Cambridge CXN V2 - My new audiophile streamer and internet radio - detailed review

• Thread starter Deleted member 15865
  • Start date
Hi @SachinChavan / @drkrack ,

I almost finalized to go for "Cambridge Audio CXN V2" but confused on below two points,

1. How to integrate a Subwoofer with CXN..? (Using Y Cable..?)
2. As CXN doesn't have HT Bypass, is there any way to integrate with HT without adding preamp (like Schiit Freya+) in the middle.

Please Note: Integrating SW with Stereo and integrating Stereo with HT are my future plans.

I came across 2 products which solves above 2 points but raises other problems,

1. Parasound Halo P6 (Preamp & DAC) ==> Streamer part is missing
2. NAD C658 (Preamp/DAC/Streamer) ==> It has all features like Sub-OUT, HT-Bypass, DIRAC, MQA, BluOS but user reviews are not promising.,/
I don't think I understand your question completely but let me try ;
Cxn v2 has 2 set of outputs, RCA and XLR, Luckily both are active at any given time.
It Works as a Digital preamp as well. For stereo you can connect the stereo output to rca to the amplifier and use xlr to rca adapter to connect the subwoofer directly to Cxn v2. Subwoofer should have crossover and volume control which needs to be calibrated for a desired output.
If you don't want to use the Digital preamp function of Cxn v2, you can buy either of the preamp you've mentioned. I'd prefer the Nad here, which has room correction built in.

For HT you need an AVR, you can connect to cxn v2 to stereo inputs of the AVR, Subwoofer out from AVR can be used for connecting subwoofer. AVR will have desired configuration options for subwoofer control. Cxn v2 cannot play video files, you can use it with video source as an external DAC, provided your video source has hdmi output to connect it to a display and usb or coaxial output to send the audio to Cxn v2. But it'll be limited to 2.0. Hopefully I answered your question.

Cxn v2 has 2 set of outputs, RCA and XLR, Luckily both are active at any given time.
It Works as a Digital preamp as well. For stereo you can connect the stereo output to rca to the amplifier and use xlr to rca adapter to connect the subwoofer directly to Cxn v2. Subwoofer should have crossover and volume control which needs to be calibrated for a desired output.

Thanks for clearing my doubts.
I ordered "ELAC Navis ARB-51" Active speaker which has XLR connection. So I can use "XLR out" of CXN to Speaker and then "RCA out" of CXN to Subwoofer.

For integrating Stereo with HT, I can use AVR front pre-outs to RCA input of preamp/streamer but CXN doesn't have any analog inputs.

For HT you need an AVR, you can connect to cxn v2 to stereo inputs of the AVR,
I couldn't understand above line, could you please clarify..

couldn't understand above line, could you please clarify..
I wasn't aware that you're using powered speakers, with XLR input. Mentioning your complete chain is always better, it clears lots of confusions. Now, though I am unclear about make and model of your AVR or source, let me try.
For integrating Stereo with HT, I can use AVR front pre-outs to RCA input of preamp/streamer but CXN doesn't have any analog inputs.
Yes, Cxn v2 doesn't accept analog inputs. You should get rid of AVR ( unless your AVR has digital audio out) from the chain and connect your source directly to Cxn v2 via its digital inputs (USB, digital coax or optical out from your source). If you have only hdmi out from your source, use hdmi to spdif converter/splitter to route digital audio out to cxn v2 and video to your display via hdmi. If your source is a laptop take usb out for audio to Cxn v2 and laptop hdmi out to your display.
But again the audio will be downmixed to 2.0 instead of regular 5.1. If you already have a AVR, buy separate set of passive speakers and use it for dedicated HT purposes.

Mentioning your complete chain is always better, it clears lots of confusions.
My apologies for not mentioning the complete chain.

Current Setup plan:
TV==>Digital Audio Out ==>CXN==>XLR out==>ELAC Navis Active Speaker.
Listening:
1. Streaming Spotify & Tidal.
2. TV
3. FLAC songs from Hard-disk connected to CXN.

