can I use the pre-out ports on my AVR to connect my stereo amp

ttarasu

Hi FMs
I have a Denon 7.2 channel AVR which I would like to use as a source to my Marantz stereo amp to power my L/R channels.

can I use the pre-out ports on my AVR to connect my stereo amp?

Denon: AVRX3100 to
Marantz Stereo amplifier PM57.

Will this benefit in any way.
What I think is I can bring the subwoofer into play.
Your suggestions please.
Thanks .

Yes.
Preouts connecting to stereo amp solves both purposes.
Music can be enjoyed in better way with same front speakers and ht also will have better performance.
You can add a decent source of music to stereo amp and take music to next level.

Hi FMs
I have a Denon 7.2 channel AVR which I would like to use as a source to my Marantz stereo amp to power my L/R channels.

What I think is I can bring the subwoofer into play.
Your suggestions please.
Thanks .

Yes you can use it that way. Things get more interesting if the Stereo amp has Mains IN or you are connecting to a Power Amp. Now since you are connecting to a Stereo Amp, there are 2 Volumes in play (2 Pre Amp sections). One in your receiver and the other in the Stereo Amplifier. This could make running Audyssey slightly tricky. What I do is fix a volume on the stereo amp, say at 12 o'clock position and then run Audyssey on the receiver which sets the gains accordingly. Just remember to turn the volume down on the stereo amp when using it with another Input.

MaSh

IMO ,while running Audyssey,stereo amp volume should be full so that avr can get correct sense of front speakers.Doing that,stereo amp can be working like Poweramp and AVR can set proper level of speakers.Listening music with another source need to start with zero volume on stereo amp.

Using AVR preouts to stereo amp spoil the signal ,is it so!

I have a sparking noise in the right channel initially (say for 3-5min) while playing.After that it settles down.
When consulted an Engr he advised to show some heat after checking the amp(Marantz amp),to keep in sunlight to get some heat.

IMO ,while running Audyssey,stereo amp volume should be full so that avr can get correct sense of front speakers.Doing that,stereo amp can be working like Poweramp and AVR can set proper level of speakers.Listening music with another source need to start with zero volume on stereo amp.
I didn’t run Audyssey after connecting the both.Is it required,if so
Should I disconnect all surround speakers and run Audyssey for 2.1 or otherwise.

Nope, running stereo amp at full volume will cause a Level imbalance in the receiver. Audyssey will try to level all speakers to 75db. And if the front speakers are too loud, it will cause the entire gain map to be set low. If you really want to get anal with the setup, the Stereo amp volume should be set in a way that the receiver lands at 0dB gain for the front speaker level. That when the setup will be perfect. Too high a volume on the stereo amp will also cause unnecessary hiss.

Should I disconnect all surround speakers and run Audyssey for 2.1 or otherwise.

Audyssey needs to be run no matter what. You can always tweak the settings later on. Run it with all Speakers connected.

MaSh

When I connected AVR preout to AVR multichannel in,l had to set second avr volume to almost full.Else there would be less sound from speakers than connected directly to first avr.Yes stereo amp gain is a point which has to check.

I have a sparking noise in the right channel initially (say for 3-5min) while playing.After that it settles down.
When consulted an Engr he advised to show some heat after checking the amp(Marantz amp),to keep in sunlight to get some heat.
Stereoamp's pre can change little signature though.That's why new stereo amps come with 'HT mode' which bypass its pretty.
That sound/Noise can be loose interconnect since its from one channel only.

If you plan to watch movies with audyssey on,then yes.lf you are liking earlier setting's sound,then no need.

Stereoamp's pre can change little signature though.That's why new stereo amps come with 'HT mode' which bypass its pretty.
That sound/Noise can be loose interconnect since its from one channel only.
The sound exists after changing the wires,speakers even interchanging speaker’s out the noise goes to the other Spk (left).Hope the problem is with the amp.Anything wrong in showing sunlight/heat to the amp?
Thanks for your time.

Yes.. You can use a power amplifier (or) a stereo amplifier with a facility (Pre-in) which can act as power-amp, with pre-outs from your AVR..

In your stereo amplifier PM57, which doesn't have the provision of power-amp, integration can tricky as FM Mash explained..

If you room is large (or) if the SPL is inadequate, then adding a power amplifier would be of benefit..

This will only work properly if your stereo amp can also be used as a power amp, newer Marantz amps let you do it, at least my 8005 does.
If it does not then as others have pointed out there will be two 'pre' sections in play causing significant degradation in sound.

Ideally your stereo Integrated amp should have Home Theater bypass mode or direct power amp mode inputs. So the preamp section of Stereo integrated amplifier is defeated. And AVR preamplifier becomes the only preamp in action.

Otherwise (if you don't have power amp inputs) , You can use the Preamplifier section of Your integrated amplifier as a predominant preamp by selecting source direct mode on your AVR. When running Audessey it's better to keep the stereo amp at the maximum volume achievable without distortion so AVR gets the correct idea of speakers and amplification downstream. Make sure to Keep Tone Control on your stereo Integrated amp defeated while running Audessey.

No then mine should have spoiled some 3 years back. Running a Arcam stereo amp for front floorstanders from a marantz avr . The other smaller speakers are connected to marantz for surround audio.

Before this, I had a NAD and Yamaha avr in the place of marantz which both had pre outs. It will not cause an issue.

No then mine should have spoiled some 3 years back. Running a Arcam stereo amp for front floorstanders from a marantz avr . The other smaller speakers are connected to marantz for surround audio.

Before this, I had a NAD and Yamaha avr in the place of marantz which both had pre outs. It will not cause an issue.
Hi all, new here.
Read through the thread. So connecting AVR Preout front channel to any line in (my Rega does not have HT by pass or pre-in) on stereo amp is OK right?

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back