Cambridge audio dv-89 Upscaling player

er moser, i hope you also read venkat's responses.

I did. In fact even I am in the process of updating my entire music collection from mp3 to FLAC. Just that I have not purchased any audio CDs in a long while now. I am not condoning or advocating piracy here. Just stating the obvious!!!

I did. In fact even I am in the process of updating my entire music collection from mp3 to FLAC. Just that I have not purchased any audio CDs in a long while now. I am not condoning or advocating piracy here. Just stating the obvious!!!

Moser, given the fact that a Audio CD (at least Indian music) is available for 100 to 200 rupees, this works out to between 10 to 20 rupees per song, assuming you have 10 odd songs per CDs. I think this is a very reasonable price at least to store your music as a backup. Some of the CDs I have heard so many times, that cost per listen will be less than 10 paise!!

I have now started duplicating some of my popular CDs that I use very often, and locking away the original. Even accepting that I lose 5 odd dB every time I copy, that is more acceptable to me than ripping into MP3 or downloading. I have downloaded and tried many a song, and I always lean back to play my Redbook CDs (or their homemade copies)

Cheers

Moser, given the fact that a Audio CD (at least Indian music) is available for 100 to 200 rupees, this works out to between 10 to 20 rupees per song, assuming you have 10 odd songs per CDs. I think this is a very reasonable price at least to store your music as a backup. Some of the CDs I have heard so many times, that cost per listen will be less than 10 paise!!

I have now started duplicating some of my popular CDs that I use very often, and locking away the original. Even accepting that I lose 5 odd dB every time I copy, that is more acceptable to me than ripping into MP3 or downloading. I have downloaded and tried many a song, and I always lean back to play my Redbook CDs (or their homemade copies)

Cheers

Venkat,

I totally agree with you. Just that I have more than 340 GB of music collected over the years in mp3 and even if I want to get Audio CDs for all of them, they just are not available in Hyderabad. In fact its easier to source them in FLAC on the internet. Once again, I am not condoning piracy, just stating what I have found and not found. But to state the obvious, the quality in an Audio CD is way ahead and I have not even heard an SACD or DVD-Audio.

Hi,

This dealer ( Pro-Audiotronics, Bangalore ) quoted 11K.Searched in the grey market and finally bought the new box-packed one for 6.4K. I would say a good performer and great VFM at this price.

-Sunil

Where did you get the Pioneer from? I would like to check it out.

TIA

Please let me know if the CA DVD89/99 plays FLAC?
TIA

Neither will play a FLAC file.

As far as I know, FLAC files can only be played on a PC or a music server that supports that specific format. If you looking at taking it on a stick drive and playing it from the USB of a CD Player or a DVD, I am afraid that is not possible. At least with the current crop of players.

Cheers

The GBP is hovering around the Rs. 70 mark of late.

Have there been any changes to the CA DVD prices?

Neither will play a FLAC file.

As far as I know, FLAC files can only be played on a PC or a music server that supports that specific format. If you looking at taking it on a stick drive and playing it from the USB of a CD Player or a DVD, I am afraid that is not possible. At least with the current crop of players.

Cheers

Yeah I plugged in my USB stick having flac files, it does not even list files in the directory with extension flac. Nothing showed up. Its like the software only filters on file extensions when listing directory.

Regards

Re: Cambridge audio dv-89/dv-99 Upscaling player

Got hold of a CA DVD99 yesterday for 14.5k (MRP at Lucknow is 16K). Paired it with a 42-PV7 thru HDMI. Connected receiver (Yamaha RX-V440) thru co-ax (receiver does not have HDMI).

Earlier DVD player was a Sony NS-P51 (3.9k 2.5 years ago) connected thru component with good quality DAC gold plated cable. Had set that up with progressive output, leaving the TV to simply upscale. There were some image noise issues, which were not very evident from my normal viewing distance of around 10 feet.

The DVD99 has been currently set to output 720P. All image processing in the player have been turned off. First impressions - slightly tighter image, slightly less image noise, slightly crisper sound (i mean the 5.1 bitstream - havent tested CD play since I am in any case using a Marantz CD 5001 through analogue RCA output for 2 channel audio). Not a quantum jump for movie watching, but just enough to make me feel ok about the expense. Havent got around to testing out the SACD output thru 5.1 analogue outs (the receiver has 5.1 analogue in) since I dont have the necessary RCA cables yet. The player seems to be region free, plays pirated DVDs but does not recognise mp3.

Now for the questions :-
1. Anybody done any tests regarding which output is better among 480/576P or 720P for a HD ready 42 plasma? (I am not considering the 1080P output since the TV will have to downscale that in any case - not much point.)
2. Are there any hacks to make it read mp3 thru the USB port or thru disc ? Right now it recognises the pendrive and lists the folders, but does not display the mp3 files inside the folder. (I seem to have seen DVD89 hacks for mp3 somewhere, but not for DVD99.)
3.Any other suggestions / comments ?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Cambridge audio dv-89/dv-99 Upscaling player

Now for the questions :-
1. Anybody done any tests regarding which output is better among 480/576P or 720P for a HD ready 42 plasma? (I am not considering the 1080P output since the TV will have to downscale that in any case - not much point.)
2. Are there any hacks to make it read mp3 thru the USB port or thru disc ? Right now it recognises the pendrive and lists the folders, but does not display the mp3 files inside the folder. (I seem to have seen DVD89 hacks for mp3 somewhere, but not for DVD99.)
3.Any other suggestions / comments ?

