Can I connect Airtel HD Settop Box with my 5.1 Home Theatre and SDTV

Priyam1309

I have a LG SDTV and Samsung Home Theatre which does not have a HDMI Port but has a Optical In Port which currently is plugged to PS3. If I get Airtel HD Set top Box, can I get 5.1 Dolby sound from that, even though the picture would be non-HD?
Also, is there any device out there using which I can connect both my PS3 Optical cable and Set Top box Optical cable and switch automatically?

I have a LG SDTV and Samsung Home Theatre which does not have a HDMI Port but has a Optical In Port which currently is plugged to PS3. If I get Airtel HD Set top Box, can I get 5.1 Dolby sound from that, even though the picture would be non-HD?
Also, is there any device out there using which I can connect both my PS3 Optical cable and Set Top box Optical cable and switch automatically?

Only HD channels have 5.1 audio. U are saying u are gonna watch HD channels in SD resolution and i am not sure if that is possible to do accurately. Well if u get the video display right, then yes u shd get 5.1 dolby via the optical cable connected via the optical out port of Airtel STB which I am only guessing is there.

As for ur second question, i think thats possible only via an AVR. However, Does ur samsung HT has analog 5.1 input (not output which goes to speakers) ? if it does, then may be I ll have a cheap solution.

Only HD channels have 5.1 audio. U are saying u are gonna watch HD channels in SD resolution and i am not sure if that is possible to do accurately. Well if u get the video display right, then yes u shd get 5.1 dolby via the optical cable connected via the optical out port of Airtel STB which I am only guessing is there.

I was hoping to apply the same technique for this HD Settop Box as I did for PS3. i.e. I have used the component cable to connect PS3 display to TV display IN (it has a component display in). and hooked the PS3 optical out with HT optical port. So this was I get the 5.1 surround sound with non-HD Video.

As for ur second question, i think thats possible only via an AVR. However, Does ur samsung HT has analog 5.1 input (not output which goes to speakers) ? if it does, then may be I ll have a cheap solution.
Regarding the other question, I am not sure but the specs of the model are here - DVD Home Theater System C330 - TECH SPECS | SAMSUNG

Connect the optical out of Set Top Box to your Home theater

You will need something like the below for connecting both PS3 and Set Top Box.

Ex-Pro Optical TOSlink SPDIF Splitter - Plus 2 x 1m: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

Note that you do not have to select the source. Only ensure that only one source is switched on at a time.

As mentioned earlier, only HD channels have DD+/5.1 audio. You can connect the optical out from Airtel STB to your Samsung HTiB. But you will need a multi-port-in, one-port-out optical connector switch. I doubt whether there are any such switches available that automatically switch.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back