CD player for sub-25k

Hi ,

Bass Treble is located in Coimbatore , you can contact Dev @ 09894018283 , I dont know the full address , just give him a call or drop a message and yes he authorized for Marantz Products.

Mohan.

Before I emailed BassT a cheque, I called the two Regional Managers for Distie Refex Pro in Chennai (Mr. Aldrin & Ms. Corina) and confirmed that BassTreble is Auth. Dealer. They assured me that I would get service from Marantz auth. service centre with original parts only (2 yrs warranty) ... in worst case scenario of a problem.

Regards

Like I said before, this is one stand out player. Interested to hear your reviewers after your ears get adjusted to the new sound and also your music tasted. As much as people have fallen for universal players including Oppo, nothing beats a standalone CD player. My Cary is another testament to that.

Mine should arrive tomorrow, then I'll have the first listen on Sunday. Busy building my AV rack tomorrow.

Can't wait ... :)

Cheers

consider pioneer pd-d6-s with bill 27k in bangalore
has SACD /MP3/WMA playback
Dual BurrBrown DAC 24bit/192khz ,
Toroidal transformer powered
The Twin Burr Brown D/A Converters runs to guarantee the most subtle music detail reproduction and delivers enhanced linearity, dynamic range and distortion response.

The Legato Link PRO serves to ensure minimum phase shift across the entire audible frequency band (It uses a smoother digital filter, so that a more natural sound can be achieved).

The SACD DSD single-chip decoding of the PD-D6 reduces the digital circuitry signal path length, creating brilliant noise-free sound. An extremely stable, high performance Low-Jitter crystal oscillator circuit serves as a highly precise master clock for sound reproduction.

PriceLess Electronics

What I found with Best CD players is that they have either Wolfson or Cirus DAC.
Burrbrowns are commonly used by AVR/DVDp for surround sounds.

What I found with Best CD players is that they have either Wolfson or Cirus DAC.

Shanling also gets a fair usage share. Compares relatively well with Wolfson and is considered a bit better than Burr Brown.

YOu will be very happy. Its one classic player. It is rated better than most Denon's and thats a huge complement as Denon's play very strongly in this price category. The key is the components thats used in these players as well as the option to disable non-used circuits like optical that enhance its quality. I spoke to a friend of mine in Germany who owns this. He bought it 2 yrs ago mostly as a stop gap as he wanted and SA 15 but has decided to stick with this and is not looking to upgrade anytime soon.

Yes, it is a good player and I am happy with with the purchase. Well rounded fullsome sound unlike many "thin" sounding players I have heard. Good detail in sound. I will post a more complete review by next week.

cheers and thanks.

Hi Gobble,

Congrats on your purchase of Marantz 6002 CDP. It's a good one as I auditioned it some time back. Just two advices: do not put anything on top of the CDP, keep it by itself on a stable and vibration-free base. It will work the best that way, as much isolated as possible. Other thing is : give it some burn-in time. Usually these things need 50 to 100 hours to fully burn-in. In some cases it can be even more than that. Sound will gradually become better. Another thing is that in most cases with amps and CDPs, they perform better when warmed up a bit (from 5 to 30 mins power on).

Enjoy your 2-channel music.

Hi Gobble,

Congrats on your purchase of Marantz 6002 CDP. It's a good one as I auditioned it some time back. Just two advices: do not put anything on top of the CDP, keep it by itself on a stable and vibration-free base. It will work the best that way, as much isolated as possible. Other thing is : give it some burn-in time. Usually these things need 50 to 100 hours to fully burn-in. In some cases it can be even more than that. Sound will gradually become better. Another thing is that in most cases with amps and CDPs, they perform better when warmed up a bit (from 5 to 30 mins power on).

Enjoy your 2-channel music.

Thanks.
An audiophile advised me to put a glass plate and a weight like granite block on it to couple it more solidly with the rack.

What do you make of this advice?

TIA
Cheers

Last edited:
bett

An audiophile advised me to put a glass plate and a weight like granite block on it to couple it more solidly with the rack.

What do you make of this advice?

TIA
Cheers

Hi,
Congrats on the purchase.
Its a good cdp but like most modern gear in a budget the case work is average. Dont over do the weight on it or u will bend the top. A granite block of the size of the cdp will weigh quite a bit. Hope ur rack is suitable. A friend went over the top putting weight and finally realised that the tray didn't open and shut as it should in his Electrocompaniet CDP which IMO is a more solid cdp than a marantz 6002.

