CD Player - for Usher/Denon setup

Thanks ROC,Rikhav and Prem
At my age moving to PC based audio would need efforts which Im disinclined to make at this stage.Laptop+USB+DAC is the farthest that I can go but Im not sure how far it will go vis a vis CD player(or transport+DAC) and also the added burden of dumping 600 odd CDs in hard disc.
If transports are really critical then the Line Magnetic 515 CD player may be a good option considering it has digital USB input but it exceeds my budget to quite an extent.(Based on my experience of listening to Ayon CD 2s Im patirtal to tube based DAC/CD as they soften some carelessly compressed mass market CD masterings to some extent.)
cheers

A good transport is equally important. Do not skimp on it. I noticed a gigantic difference between an ayon CD player and a dedicated CD transport that I use now.
Does it mean comparing the ayon and AP used as transports with the AMR?
cheers

My Philips DVP3356 is used with the digital coax out into the PM6005 coax in.In order to step up I was evaluating a better quality midrange CDP with coax out under the assumption that it will sound better than Philips DVP 3356. Actually started my quest searching for (BT playability+CDP-SACD,CD+BD,DVD+Multiformat+RF radio tuner+Digital & analog) i/o's). Fell flat on my face after reading on this forums and other forums that this may not be possible and may be possible with 2 boxes. Hence dropped the requirements.

As mentioned in this thread the Oppo BD105 shows up as a choice as it is closest to a one box solution.However since i dont have video usage ....end up paying for what i dont need.

Marantz : Evaluating SA8005 and CD6005 as its easier from operability.One remote can run both. SA8005 is approx 2X the price of CD6005 but has a USB Type B input to connect a PC.

Other Options : Maybe go for a $250-$500 player which...
1. has USB Type 2 input to connect a PC .This can be a hedge for CD formats changing constantly
2. has a digital coax and analog out's

In this case Cambridge (CA)can also work i think .Thanks to suggestions by venkatcr on the other options.I would request options for what can be locally sourced and auditioned for Pioneer and Sony or any other recommendations.

Hi
I got my denon CD player's lens cleaned recently and its performance has improved to a certain extent.I also used the opportunity to try to connect my 30 yrs old technics tuner (the size of a CD player, lying unused) to the system . Of course it didnt work but accidently I discovered that placing the tuner on top of my CD player (with magic hexa vibrapads underneath the CD player) worked wonders for the sound.The top end glare has reduced to a large extent with bass also becoming tighter. So if you have a defective tuner or CD player lying around unused,put it on top of the working CD player and place anti vibration pads underneath the working CD player and HEAR the difference.
Cheers

Hi
Anyone using Rega apollo/Rega appolo R CD player in their system?An unopened piece may be available and rega seems to have the analogue kind of sound that I tend to favor.Any disc loading/reading issues?
cheers

Hi
Been listening to the Metrum Octave Mk2 DAC .Lack of suitable transport forced me to pull out my abandoned Pioneer DVD player as use it as a transport.
VERY RELAXED AND A RHYTHMIC FLOW TO THE MUSIC WITH SPOT ON TIMING.
cheers.

Hi
Been listening to the Metrum Octave Mk2 DAC .Lack of suitable transport forced me to pull out my abandoned Pioneer DVD player as use it as a transport.
VERY RELAXED AND A RHYTHMIC FLOW TO THE MUSIC WITH SPOT ON TIMING.
cheers.

I recently heard a Sony BDP-S380 bluray player used as transport. Sounds very, very good. Even the analog output of this player did something like 80-85% of what it did via the DAC.

Did extensive comparisons and I liked:

the Sony BDP-S380 > to DAC via digital coax > integrated amp

much more than:

his music PC running JPlay > to DAC via USB > integrated amp.

I now seriously think low-priced bluray players are a viable alternative to dedicated CDPs.

Hi jls001

I am seriously thinking of a OPPO 105 and see if it's power supply and 2 ch output stage be modded

Hi Prem,
The Oppo 105 is already optimised from factory for two-channel audio. But I think there are quite a few boutique mod studios that almost exclusively do Oppos.

JLTi in Australia is one such mod shop. He had a very long running thread on diyaudio where he proposed some revolutionary mod to audio DACs.

Of course Modwright is another more famous name.

One can buy and ship it straight to them for different levels of mods.

Or look for an old Sonic Frontier transport. Will be sub $1K and will handily beat most big name transports. I heard one last night. Impressive and fluid is the right word for this transport.

Great that you liked the Metrum
Thanks Prem
Considering that Metrum is supposed to be reasonably transport sensitive ,Im sure it will shine with a better transport.Nevertheless, NOS in some ways has the vinyl like timing and realism.
cheers

Hi Himadri

Yes it will shine with a better transport. Maybe you can also consider computer audio

Hi
Had a chance to try out the metrum vis a vis ayon cd 2s CD player ( as a dac) in an all Usher system consisting of Usher mini dancer 2 speakers ,Usher pre + power, VPI turntable etc at a friend's place.Marantz CD player cd 6004 was used as a transport in both the cases.
The metrum octave immediately jumped up a notch from my less transparent system (cosisting of denon pma2000 amp + usher mini dancer 1 speakers )and matched the mighty ayon CD player in immediacy/transparency in this set up. In the case of the ayon ,the tube output stage added the tube flavour which was absent in metrum.
The metrum seemed to punch above its category /class considering the price difference between the 2 units, as it seemed to be quite comfortable in the higher set up.
cheers

Hi,
I have used the Ayon 1sc for a while now (About 2 years) and its a good long term investment. Unlike other components cdp's have rather poor resale values and its best to buy something to keep for a long while. However I am not completely happy with the transport, its not quiet and smooth, nor does it read very well. The sound quality of the DAC is however another matter! Top notch to say the least. There is also flexibility for attaching other sources. The volume control is excellent.

Hi Himadri

Yes it will shine with a better transport. Maybe you can also consider computer audio
Prem's suggestion goaded me on and now my computer sounds better than my cd player and easily rival's the vinyl.
Dell inspiron with foobar and all cds ripped in wave through exact audio copy- audiocadabra dual headed usb cable- metrum octave - audio art i c -denon pma2000 ivr-jps labs biwire-usher mini dancer 1
Warmish,reasonably transparent,fluid like bit of tubes ,relaxed without any kind of fatigue.three cheers for make in india -audiocadabra which substantiially lowered the noise floor to expose and make my denon amp struggle to perform at its very best.
Cheers

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back