Can you help to open this subwoofer please...

Naveenbnc

Hi all... I want to open the subwoofer. It came in a Yamaha Yht196 package.

I didn't find any screws. Please see the attached pics. I tried to pull out the cloth. And also tried to pull out the frame. In both cases, it is not opening.

Is it a snap fit ??? Should I apply more force?? Which one should I try ?? The cloth or the frame ??

Any suggestions please... Screenshot_2018-06-10-13-31-02-690_com.miui.gallery.pngScreenshot_2018-06-10-13-30-38-842_com.miui.gallery.png

I think its same as Yht299 and for that we have to open the frame as the cloth is attached to frame. Just try to insert a flat face screwdriver in between the frame and sub outer shell, it should be snap fit.

Hope you know what you are doing. A mismatch of drivers can strain the amplifier. What driver are you replacing it with?

I would suggest instead of doing R&D sell it for some good price and go-ahead with something new with 10+inch sub before it gets damaged while removing.Moreover i dont see the possibilities that after upgrade with same size driver you will be satisfied with performance for its same size driver and same cabinet.
Fat/Slim chance IMO.
Anyways iam not discouraging.
Atb.

You are right tuff... The amp is made by our FM Aniket. So i asked him to suggest a driver. So he gave a driver suggestion. Hope it will be safe...

I would suggest instead of doing R&D sell it for some good price and go-ahead with something new with 10+inch sub before it gets damaged while removing.Moreover i dont see the possibilities that after upgrade with same size driver you will be satisfied with performance for its same size driver and same cabinet.
Fat/Slim chance IMO.
Atb.
Hey Kalyan, I'm just trying it for a little diy fun. If it doesn't work, il just leave it. I already have a 12inch sub.

Fat/Slim chance IMO.
Atb.

Another interesting point I'm wondering...
(This sub doesn't give any bass, and it is confirmed by many users of yht196)

But there are many 2.1 & 5.1 speaker models in the budget of 4 to 10k, like creative, sony, f&d etc. They give a great bass for their "budget" and size.

Long back, I used to have F&D F700u. It has a 5" bass driver, but gives a nice room filling bass.

So i taught, let me give a try and see if I succeed. I know many factors like cabinet design etc etc are important. Just I'm trying for fun.

Another interesting point I'm wondering...
(This sub doesn't give any bass, and it is confirmed by many users of yht196)

But there are many 2.1 & 5.1 speaker models in the budget of 4 to 10k, like creative, sony, f&d etc. They give a great bass for their "budget" and size.

Long back, I used to have F&D F700u. It has a 5" bass driver, but gives a nice room filling bass.

So i taught, let me give a try and see if I succeed. I know many factors like cabinet design etc etc are important. Just I'm trying for fun.

Go Ahead and enjoy the DIY fun... DOnt worry for the mistakes. Once you have made up your mind.... Follow it.

Finally i opened it guys...its the frame i showed in the above pics. Basically its a snap fit, but it is glued permanently. We have to apply force and break the glue. I taught the frame is going to break. somehow I'm lucky

Hi Guys, i changed the driver and it's a huge success :D:D:D

I started this with zero expectations, and I'm prepared to scrap everything if it doesn't work. But to my surprise, the sub started giving good bass. Earlier, with original driver, i could feel very very little air movement at the port. But after changing the driver there is a lot of air movement, and that too, with good force.

The amount of bass simply exceeded my expectations. The bass doesn't sound precise, tight, and punchy. But it is not good to conclude without doing any trails on sub placement in the room.
It
Its almost like i got a sub with less than 2k.

I started this with zero expectations, and I'm prepared to scrap everything if it doesn't work. But to my surprise, the sub started giving good bass. Earlier, with original driver, i could feel very very little air movement at the port. But after changing the driver there is a lot of air movement, and that too, with good force.

The amount of bass simply exceeded my expectations. The bass doesn't sound precise, tight, and punchy. But it is not good to conclude without doing any trails on sub placement in the room.
It
Great.
Good that you are satisfied.
Started tasting DIY fun :cool:

It
Congrats,
Why don't you convert it to 2.1 system.....

I already have a 12 inch sub and bookshelfs. This one i tried only for fun. Now I can use this as a second sub. If the sound signature matches.

It
Congrats...
it will be good if you post a pic of your DIY attempt...

Ya...I wish I could have done that... Actually the courier was delayed and I received the driver after 10 days. At 8pm i have an office meeting. I reached home at 7.30. I could have done it leisurely after the meeting.

But i couldn't wait. So replaced the driver, added some foam, and tested ....all within half an hour.:p:p:p.
Couldn't take the pictures.

Guys.. i have a question. The cables inside the sub, from the rear terminals to the driver are too thin. (Not even half the thickness of amazon basics speaker cable)

Should I replace the inbuilt cable with a good one ???

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back