Thanks in advance.

For mp3,this can be trick-

Cambridge Audio DV99 - Page 2 - AVForums.com

read what spader says.

Does any one tried DVD99(with usb)?Reviews are good ,compared to Oppo970-
Home Theater & Sound Equipment Review -- Cambridge Audio DVD99 SACD/CD/DVD-Audio/Video Player (3/2009)

thanks spiro. was able to trace out the mp3 hack from avforum last week and it works like a charm. but thanks for yr help anyway.

regarding the review link of hometheatersound, i dont know about the A-B review vis-a-vis the 970HD for the simple reason that i have never heard / seen the oppo at work. but having used the CA for nearly a month now, i can vouch for the fact that the PQ is much more stable and sharp (two different things but both equally important, imo) and the 5.1 sound is way better than anything i've heard before (here again, i've never heard the 971HD either, so take that with a pinch of salt guys).

on the downside, yes, the display is not as bright as other run-of-the-mill players but its an unusual sky blue colour - quite nifty!

the major porblem is that the CA does not have multi disc resume facility. in fact, once you switch off the player, it forgets the resume info of the curent disc as well !!!!! not good:mad:.

bottomline - so then, am i happy to replace a perfectly functioning and workmanlike Sony player (3.9K) with a player costing more than 3 times as much, which does not even have a resume function ? you bet i am. on the PQ & SQ fonts, it beats the older player hands down. now all i have to do is think up profitable ways of using the USB port (playing mp3 tracks from USB drives is not my idea of a profitable use).

any suggestion guys ?

thanks spiro. was able to trace out the mp3 hack from avforum last week and it works like a charm. but thanks for yr help anyway.

regarding the review link of hometheatersound, i dont know about the A-B review vis-a-vis the 970HD for the simple reason that i have never heard / seen the oppo at work. but having used the CA for nearly a month now, i can vouch for the fact that the PQ is much more stable and sharp (two different things but both equally important, imo) and the 5.1 sound is way better than anything i've heard before (here again, i've never heard the 971HD either, so take that with a pinch of salt guys).

on the downside, yes, the display is not as bright as other run-of-the-mill players but its an unusual sky blue colour - quite nifty!

the major porblem is that the CA does not have multi disc resume facility. in fact, once you switch off the player, it forgets the resume info of the curent disc as well !!!!! not good:mad:.

bottomline - so then, am i happy to replace a perfectly functioning and workmanlike Sony player (3.9K) with a player costing more than 3 times as much, which does not even have a resume function ? you bet i am. on the PQ & SQ fonts, it beats the older player hands down. now all i have to do is think up profitable ways of using the USB port (playing mp3 tracks from USB drives is not my idea of a profitable use).

any suggestion guys ?

Thanks for rev.
I heard recently DVD89 with Yam663,liked stereo SQ.I thought CD is played in CD player ,it was 89.
I m worried abt some failures with CA DVDp reported somewhere & issues with pic performance ,jaggies.Did you notice such one?

It is not so comfortable with formats other than CD/DVD.

So pls.put pros & cons.
If these problems r solved,then it can be (99)best usb DVD universal Player.

jaggies - my personal opinion is that its extremely good with jaggies (or rather, the absence of it !!). the deinterlacer must be good. of course, all my experiments till date are with the 720p upscaled output. i'll have to spend some hours with the 480i output to conclude just how good the deinterlacer really is (vis-a-vis the deinterlacer in the pv7). give me some time.

problems reported elsewhere - yeah, i've read some posts in avforum regarding malfunctioning DVD99s. took a chance and hope i win :yahoo:

jaggies - my personal opinion is that its extremely good with jaggies (or rather, the absence of it !!). the deinterlacer must be good. of course, all my experiments till date are with the 720p upscaled output. i'll have to spend some hours with the 480i output to conclude just how good the deinterlacer really is (vis-a-vis the deinterlacer in the pv7). give me some time.

problems reported elsewhere - yeah, i've read some posts in avforum regarding malfunctioning DVD99s. took a chance and hope i win :yahoo:

Thanks,have found any detailed abt chips used for upscaling?even DAC?
Azur series has very high Q.

the dvd99 manual does not mention the chip. but i came across this link :
MPEG4-Players - Cambridge Audio DVD99

apparently it uses the following chips -
1.Video Chipset - MediaTek MT1389SE
2.Upscaler - MediaTek MT1392E

vaguely remember reading somewhere that the 981HD uses the same chip - but i cud be wrong.

hey the 980 uses the mediatek chips, the 981 uses faroudja and 983 ABT.

vaguely remember reading somewhere that the 981HD uses the same chip - but i cud be wrong.

Thanks,but any idea abt DAC chip used?

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back