Can an old PC be converted into an HTPC?

How about Win98? Does it support NAS/file servers? My machine actually has Win98 currently.
I'm heavily prejudiced, and everything I say about Windows has to be taken in that context ;) but as far as I am concerned, the first Windows not to be a complete pile of doggy dung was Windows 2000. That is partly because they greatly improved the networking in W2K, and that, with an office full of people, mattered to me.

Wait... Actually, W98SE (note the SE) was not tooooo awful :cool:

But... I think that Windows file and print sharing has been there since 3.something (11?) that was called Windows for Workgroups.

Speaking with the aforementioned prejudice (not to mention a dim memory) I'd say that W2K was the first to do networking properly. I don't think it needed any kind of registration either --- so all you need is a CD... :cool:

in my opinion, the only use you can make of that pc is linux based file server /NAS. Even windows based file server will be very slow. You will also need to buy sata to PCI cards to connect the newer hard disks.

IDE disks are still available, eg these, but, if this selection from one vendor is typical, max 300Gb doesn't bode well for a file server.

Maybe time for the unthinkable: throw it away :sad:

(or better... give it away to a youngster to whom any PC is better than no PC)

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back