Can we make DIY HSU subwoofer?

Hi spirovios, yes its very right that better subs can be easily built here at a fraction of the cost of the famous sub brands. About 2 years back I started my DIY subs and after a year long time of learning and experimenting I completed my subs. Now after they were done I used to love the way they sounded but still some where in my head I had this feeling that may be hsu, svs sound much better than what I had built and I got this feeling after reading some good reviews about these brands,though I had never had a chance to demo hsu or svs. There is absolutely no doubt that svs and hsu make good subs they are just outstanding and the very best. About three months back a friend of mine from here Kirti rana managed to bring his svs cylindrical sub to my place because I my self wanted to buy that sub just by reading its reviews, so I asked Kirti for the favour of a demo at my place to which he agreed, a very big thanx to him. After hearing the svs sub what I found was that my subs sounded equally as good as this awesome sub and I was very much surprised and happy. I built my subs which have one 10inch long throw dual magnet driver which is actually a driver meant for car audio. As I am a designs engineer myself and I am good with a 3d designs software I was able to size out a sealed cabinet design for myself.so finally I dropped the idea to go for the svs sub and I am a happy owner of DIY subs. I think a lot of things can be done and currently I am working on a DIY stereo amp using the very best materials and I hope that it goes well too

Last edited:
Hi,
I have built Transmission Line sub-woofers with using 5.25" woofers and they go as low as 22Hz due to the quarter wavelength principles. They also have the advantage of neutralized Q and therefore a very flat impedance curve. Due to this advantage the amplifers do not over heat even when driven at high levels for a prolonged period. Also TL design sub-woofer the cone movement is very controlled because the compliance of the cone is balanced by the stifness of the cone material and the cone vibrations are easily controlled. Also the resonance of the woofer is taken care of by the neutralized Q of the speaker system. Add to this absence of any booms bass and a more balanced low frequency response. If convinced we can meet any time this week /next week as i also stay in Mumbai.

Hari, great work. Do post pictures of the sub and the details of the
drivers - are they locally available, pricing etc.

Thanks Hari, I will join you and may try building a DIY sub.Very thanks to DIY Sub owners & adding some tips.
Well if you can also add from where can we source materials,it will be helpful to others too.
even any local availability of Drivers(better one)&sub amps.

Hi spirovios, yes its very right that better subs can be easily built here at a fraction of the cost of the famous sub brands. About 2 years back I started my DIY subs and after a year long time of learning and experimenting I completed my subs. Now after they were done I used to love the way they sounded but still some where in my head I had this feeling that may be hsu, svs sound much better than what I had built and I got this feeling after reading some good reviews about these brands,though I had never had a chance to demo hsu or svs. There is absolutely no doubt that svs and hsu make good subs they are just outstanding and the very best. About three months back a friend of mine from here Kirti rana managed to bring his svs cylindrical sub to my place because I my self wanted to buy that sub just by reading its reviews, so I asked Kirti for the favour of a demo at my place to which he agreed, a very big thanx to him. After hearing the svs sub what I found was that my subs sounded equally as good as this awesome sub and I was very much surprised and happy. I built my subs which have one 10inch long throw dual magnet driver which is actually a driver meant for car audio. As I am a designs engineer myself and I am good with a 3d designs software I was able to size out a sealed cabinet design for myself.so finally I dropped the idea to go for the svs sub and I am a happy owner of DIY subs. I think a lot of things can be done and currently I am working on a DIY stereo amp using the very best materials and I hope that it goes well too

Thanks Acoustics for sharing your DIY Sealed sub. May you please post the picture of your sub? Also if you share some more details of how you built it.

Last edited:
@Hari Iyer & Accoustics. Very happy to hear your efforts. Kindly share pics for our knowledge.

@Hari Iyer amazed to hear that you are able to derive bass output as low as 21 Hz from 5.25"woofers. Could you share how many drivers you have used, what amp are you driving them with and details of construction?

@Spirovious, we are running a group buy of GR Research speakers and we are also deliberating on a sub. Check out the the thread by clicking on my signature.

Received email from HSU abt 10' Driver.Price of VTF-1 driver is $90.
So total price of Driver + Amp is 90 + 200 = $290
Shipping within US is $45 ($20+25).
US cost of HSU Sub kit is $335.

rythmik driver and servo combo costs $499 OR higher(price w/o shipping)
http://www.rythmikaudio.com/products2.html

Yes driver is larger(12in) than VTF-1.

Last edited:
Spend the same money as you would if you buy HSU in India but do DIY with Rythmik or TC sounds. The product will dance circles around any HSU two steps above the VTF-1.

Even this is a very good kit for music (Got the info from a well-known speaker manufacturer).

SB Acoustics 10" Powered Subwoofer Kit: Madisound Speaker Store

Buy without the enclosure and save $$$$

How about this and this from GR. You could probably club your order along with the group buy that the Captain is running and could save a whole lot on the shipping...

P.S: If your budget is flexible, I think the best option would be to order the servo amp and the 12" driver from GR...

Last edited:
Hi spirovious did you ask hsu if they will send you the T/s parameters for the driver
I have the subwoofer designing software paid version I can help you if you manage to get the T/s parameters

I would like to tell you something there is an amp brand called crown they have an amp rated at about 600watts and it has built in hpf lpf ,a LCD display and has normal line level inputs
It costs around 19000 in india

Hi spirovious did you ask hsu if they will send you the T/s parameters for the driver
I have the subwoofer designing software paid version I can help you if you manage to get the T/s parameters

Thanks friend,
I didnt ask it as I just wanted to know whether they sell items separately.
Secondly I didnt know detailed technical requirement then.
Now I need to confirm if someone can get the things from US.
So I didnt follow up email,until I got all prices.
The amp & drivers are same used in VTF-1.

Vented Enclosures will tend to produce a boomy bass if you try to drive it low. Other option will be use a 4th order band-bass enclsoure, but again it will have a very sharp roll-off beyond the pass-band which will not suit all. The best will be use a acoustic suspension (sealed enclosure, Qtc=0.7) design where you might not get the best possible bass, but you will get a very good even roll-off (-6dB/octave) at the cut-off frequency, even phase response, group delay and better trainsent response. Vented enclsoure will suffer from rapid roll-off making it sound un-natural and very poor trainsent response. The sealed enclsoure may also sound boomy though better than the vented counterpart. The best option will be of-course TL but if the resonating frequency of the woofer is below 35Hz it will call for huge enclosures but will offer great advantages over all other design types.

Thanks anm & Captain Rajesh for bringing in my notice.
HSU refuded to give T/s parameters for the driver in last email.

sorry my mistake, I was confused at that point in time as to costs and kits. Thanks for clarifying on my behalf.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back