CD player upgrade

Wharfedale Diamond 12 Series

PbR

Hi,

I am planning to upgrade my system; first the CD player. I have Sony CDP XE-300 (bought in UK, along with Marantz PM57 amp and Tannoy M2 speakers).
I am looking at CA 640C v2 and NAD525BEE.
Which ever I choose, I will get the matching amp.

Any thoughts? What about mix & match - the NAD 325BEE + CA 640A v2?
Speakers for all the options??
Thanks

Anil

Hi,

I am planning to upgrade my system; first the CD player. I have Sony CDP XE-300 (bought in UK, along with Marantz PM57 amp and Tannoy M2 speakers).

Thanks

I currently own the Cambridge Audio 640c v2 and would strongly recommend you to go for it.

Neal

I am auditioning it by month end; what speakers go with the 64A/C??

Your choice of speakers would depend on the city you are located in?? Not all speaker brands are available in every city. Also are you looking for a standmounter or floorstanders? And what is your budget for the speakers??

PbR

The RS6 is out of stock in Chennai; I heard the RS8 (MRP:70k, can get for --63k) a few days ago. Sounded much better than the BR6s.

RS6 wait time is 6-8 weeks.

Waiting to head the Ikon6.

Ravi

Last edited:

cyrus

Audition the Focal JM Chorus 714V if available in your area. It should be available for 50K!

PbR

Could not find any India distributor/dealer on their website...

BTW, I also heard the Boston VR2/3; however this was a standalone listen.

MonitorTheAudio

Originally Posted by PbR
Hi,

Thanks

MonitorTheAudio -
Hey there...CA is a good option for cd player. Dont prefer NAD cd players as they have disk read issues. NAD Amp - nah...wont prefer that. they are very aggressive so u might to have to chose the speakers with lower sensitivity, like the wharfedales (arnd 86db). The Marantz PM 4001 is a good one for budget. Again its a preference on music. I run Marantz Cd 7300 and Denon PMA 700AE series with MA BR2...they sound amazing - for any music.
THe BR2's are great entry level speakers, but if ur wallet is big, go for the RS6's. I have heard them and u wont get any more neutral sound for the price. hope it helps

PbR

Thanks,

Am almost surely going in for the RSs. And the CD/Amp upgrade has been put off until I get time with the speakers.
I am not sure how much of SQ increase would come from CD/Amp upgrade (just replaced the laser on my Sony CD player two weeks ago).

Ravi

MonitorTheAudio

Hello - see, i wouldn't do that - buy the speakers and then the amp+cd player. Buying the amp is very important coz that decides what speakers wld match. there have been compatibilty issues in the past i have faced with Technics and Mission speakers. hence say so. I think pm 57 is a pretty good amp and had a laid back sound and the RS6 have a high sense level of 91 db which makes it easier to drive and gives a balance. i guess just think abt a good cd player to give a good start for the amp. remember - ur system is as good as the weakest part.

cheers
MtheAduio

PbR

True...after I bed down the speakers, the CA 640C v2 in next in line....
Thanks..