Future setup plans:

Stereo with SW:

CXN==>RCA out==>Subwoofer

Stereo with HT:
TV==>Digital Audio Out ==>CXN==>XLR out==>Schiit Freya+==>XLR out==>ELAC Navis Active Speaker.
TV==>HDMI==>Marantz SR6014==>Front-CH Pre-out==>Schiit Freya+

In this HT setup, CXN goes out of the HT chain.

I want to use my active speakers as front channel speakers for 5.1 HT setup. This is the reason for choosing ELAC Navis, otherswise I would've gone for All-in-one solution of KEF LS50W.

Are my plans makes sense or is there any better way to do it..?

My apologies for not mentioning the complete chain.

Current Setup plan:
Listening:
1. Streaming Spotify & Tidal.
2. TV
3. FLAC songs from Hard-disk connected to CXN.

Future setup plans:

Stereo with SW:

CXN==>RCA out==>Subwoofer

Stereo with HT:
TV==>Digital Audio Out ==>CXN==>XLR out==>Schiit Freya+==>XLR out==>ELAC Navis Active Speaker.
TV==>HDMI==>Marantz SR6014==>Front-CH Pre-out==>Schiit Freya+

In this HT setup, CXN goes out of the HT chain.

I want to use my active speakers as front channel speakers for 5.1 HT setup. This is the reason for choosing ELAC Navis, otherswise I would've gone for All-in-one solution of KEF LS50W.

Are my plans makes sense or is there any better way to do it..?
Your plans look OK as far as Stereo listening is concerned.

For HT it's bit complicated, I feel. I'd rather invest in a cheaper 5.0 from Taga , pioneer, Elac or Polk and connect it to SR 6014 and be done with HT. Channeling fronts via Freya+ ( 2 preamp in the chain) is unnecessary I feel.
Better way? Well simplify the setup. Connect the front preouts from AVR directly to Elac powered speakers. They have RCA inputs as well, as far as I can see.

It'd be better to open a separate thread in a Correct category for more useful suggestions, mentioning the room size, cables etc. We should not be digressing further from the OT here.

@SachinChavan do you have any plans to upgrade the DAC or are you considering settling for some time with the in-built DAC?

CXN comes with wolfson 8740 and the next higher models of CXN is the 851N with the AD1955 (same as what I get in CA 851C CDP) or the ones in Audiolab 6000N (ESS Sabre). I miss the dial / display very badly in my DIY Allo Digione streamer, hope someday there will be a good budget streamer without the price component of a DAC.

Also did you try playing any of the TIDAL MQAs on the CXN? CXN anyway supports max Bit rate of MQA which is 24/96.

One last thing, can you please check if you can find Venice Classic Radio Italia in CXN?

Hi @haisaikat, my replies below.

do you have any plans to upgrade the DAC or are you considering settling for some time with the in-built DAC?

None for now. I am quite satisfied with the CXN’s sound for the purpose (listening to streaming and radio). My more intense listening happens with my CD collection and there I find the TD1541A DAC on the vintage Yamaha player more musical. But the CXN DAC is a new age one, so naturally designed for current day music and has a good engaging, fun nature, more aimed at energy than melody. So, I get a variety of sound between the two sources which I appreciate individually for what they are.

did you try playing any of the TIDAL MQAs on the CXN?

Yes, I have. And in every single case I prefer the FLAC version of a track over the MQA version through my CXN (I have described it in detail in some other thread, but in short, I find the FLAC versions more emotionally connecting and natural sounding). This could be because the CXN DAC cannot unfold two out of the three folds a MQA file has. But in general also I am not convinced about MQA.

can you please check if you can find Venice Classic Radio Italia in CXN?

I checked. And it’s listed in the search options. I am playing it now. It’s just at 128 kbps, but SQ is nice. Do they have higher resolution stream? If one knows the url of any stream, they can easily add it to the CXN via StreamMagic.

8CAE8FF6-3130-41D4-BAAD-EC9253F8C0FF.jpeg

My go to radio station for western classical music is ‘Radio Classic Klasu Pro’ which streams in FLAC. I also listen to Linn Classic which is 320 Kbps and good too. Even Naim Radio has a good stream. CXN excels at Internet Radio - both in terms of content and user experience. You have 20 presets. I only wish all of them were accessible via the remote (it only has 1-8 buttons). But you can access the rest via a combination of the remote and the display screen.

do you have any plans to upgrade the DAC or are you considering settling for some time with the in-built DAC?
I couldn't make out a great advantages with MQA though I felt DSD to be slightly better.
I compared Cxn v2 with Ess DAC(9013 & 9038)s, though the resolution was better with Ess, but with meaty tonality and beautiful musicality Cxn v2 was way better. The Cirrus DAC of my Marantz CD 6006 was inferior to Cxn v2 DAC.

