Can Onkyo TX SR 705 be used as a phono pre amp

mahiruha

Hello guys,
I was wondeing about one possibility. Today hopefully or at somepoint this week I will get my Lyrita amp and the speakers. The Lyrita integrated amp doesn't have any phono input. All these days I have been running my TT using the phono input of my a/V receiver Onkyo TX -SR 705. I am wodering is it possible to use phono input of the of the receiver and feed it to the lyrita integrated amplifier as a line in option. Has anybody have any experience like this?
Thanks in advance,
Mahiruha.

I guess you can, as this avr has pre-outs.
But I thought you ordered a tube preamp too from lyrita?
There are other options also - like NAD which smedhavi on this forum uses. It should be in 8k price range IIRC.

I guess you can, as this avr has pre-outs.
But I thought you ordered a tube preamp too from lyrita?
There are other options also - like NAD which smedhavi on this forum uses. It should be in 8k price range IIRC.

Hello anant,
yes I have ordered the full pre amp including the phone as well but it will be delivered later as Viren is still waiting for some parts to arrive. So I am thinking of this as an interim solution.
thnaks,
Mahiruha.

Yes you can use the pre amp section of the 705 as the phono stage and then use the pre out of the same to connect your Lyrita intigrated amp but in this case you have to adjust the volume level on the lyrita to a level where it doesn't distort and control the volume from your 705, otherwise if the lyrita has a by pass function then use that as the power amp with the 705.

Hello Ashish,
thanks for the reply. But in this case what is not clear to me is which volume control to use. Common sense says since I am using the power amp section of the Lyrita then its volume control should be used. To be honest its a complete gray area to me. I hope there isn't much scope for a major damage in this trial and error process.
Thnaks.

Hello Ashish,
thanks for the reply. But in this case what is not clear to me is which volume control to use. Common sense says since I am using the power amp section of the Lyrita then its volume control should be used. To be honest its a complete gray area to me. I hope there isn't much scope for a major damage in this trial and error process.
Thnaks.

In this case you should use the volume control of the 705. To calibrate it better you can try this: put the volume control on the lyrita at the 12 o' clock position because at half level normally most amps perform at their peaks and there after they start distorting, and then try listning to any piece of music you are comfortable with and use the volume control on the 705 to adjust hi and low volume. These kind of experiments and your listining would be the best judge of the settings you require.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back