Cambridge Audio Topaz AM5 with Wharfedale Diamond 220/225

Cyphr

Hi guys,

I apologise for skipping the intro section and heading straight to the forums. I'm always at a loss for words when it comes to intros. :eek:) I've just got started on this probably life long journey of hi-fi audio nirvana, and out there to get my first pair of bookshelf speakers and a stereo amplifier.

I've done a bit of research on equipment which fit my current budget and I'm probably getting either the Wharfedale Diamond 220 or the 225 subject to how much I end up spending for an entry level amp. If I save up a bit on the amp, I'll get the bigger 225 or will have to make do with the 220 for now.

Towards that goal I've singled out the Topaz AM5 or the AM10. I'm kind of undecided on whether I should consider the Norge 2060 or the 1000 Gold as those are the other 2 amps that fit this budget. I'm just inclined more towards Cambridge Audio. Marantz PM5005 is what I'm going to upgrade to next, but I'm afraid it is not in my budget right now.

So here is the predicament. If I get the more powerful AM10, I'll have to settle for the Diamond 220 for now. If I get the AM5, I'll perhaps be able to get the Diamond 225. Since I'm going to *try* avoiding the 'upgrade bug' in the near future (a year or two atleast), this decision is crucial. The AM10 should be sufficient to drive the 220s (and the 225s), but I'm wondering if the AM5 is sufficient to drive the Diamond 225(?)

Is the Diamond 220 sufficient for a small to medium size room? Conversely, is the AM5 sufficient to drive the 225s in the same environment?

A bit about my musical preferences :

I'm mostly into 80s rock,pop rock, synthwave, 90s trip hop (Portishead, Morcheeba, Bjork, Massive attack etc.), gothic symphonic music and occasionally into jazz, country and blues music.

I've also got a habitual preference for melancholic overtones in music heavy on vocals. So the voice of Karen Carpenter, Stevie Nicks, Alison Goldfrapp, Beth Gibbons and Amy Lee sort of put me in a state of 'trance'. :p I guess, you get the gist. I kind of prefer good mids and highs over bass. Bass acts more as a filler for me. :)

My room size is 15x11.

So given all the details above, what options do you think fit my requirements the best. Also, I'm definitely open to other options. :)

P.s. Sorry for the long post.

Thanks.

What will be the source?
Have you taken demo of the combo's mentioned above?
If not then pls do so first

Grab this Cambridge Audio Azur 640A version 2: from pre owned section. Just 16K
Which is equal to price of a new AM10.
There is also a Harmon-Kardon for sale at 12K. And another Yamaha A-S500 for 17K. I don't find any reason to not grab the pre-owned.
Just pair it up with WD220 and enjoy!

Last edited:
Hi, yours is a slightly above average sized room. You may need higher power amp. For your requirement of good vocals and highs WD is an excellent choice. You will not getter better speakers for that purpose and at the reduced prices. Coming to the amp, if you are comfortable pl do consider the used Yamaha AS500. It's a star performer and pairs well with WD. If you want new suggest to slightly increase your budget and get a AM10. Better still if you can budget for the Marantz. The prices are very good now and you will not lose money in upgrading after 1/2 years. Marantz amps and Wharfedale are classy items. They will stay with you for a long time.

Sent thru mobile

Hi Cyphr,

Since you are based in Mumbai, there are a lot of dealer shop options to purchase from.

Accordingly, you can find the best priced systems and audition the ones that meet your requirements and budget.

If budget is a challenge, look at the For Sale by owner or Hi Fi Ads where good systems / equipment is available for reasonable rates.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back