Can brand new speakers have scratches on back plate?

QAI

Got my brand new pair of Q Acoustics M20 active bookshelf speakers from Amazon today morning.

While they sound fabulous, while fixing the cables I noticed a scratch on the primary speaker back plate and on closer inspection even the screws used on the plates of both speakers have the scratches like they have been opened and tightened again.

My friend told me these high-end speakers are hand assembled and these are regular things on new speakers.

Please also note the other packing was absolutely intact and the box was sealed.

Can someone check if their speakers also have these scratches?

I can still return these to Amazon if they are refurbished and repacked by the company but don't want to as I am simply loving the way they sound.

Thanks in advance.

Got my brand new pair of Q Acoustics M20 active bookshelf speakers from Amazon today morning.

While they sound fabulous, while fixing the cables I noticed a scratch on the primary speaker back plate and on closer inspection even the screws used on the plates of both speakers have the scratches like they have been opened and tightened again.

My friend told me these high-end speakers are hand assembled and these are regular things on new speakers.

Please also note the other packing was absolutely intact and the box was sealed.

I can still return these to Amazon if they are refurbished and repacked by the company but don't want to as I am simply loving the way they sound.

Thanks in advance.
Attaching pictures. As you see even the small black knobs had some dust on them.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220211-210645.jpg
    Screenshot_20220211-210645.jpg
    862.2 KB · Views: 114
  • Screenshot_20220211-210607.jpg
    Screenshot_20220211-210607.jpg
    975.4 KB · Views: 114
  • Screenshot_20220211-210551.jpg
    Screenshot_20220211-210551.jpg
    901.2 KB · Views: 114

Thanks in advance.
Mine arrived today too. No scratches on mine. Could you post pics?

What ? One more ? Your equipment list will take up a whole page !!! :p
Its simply brilliant. I daresay you can't build a better "system" for the price or anywhere near it!

I'm planning to gift it to a friend in a few days time. Just making sure it works fine and performs up to expectations ;)

Its simply brilliant. I daresay you can't build a better "system" for the price or anywhere near it!

I'm planning to gift it to a friend in a few days time. Just making sure it works fine and performs up to expectations ;)
Will definitely look it up then. I am planning to gift a setup to my nephew who loves music.

I have posted pictures. Can anyone check and advise please? It's unnerving to think I received a refurbished unit when I paid for a new one :(

Attaching pictures. As you see even the small black knobs had some dust on them.
Its pretty evident if you got a refurbished item. When you'd unwrapped your speakers, was their a paper label indicating how to hold the speaker while lifting it? If it wasn't torn,/removed, there's a good chance this is a QC issue and not refurbished/returned speakers.

Its pretty evident if you got a refurbished item. When you'd unwrapped your speakers, was their a paper label indicating how to hold the speaker while lifting it? If it wasn't torn,/removed, there's a good chance this is a QC issue and not refurbished/returned speakers.
Thank you so much. The paper label was there quite intact infact.

But wouldn't the company repack the speakers as good as new after repairing them? (if they came back to them after a user exchanged them for a new as they were defective).

The back panel looks like someone opened it and fixed it back. Now my question is how does this get done when a brand new unit is being manufactured by the company? Am sure it's a manual job to set up the components inside and seal them up with the back plate using a screw driver.

Another problem is Amazon is offering a return and not a replacement as the seller doesn't have another unit with them at the moment.

Will definitely look it up then. I am planning to gift a setup to my nephew who loves music.
Just go for it. Its a no brainer. Simply plug and play. Got Bluetooth, USB, coaxial, optical inputs, RCA and 3.5 mm inputs as well as sub out. And even over Bluetooth, the performance is phenomenal. So is the bass considering the speaker size(or any speaker size for that matter. It was filling my living room which opens into a dining room in quite a wholesome manner and the bass roll off is just perfect, residually considering you can adjust it for room gain). And they look pretty Scandinavian minimalist chic.

It won't be an exaggeration to say Its the last audio system many a person will ever need.

A few friends who came to audition it scored it 8/10 if the Quad S5 with the Cambridge audio CXA81 and the dual RELs were 10/10. That's high praise indeed! (Granted they don't have very sophisticated ears which is why i made my previous remark)

p.s. - just for the heck of it, i hooked it up to my RME ADI-2 FS and one of the REL T9i's while the source was Allo Digione Signature. It was simply delicious!

Posting some pics

Thank you so much. The paper label was there quite intact infact.

But wouldn't the company repack the speakers as good as new after repairing them? (if they came back to them after a user exchanged them for a new as they were defective).

The back panel looks like someone opened it and fixed it back. Now my question is how does this get done when a brand new unit is being manufactured by the company? Am sure it's a manual job to set up the components inside and seal them up with the back plate using a screw driver.

Another problem is Amazon is offering a return and not a replacement as the seller doesn't have another unit with them at the moment.
That's quite the quandry. It'll be a shame to return them but I'm sure you can find them on hifimart as well for the same price?

Last edited:
Posting some pics

That's quite the quandry. It'll be a shame to return them but I'm sure you can find them on hifimart as well for the same
I was thrilled when I saw it listed at Amazon and thought I got a steal. Now my heart breaks thinking it's not a new unit and I'll have to let go of it.

Price at hifimart is a lot higher than what I got it for from Amazon.

By any chance does my name happen to appear in your list of friends ?

I was thrilled when I saw it listed at Amazon and thought I got a steal. Now my heart breaks thinking it's not a new unit and I'll have to let go of it.
If there is another pair, then Amazon will replace it or will refund your money if you raise your issue within the time frame.
You can order from Hifimart from "Offers and deals" section within this forum itself as pointed out by DB.

Hi, sorry to hear about this experience.
1. Who's the seller? 1.b) if they have already told you they can not replace and Amazon can only refund, then it is indeed a big call.

2. From pix:
The first one is the biggest red flag. Am assuming you posted it to show that scratch. But, unless it is some lighting issue with the camera, look at the uniform marks just above the L, R and Sub jacks.
Those are clearly wear and tear marks, unless I am terribly wrong.

The second pic, which am assuming you posted to show dust around the knob. Look at the O-ring behind the knob. That looks pretty worn, unless you caused it. Even the inside of the power socket looks worn from this photo.

Third pic, I don't have any explantion for the blemish in the red paint work.

But nonetheless, all signs point to refurbished back plate.

Now, it is up to you to figure what you wanna do next.

I'd say, return it to Amazon and take your money. Or if you like how it works, and you can convince yourself that the price you got it for is still around about or lower than a lightly used piece, please keep it.

If the price is good and the unit is working satisfactorily, keep it. And enjoy it.

Alternatively, you could send these same pix, with your unique serial number, to QA's customer care.
They are pretty prompt in their response and will let you know what is what.

Wishing you the best.

Please do let us know who the seller is, though.

Regards

Last edited:

Price at hifimart is a lot higher than what I got it for from Amazon.
Should things come to a pass, Anil's a lovely person. He always price matches as much as possible if it is reasonable.

It seems Q acoustic has a habit of mixing old/refurbished parts into new models.. my concept 20 speaker stands had similar issue. One of the top plates in my case was from an older batch with different colour tone and fit/design.. the then distributer also didn't help me and i had to live with it

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back