Car Stereo / Speakers for home audio setup?

mark2gp

Hi,
Long term member, first post ever.

ME: Am an avid music listener, especially classic rock and jazz. Have built up a decent collection of tapes(!), CD's, mp3's and FLACs over the past two decades. My audiophile history begins with desi Philips and imported Sony/Aiwa stereo systems to computer/htpc setups and now streaming from mobile/ local DNA servers. Current arsenal includes Creative and Altec Lansing 2.1s and use Genius powered bookshelves for active listening. :cool:

Having reignited my listening habits :) during these locked up times, was looking to go the DIY/assembled route for a better listening experience. I was contemplating getting a class D amp (Dayton / SMSL from US) to power bookshelf speakers (Pioneer/Mission). But the car stereo route seems much more powerful and capable alternative to the same (not to say less expensive.)

Am thinking of getting an smps to power a car stereo unit (looking at a Kenwood/Clarion aptX CD head unit from USA) and a 2.1 setup with car speakers for a 12x15 ft room. I see a lot of locally assembled desi systems along the same lines (but with cheaper components like soundboss, ibell etc.) and are more of the boombox variety.

Why not build a pair of bookshelves from component speakers or even a faux KEF with coaxials? :rolleyes:

Any insights/ advise/ warnings/ valid criticism would be much appreciated.

Hello Mark,

For a better listening experience stay away from Class D and car audio gear for Home Hifi use. you can easily get good class AB/A amplifier modules and make your own hifi amp. For the speakers i would suggest to go with Dayton audio/ Tymphany drivers rather than car audio speakers.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back