The Gungnir Multibit DAC and Denafrips Ares2 DACs were much better (more airier, better resolution) & improved the SQ by a decent margin over what Wolfson DACs of Cxn. I bought Ares2 recently.
Hopefully that addresses your question but these are subjective opinions & YMMV.

Last edited:
@SachinChavan @drkrack
If we want to use an External R2R DAC like "Denafrips Ares II" with CXN V2,
Can a Digital Preamp in CXN V2 control Volume with external standalone DAC eliminating the need of an analog preamp..?
CXN-V2==>Denafrips Ares II==>Active Speaker.

I think It is possible because it seems to be possible with Bluesound Node 2i.

@SachinChavan @drkrack
If we want to use an External R2R DAC like "Denafrips Ares II" with CXN V2,
Can a Digital Preamp in CXN V2 control Volume with external standalone DAC eliminating the need of an analog preamp..?
CXN-V2==>Denafrips Ares II==>Active Speaker.

I think It is possible because it seems to be possible with Bluesound Node 2i.

@sathtom, I don’t know. I’ve used CXN’s digital preamp when I used its own DAC. I don’t use it much anyway as I prefer using my tube pre instead. You could write to Cambridge Helpdesk. They are usually prompt with replies. It’s better to get confirmation than trying out as if it doesn’t support, then you might damage your speakers.

I’ve used CXN’s digital preamp when I used its own DAC. I don’t use it much anyway as I prefer using my tube pre instead. You could write to Cambridge Helpdesk.

I have contacted Cambridge Audio and they confirmed that CXN-V2's Digital preamp is active only on the analogue outputs.

Whereas, Bluesound Node 2i can control Volume even via its Digital outputs.

I have contacted Cambridge Audio and they confirmed that CXN-V2's Digital preamp is active only on the analogue outputs.

Whereas, Bluesound Node 2i can control Volume even via its Digital outputs.
I didn't like the digital preamp of Cxn v2. Though it works on analog section its not great SQ wise. My cheaper analog preamp like Schiit SYS and Acoustic Portrait Swara tube preamp were far better.

Now, Volume Control of Digital Signal ( Which are essentially 1 and 0s) will be much inferior in my opinion and experience. It's basically not more than software volume control ( if I understand it correctly), which has never worked for me. I have tried connecting DACs ( without preamp) to power amp umpteen number of times, but the sound becomes lifeless and flat in my experience. Input signal attenuation in a digital domain is a strict No from me. Its not a great feature and adds unnecessary complexity.

Any idea who is the distributor for Cambridge Audio now? heard a lot of shuffling toke place.

Thanks.

Any idea who is the distributor for Cambridge Audio now? heard a lot of shuffling toke place.

Thanks.

Sanjaybhai mob 9833567275 use to keep Cambridge audio gear . His showroom if I am not mistaken should be in Bhandup.

I think Audio One is the Distributor for Cambridge Audio

Audio One keeps Anthem, but no harm in checking with them. If I am not mistaken they are distributors and may not sell directly to the end consumers.

Sanjaybhai mob 9833567275 use to keep Cambridge audio gear . His showroom if I am not mistaken should be in Bhandup.

Audio One keeps Anthem, but no harm in checking with them. If I am not mistaken they are distributors and may not sell directly to the end consumers.
yes u r right. audio one promotes their brands via their dealer network only. i bought a cxn series 2 v2 recently. worth every penny of money spent on it

Hi, I am in the exact same situation here. My CXNv2 is connected to my 851W via balanced out. Can I use the RCA out to my sub?

Hi, I am in the exact same situation here. My CXNv2 is connected to my 851W via balanced out. Can I use the RCA out to my sub?

Yes you can use RCA out of CXN V2 to Subwoofer. CXN V2 outputs to both RCA & XLR outs simultaneously.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back