I know people swear by this and insist on putting a brick, large show piece, some even put a large potted plant(in case its on the top shelf) but i doubt all this will give u more weight in the bass or better midrange activity as many claim.
Try it and see if there is a difference in sound.
Rgds

Last edited:
Hi,
Congrats on the purchase.
Its a good cdp but like most modern gear in a budget the case work is average. Dont over do the weight on it or u will bend the top. A granite block of the size of the cdp will weigh quite a bit. Hope ur rack is suitable. A friend went over the top putting weight and finally realised that the tray didn't open and shut as it should in his Electrocompaniet CDP which IMO is a more solid cdp than a marantz 6002.

I know people swear by this and insist on putting a brick, large show piece, some even put a large potted plant(in case its on the top shelf) but i doubt all this will give u more weight in the bass or better midrange activity as many claim.
Try it and see if there is a difference in sound.
Rgds

I was only planning on a 2 -3 kg max weight to test, not parking an Ashok Leyland :D

The smallest round marble slab used for making chappatis on top of the glass plate is what I have in mind.

Yes the CD tray is disappointingly flimsy, build could have been better. Sounds decent and wholesome though.

Regards

Last edited:
Hi Gobble,

I really do not know why people say that you have to put some weight on your CDP. Actually I have even seen people putting integrated amps on top of the CDP. May be they improve the sound, but I can tell you what will happen. Your transport will give in or may develop problems reading in data from CDs. That is because the cases are so light these days and if the transport happens to be right near the top and if you put an weight on top, the top sheet may bend in a little in the middle and it will affect the mechanical parts of the transport some way. This is something I have observed in my own eyes. So my advice is : you are better off not doing it. But I am not really an audiophile, only a music-lover.

My previous CDP which was bought 18-19 years ago was robust, and at times I put things on top of it, it really didn't matter (although I did not notice any difference in performance). But with todays light weight stuff, you better avoid doing such a thing.

I am happy that dinyaar also said something similar. He says he is always unhappy with his CDPs, and as a result he has changed/upgraded/downgraded(?) to many CDPs. So if he is not sure that there would be an appreciable change in performance, that's proof enough for me.

Last edited:
Thanks Asit. I am not "sold" on the idea yet. I may just try it out with light weight some day. I have the same fears about bending and mechanical complications like you mentioned. Hence the idea of a 17" glass plate to distribute the weight.

Cheers

Hey Gobble,
U said Granite slab and hence i told u to be careful. Granite slab cut to the size of the cdp is very heavy, a granite tile (lesser in thickness) may be close to the weight u mentioned.
No harm in trying it. In the last 2 decades i have tried all this and few things made a difference, most didn't.
I have a lot of carpentry tools and have always been pretty handy with them so i restrict my DIY to making/modifying stands.racks etc for myself unlike people like soundsgreat or anilkumar or kaushik who are the DIY kings.

Rgds

Hey Gobble,
U said Granite slab and hence i told u to be careful. Granite slab cut to the size of the cdp is very heavy, a granite tile (lesser in thickness) may be close to the weight u mentioned.
Rgds

Oh my bad! Thanks for the ideas all along.

cheers

If memory serves, Moon players from the highly respected Simaudio use Burr Brown chips. So do many DAC manufacturers.. other than the chip, it's also in the implementation. The chip alone costs only a few dollars.

Rega Apollo and CA Azur 540C use the exact same Wolfson chip, but they are about as similar as chalk and cheese.

While on the topic, Analog Devices makes some fine DAC chips too.

kaushik or gobble....can you confirm that the D6 is available for 27k in bangalore? and where it is available? at least on paper it seems like a pretty decent deal for 27k.

consider pioneer pd-d6-s with bill 27k in bangalore
has SACD /MP3/WMA playback
Dual BurrBrown DAC 24bit/192khz ,
Toroidal transformer powered
The Twin Burr Brown D/A Converters runs to guarantee the most subtle music detail reproduction and delivers enhanced linearity, dynamic range and distortion response.

The Legato Link PRO serves to ensure minimum phase shift across the entire audible frequency band (It uses a smoother digital filter, so that a more natural sound can be achieved).

The SACD DSD single-chip decoding of the PD-D6 reduces the digital circuitry signal path length, creating brilliant noise-free sound. An extremely stable, high performance Low-Jitter crystal oscillator circuit serves as a highly precise master clock for sound reproduction.

PriceLess Electronics

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back