Can someone explain Difference between 1ch Driven and 2Ch Driven

manofx

Random Amplifier :
Rated Output Power (1kHz, 1ch driven) 125 W (8 ohms, 0.9% THD)
Rated Output Power (20Hz-20kHz, 2ch driven) 100 W (8 ohms, 0.06% THD)
Maximum Effective Output Power (1kHz, 1ch driven) 150 W (8 ohms, 10% THD)

Center Speaker :
Polk S30 (Recommended Amplifier Power Per Channel 20 watts → 125 watts)

1) First please explain what is 1CH and 2CH and max effective output power differences
2) Please tell me if this center speaker is suitable for the above mentioned Amplifier
if you provide me any source of information to learn this stuff too it would be helpful

Thank you

Rated Output Power (20Hz-20kHz, 2ch driven) 100 W (8 ohms, 0.06% THD)
The above is the only spec that you need to see. The amp you quoted is 100 W per channel, when only two channels are driven. If the amp has to power more channels simultaneously, then the power output per channel will come down.

Yes the center channel can be used with this amp. In fact, almost most all center channel speakers can be used with this amp.

1 Ch driven means when one channel (Left front) is connected to load or speaker and then readings are taken. Similarly 2 Ch driven means when Both Left and Right channels are connected to load/speakers for testing. Max power output is dynamic power. One should see continuous power rating in RNS which is actual.

The above is the only spec that you need to see. The amp you quoted is 100 W per channel, when only two channels are driven. If the amp has to power more channels simultaneously, then the power output per channel will come down.

Yes the center channel can be used with this amp. In fact, almost most all center channel speakers can be used with this amp.
If 100 W per channel when 2 Channel are driven .. how much it can drive each channel when all 5 speakers are connected ?

Does this means this amp is smaller than the speaker ability ?

Please find the power rating of Marantz SR7011 test bench result.

Please watch this video

If 100 W per channel when 2 Channel are driven .. how much it can drive each channel when all 5 speakers are connected ?

Does this means this amp is smaller than the speaker ability ?
In most cases, one can ignore the "Recommended Amplifier Power Per Channel 20 watts → 125 watts" rating of a speaker. What one could look at in a speaker is its frequency range, its sensitivity and its impedance.

An amp spec of 100 watts per channel two channel driven might come down to 60 watts per channel - 5 channels driven. But in a HT scenario, one should also remember that not all channels are driven to the same levels at all times. Also, lower frequencies are handled by the sub-woofer taking a big load of the receiver.

So, when you buy a receiver, how much power you need will depend on how big your room is and how loud you are going to play it. You could also see if the receiver has pre-outs to connect to a power amp in future if in case you find that the receiver is not outputting the power that you need.

My friend recently bought a Denon 1500h which is a 80w 2 channel receiver @ 8 Ohms. I have heard this receiver in his room which is quite big (20 ft x 20 ft) and it was playing 7.1 channels loud enough for him to enjoy his movies.

if you provide me any source of information to learn this stuff too it would be helpful

As mentioned above, Audioholics is a good site to begin with.

https://www.youtube.com/c/Audioholics/videos

Do specs matter ?

Last edited:
Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back