Can't get proper surround output from Vu Premium Android TV using ARC

gourav

Hello friends. I finally connected my surround speakers today. I was really excited about enjoying some 5.1 content on my TV. But after connecting, when I tried playing some stuff, I saw that sounds meant for surround channel speakers were coming from the front speaker as well. Front channel was just front, but surround channels were front+surround.

I have a Vu Premium Android TV, 50", bought in 2019. The TV has HDMI ARC port using which the AVR is connected to the TV. The TV has only 3 options in sound mode, PCM, DD, & DD+. I tried all three and same result. I tried using KODI, as well as VLC player, didn't make any difference.

To ensure that the problem was with the TV and not the AVR settings, I connected my Intel NUC to the AVR and played the same content. It played in proper surround, meaning surround channel sounds came out of only the surround speakers. So no issues with the AVR or its settings.

There is no passthrough option on this TV, or at least, not one that I've been able to locate. Is anyone else using this TV? I'm really surprised and disappointed by this because the TV advertised support for Dolby Digital, DTX, etc. Is there anything I'm missing?

Hello friends. I finally connected my surround speakers today. I was really excited about enjoying some 5.1 content on my TV. But after connecting, when I tried playing some stuff, I saw that sounds meant for surround channel speakers were coming from the front speaker as well. Front channel was just front, but surround channels were front+surround.

I have a Vu Premium Android TV, 50", bought in 2019. The TV has HDMI ARC port using which the AVR is connected to the TV. The TV has only 3 options in sound mode, PCM, DD, & DD+. I tried all three and same result. I tried using KODI, as well as VLC player, didn't make any difference.

To ensure that the problem was with the TV and not the AVR settings, I connected my Intel NUC to the AVR and played the same content. It played in proper surround, meaning surround channel sounds came out of only the surround speakers. So no issues with the AVR or its settings.

There is no passthrough option on this TV, or at least, not one that I've been able to locate. Is anyone else using this TV? I'm really surprised and disappointed by this because the TV advertised support for Dolby Digital, DTX, etc. Is there anything I'm missing?
In sound menu you usually have a system output and surround output. System output is sometimes defaulted. Try changing that to surround output.

I have Vu 65" Pixelite HDR, running Opera TV OS but not Android. So not sure if the menu interface is exactly the same(doesn't matter to me much) but lets give it a try.

With the current setup(Sound is sourced from TV HDMI ARC port to AVR ):

1) What does the AVR show the actual Sound source as under its menu/display ? Stereo/DD/DD+/Bitstream ?
=> This is important to understand so as to know whether TV is performing the decoding of sound( into DD/DD+) or just passing it through as Bitstream/RAW to AVR. It is configured on the TV Sound menu. Ideally, it should be set as RAW/Bitstream so as to let the AVR do what its good at.

2) Under TV Sound menu->Are Speakers set to ARC ? Is TV just sending Stereo sound which AVR might just be upmixing it to DD/DD+ hence overlap of surround sounds ?

3) What is Digital Audio Out set as on your TV ? Are PCM, DD, & DD+ the only options ? Ideally you should have something like Bitstream/RAW as well(I have RAW as one of the options on my TV)

Note: I vaguely remember having not seen the RAW option under Digital Audio Out when I was just using TV speakers for Stereo sound. But then, when I connected my first AVR to my TV at that time, I recall playing with those options and a RESET of Sound parameters enabled RAW option to appear. This might most likely be the devil in your case too. Fingers crossed:cool:

In sound menu you usually have a system output and surround output. System output is sometimes defaulted. Try changing that to surround output.
Sadly there's no surround option, only PCM, DD, and DD+

1) What does the AVR show the actual Sound source as under its menu/display ? Stereo/DD/DD+/Bitstream ?
=> This is important to understand so as to know whether TV is performing the decoding of sound( into DD/DD+) or just passing it through as Bitstream/RAW to AVR. It is configured on the TV Sound menu. Ideally, it should be set as RAW/Bitstream so as to let the AVR do what its good at.

2) Under TV Sound menu->Are Speakers set to ARC ? Is TV just sending Stereo sound which AVR might just be upmixing it to DD/DD+ hence overlap of surround sounds ?

3) What is Digital Audio Out set as on your TV ? Are PCM, DD, & DD+ the only options ? Ideally you should have something like Bitstream/RAW as well(I have RAW as one of the options on my TV)

Note: I vaguely remember having not seen the RAW option under Digital Audio Out when I was just using TV speakers for Stereo sound. But then, when I connected my first AVR to my TV at that time, I recall playing with those options and a RESET of Sound parameters enabled RAW option to appear. This might most likely be the devil in your case too. Fingers crossed:cool:
1. My AVR doesn't show anything, or at least, I don't know where to look. It's not there on the AVR screen at least.

2. The sound output is set to ARC, yes. The only other option is TV speakers, so if it's not set to ARC, then the sound doesn't go to the AVR at all.

3. The TV doesn't have an option called bitstream/raw. I have tried setting it in all the three available modes, but they give the same result.

There's a small chance that the issue was because of the cable I was using. Yesterday I discovered that I was not getting 4k 60Hz from the AVR because of my cable, which only supports 4k 30Hz. The cable was from Belkin and was bought only last year, so I had assumed it would be a decent cable. Unfortunately not. I have now ordered a Bluerigger Ultra cable with support for 8k 60Hz. This should arrive tomorrow. Will update if that changes anything.

Sadly there's no surround option, only PCM, DD, and DD+

1. My AVR doesn't show anything, or at least, I don't know where to look. It's not there on the AVR screen at least.

2. The sound output is set to ARC, yes. The only other option is TV speakers, so if it's not set to ARC, then the sound doesn't go to the AVR at all.

