it’s worth auditioning IndiqAudio.
Their floor standers are excellent for stereo set up and especially if paired with their Gold IA or Platinum Mono it’s class apart.
Give it a try and see if it suits your taste.

Sure, will check them
Give it a try and feel it for yourself and decide.

Don’t hurry up. You are the best judge to find out what suits your ears and eyes and most importantly how you feel when you listen to the Amp + Speaker combo.

I waited for a long time and finally almost completed the set up 3 days back after I think, I may have auditioned every possible thing in Bangalore within my budget.

Now only thing that’s pending is a streaming device or a Pre from Parasound.

So all the best for your hunt.

Attachments

• 46D7D385-D44D-4F07-A9E8-98625816615A.jpeg
    46D7D385-D44D-4F07-A9E8-98625816615A.jpeg
    399.2 KB · Views: 45
Usually, this type of a question on this forum will invite subjective recommendations. Nothing like auditioning both these amps - take your time with these two choices as you seem to have narrowed down, cutting out the noise. The reason I'm saying this is because of my personal experience here and with other forums.

A few years ago, when I wanted to switch from my home theater to pure stereo, I was in a similar dilemma. In fact, I had the same question - Marantz PM5005 or CA AM10. After getting some 'private message' advice and looking at the reviews across this and many other forums, I took the plunge and bought the Marantz PM5005 (from HiFiMart). I was happy with the purchase - but always felt that there was something missing with the sound; something that I couldn't put a finger on. I also changed quite a number of speakers to get the sound signature I desired. I went to Volumate (in Chennai) to audition the PM6006, thinking that I made a mistake going with the PM5005 instead of the hyper-reviewed 6006. I auditioned for nearly an hour and a half to the same songs and source that I usually listen to and was happy with the decision to go with PM5005 - can't find a day and night difference in sound/sound signature between the 5005 and 6006.

After nearly 2 years of living with the Marantz, I sold the amp and the speakers (Monitor Audio Bronze BR2) and decided to wait before taking the plunge again. This time, I went back to one of the lesser-known dealers in Chennai and auditioned the Cambridge Audio SR10. The audition included pairing them with several bookshelves and towers, including the Elac Debut B5 and the Tannoy towers (can't recollect the model name). IMPRESSIVE sound. Just the right dose of mids, bass and treble that I have been missing from the Marantz. In other words - the SR10 brought a lot of character and the punch, with 'zero' adjustments to the bass and treble controls. And boy, to me this had a warm sound, compared to the Marantz. Bought the SR10 right there with a good discount, took it home and paired with JBL Control 1 - absolutely no bass, but the mid-range/vocal and instrument separation was top notch.

Luckily, I was able to buy a pair of GoldenEar AON3 bookshelf speakers from Mumbai. Now, I listen to songs for hours together without fatigue. One word - I'm super happy with the CA amp than I ever was with the Marantz. Maybe, just my ears. So, I'd suggest you audition. Nothing like it. That will keep you happy for years, unlike me having to learn it the hard way by buying a Marantz that my ears didn't like much.

The setup that's keeping my happy now: CA SR10 + GoldenEar AON3 + Schiit Modi 3 + Apple Music

All the best with whatever you decide to go with!
You are right, I had also purchased marantz pm6004 on the basis of reviews but found the sound little bright, comparatively sr10 is more warm, with punchy bass.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back