Cambridge CXN V2 - My new audiophile streamer and internet radio - detailed review

• Thread starter Deleted member 15865
  • Start date
Here’s an update on how I am using CXN in my system. I’ve gone through a few system configurations and have now settled with what I think is the best of those.
Hi Sachin,

I too am looking at a Streamer/DAC but I also would like for it to be able to play the music files I have stored on a USB hard disk (https://www.lacie.com/as/en/products/d2/). I have over 3000CDs ripped to this hard disk and I am looking for a streamer that can read these files along with the album art that I have tagged to the files.

Can the Cambridge CXN do this? Also, can it stream MQA from Tidal? Thanks.

Hi Sachin,

I too am looking at a Streamer/DAC but I also would like for it to be able to play the music files I have stored on a USB hard disk (https://www.lacie.com/as/en/products/d2/). I have over 3000CDs ripped to this hard disk and I am looking for a streamer that can read these files along with the album art that I have tagged to the files.

S Cambridge audio can do this but not mqa from tidal

Hi Sachin,

As Girish has replied earlier, CXN plays files off a hard disk, though an externally powered hard disk gives better results. CXN‘s DAC is not MQA enabled.

A921B961-1431-493B-AB80-7629E1489A36.jpeg

07FBB31E-53FB-4008-A33A-B3B7FEA9D1F2.jpeg
(From Cambridge Audio’s FB page)

I’ve been using the beta release (having opted for early firmware updates) since last few weeks and it’s one of the best features to get added to the already feature-rich CXN. Now it’s officially released.

I’ve been using the beta release (having opted for early firmware updates) since last few weeks and it’s one of the best features to get added to the already feature-rich CXN. Now it’s officially released.
Awesome!

The Cambridge CXN V2 and Azur 851 both look very nice.

I am seriously considering the 851 vs the Matrix Audio Element M and Cocktail Audio N25. The big difference was lack of MQA in the Cambridge audio products and the statement from Cambridge Audio that read as follows "There are currently no plans to integrate MQA support into any of our current products as this would require a hardware modification to install a Full MQA Decoder....As the Decoder is not built-in, these files will play at a maximum of 24 Bit/96 kHz."

My hope was that CA would finally integrate Native MQA as they are already offering it with their 200M DAC.

Stream Magic changes its colors!

I was quite bored of the cyan blue background of the Stream Magic app - it seemed dull and archaic. Cambridge developed have finally changed it. SM is now with a fresh white background like most other modern apps. The older blue has been judiciously retained for the titles and some accents. Not much has changed in terms of functionality (nothing that I could find), but accessibility of some features has improved with the layout modifications.

So, not a major revision which feels like one as it impacts the mood of the user. Take a look.

F720DE3E-3922-4897-922D-C4BFF7F7C714.jpg

4E330276-6FCD-4571-8237-7E4032797470.jpg

6ADC7844-B384-4AF6-94F6-3F624040105F.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Stream Magic changes its colors!

I was quite bored of the cyan blue background of the Stream Magic app - it seemed dull and archaic. Cambridge developed have finally changed it. SM is now with a fresh white background like most other modern apps. The older blue has been judiciously retained for the titles and some accents. Not much has changed in terms of functionality (nothing that I could find), but accessibility of some features has improved with the layout modifications.

So, not a major revision which feels like one as it impacts the mood of the user. Take a look.

View attachment 56092

View attachment 56093

View attachment 56094
Search option is available while selecting Music Library ( NAS)?
I remember it was not available in earlier platform.

Search within current folder level only, not within sub folders
That’s right. I don’t think there are any/significant feature addition in this version. The app is still lacking in many of the standard expectations from such apps. Why they can’t learn from market leader such as Roon and replicate the features is beyond me.

I have structured my music library on the HDD into logical folders and (deep) subfolders for easy retrieval.

Now 99 Radio presets!

The CXN was limited to setting only 20 presets till now. This was highly constraining for many of us who have varied interest in radio. It was one of the common development suggestions to Cambridge - and finally, they’ve heard us.

223D3691-1470-49B7-AECF-37B109F49E77.jpeg

Now, there’s a provision for 99 radio stations (remember you can also set a Spotify playlist as a preset). I’ve just added the 21st preset (see pic above). I guess 99 should be fairly sufficient a number for most of us.

The only peeve is, how do you navigate between 99 stations? The remote only allows you to select 1-8 (I could never understand why they couldn’t instead enable us to use the digits on the remote to select any station number!) So, for now, we can either walk those few feet up to the CXN and change the preset using the dial and the screen - it’s always a joy - that tactile feel and visual selection. Or else, you can select the preset by horizontally scrolling through the list in the StreamMagic app on a handheld device.

C63F410B-0079-4138-995E-8ADE9F36317C.jpeg

Great review - your worldspace analogy brought memories rushing back!
on a side note, Since we have already agreed to disagree on certain elements :), I am not much of a believer in a run-in for a pure solid state device like your CXN and probably more to do with your brain getting used to the new sound.
But to repeat, congratulations on your new acquisition and thanks for a great review!
This

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back