3. The TV doesn't have an option called bitstream/raw. I have tried setting it in all the three available modes, but they give the same result.

There's a small chance that the issue was because of the cable I was using. Yesterday I discovered that I was not getting 4k 60Hz from the AVR because of my cable, which only supports 4k 30Hz. The cable was from Belkin and was bought only last year, so I had assumed it would be a decent cable. Unfortunately not. I have now ordered a Bluerigger Ultra cable with support for 8k 60Hz. This should arrive tomorrow. Will update if that changes anything.

Wait. Did you connect the source (For eg FireTV 4K) to AVR HDMI port? In that case, AVR would do the decoding of the formats and it would only send visuals to TV. No need of ARC port in this case as TV is getting only the video content. If the source is connected to TV, then ARC comes into play as TV would send the audio to AVR over HDMI.

In case of ARC and TV settings to DD/DD+, I guess the TV does the decoding (If signal for eg is PCM/DTS etc) and then sends it over to AVR either as DD/LPCM etc. IN this case chances of TV screwing up decoding are high.

1. On your AVR remote, there is no Info button sort off(that kind of displays information on your TV, the Audio and Video formats currently being played by you) ? Doesn't the AVR front digital display show which sound format is being played ? Try exploring this when you get chance as it gives vital information to troubleshoot.
2. OK
3. Did you try the tip I mentioned in my note ? i.e. for the Sound Mode you chose(Theater, Standard, Music, Late night....etc), try RESET option available within that mode at the bottom of the sound parameters. Remove the HDMI cable when you try this and see if RAW option appears under Digital Audio Out. This is to eliminate the cable compatibility and handshake issues that your existing cable might be causing.

Wait. Did you connect the source (For eg FireTV 4K) to AVR HDMI port? In that case, AVR would do the decoding of the formats and it would only send visuals to TV. No need of ARC port in this case as TV is getting only the video content. If the source is connected to TV, then ARC comes into play as TV would send the audio to AVR over HDMI.

In case of ARC and TV settings to DD/DD+, I guess the TV does the decoding (If signal for eg is PCM/DTS etc) and then sends it over to AVR either as DD/LPCM etc. IN this case chances of TV screwing up decoding are high.
The TV is (or was) the source in my case. Was playing through Kodi/Prime/Netflix on the TV itself. Now I am using Raspberry Pi with LibreELEC to play my content. It is connected directly to the AVR and it's working fine now. I still want to figure out the answer though.

3. Did you try the tip I mentioned in my note ? i.e. for the Sound Mode you chose(Theater, Standard, Music, Late night....etc), try RESET option available within that mode at the bottom of the sound parameters. Remove the HDMI cable when you try this and see if RAW option appears under Digital Audio Out. This is to eliminate the cable compatibility and handshake issues that your existing cable might be causing.
Yes, I tried your tip, including removing the HDMI cable, which automatically disables the ARC option. The only thing left to try is to replace the cable, which I'll try tomorrow. I don't have much hopes though as I have already tried an optical cable and that didn't work either.

I have already tried an optical cable and that didn't work either.
This was my next suggestion that I was about to recommend(return audio can be transmitted either way ie HDMI ARC or Optical, which is identical), but since you have already tried it, I suspect something with the TV firmware isn't right. If the new cable doesn't make a difference, try updating the firmware(if it isn't already) or do a full reset(with new HDMI cable) if its not too painful for you to revert your configured settings back.

Do you have a remote for the AVR? Try muting the front channel and play the content for sometime and the next time just let it run default.

The cable change also didn't help. It seems my TV just doesn't have this capability.

Anyway, I have now moved to Raspberry Pi with LibreELEC for local streaming. I will also be trying LineageOS on it over the weekend so I can move my streaming to it as well. If it doesn't work, then I'll get a Fire stick when budget permits.

The cable change also didn't help. It seems my TV just doesn't have this capability.

Anyway, I have now moved to Raspberry Pi with LibreELEC for local streaming. I will also be trying LineageOS on it over the weekend so I can move my streaming to it as well. If it doesn't work, then I'll get a Fire stick when budget permits.
Sorry to hear, but any TV with HDMI ARC will have inbuilt capability to sent return AUDIO not just decoded audio(by TV) but encoded RAW audio too.

Check manufacturers TV manual to see return audio options. This is so nice feature to give it up so soon. If I were you, I would definitely try firmware upgrade and whole reset option. What’s your VU TV Model no ?

Sorry to hear, but any TV with HDMI ARC will have inbuilt capability to sent return AUDIO not just decoded audio(by TV) but encoded RAW audio too.

Check manufacturers TV manual to see return audio options. This is so nice feature to give it up so soon. If I were you, I would definitely try firmware upgrade and whole reset option. What’s your VU TV Model no ?

Vu has completely removed the listing of Vu Premium Android TVs from its website. I can't even find the user manual for the TV now. These are the problems one faces for dealing with smaller companies like these. There's no legacy section or discontinued products listing, which is always there on LG/Samsung websites. I can't even find the manual on third party websites like manualslib.

I am quite surprised that the option is not there, but I have looked through every setting menu that exists, and there aren't all that many. There's no firmware upgrade or android update available for this TV. Vu is practically not supporting this TV anymore, even though it's still in official 3-year extended warranty that I got with the TV.

I am unwilling to a do full reset right now. Might try in a few days once things settle down with my Raspberry Pi setup. Don't want to lose my Kodi library yet and not getting the time for export, backup, setup again routine. Since things are working fine with LibreELEC, I'm not too worried about not having this feature.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back