cd player with mp 3 compatiable

rajkr100

Hi all, I planning to buy the combo i.e. Cambridge audio 640av2.0 (amp.) + Cambridge audio 640cv2 (18k) + Mordaunt short avant 908i my problem is this does ca640cv2 play mp 3 also. Is there any other cd player which is suitable with ca640av2 with mp3 compatible under 20k or 22k.

Has any body here has this combo or listened this combo with ms908i is it o.k

Raj, the combo you mentioned is really good.

However, if you are looking at mp3 and wma compatibility, you should look into

1. Marantz CD6002
2. Pioneer PD-D6-J (SACD/ 2 DACs)

Pioneer would be value for money; it retails below 22k. But my personal choice is Marantz.

All the best.

Hi Unleash,

I am in the similar dilemna... just bought a pair of MA BR5. Looking at an amp and CD player - The Marantz CD 6002 plays MP3's as well but honestly does a pure CD player has better audio v/s a CD & MP3 player ?

Also any idea about the Roksan Kandy Liii Mk iii stero amp?

hi spy

its true that a dedicated CD Player which doesnt play MP3 is always better then a player which plays MP3 , in that regard i suggest you to try SA 7001 from Marantz ( SACD + CD ) , its EISA award winner and BEST PRODUCT OF THE YEAR 2007

happy listening
mohan

First of all, you picked a very nice pair of floorstanders. Congratulations!

Coming to the rest of the kit, I agree with Mohan. If you can afford, stick with the same brand; Marantz PM7001 + SA7001

Having said that, Roksan Kandy is a different league all together. It surely is more powerful and solidly built, but I find the sound over-exciting (strictly for my own taste)

If I may add, I'd say Marantz is for a person who enjoys Jazz&Blues or Classical where as Kandy is for someone who listen to Rock, Rap or HipHop.

Hope this helps!

...and hey, you can always use a cheap do-it-all DVD player from Philips for your lesser formats, what say?

Last edited:
Just throwing in my two cents...
I would suggest you do not consider mp3 playback capability as part of your purchasing criteria. Besides, the 640C-V2 you have mentioned does not play mp3s.

There are various reasons for this suggestion. First there is the problem of having to burn numerous CDs full of mp3 files -- you still have to swap CDs even if it is less frequent than Audio CDs -- compare this to using an iPod* and not ever having to get up from your seat while accessing all the music you own. Also, navigation tends to be awful in nearly all mp3-capable players I have seen. You cannot for example jump from File A in Folder X to File B in Folder Y smoothly - a series of slow maneuvers are needed. An iPod can always be added to your setup (unless you already have one or better) and costs just 10k for one with an 80GB capacity. Plus the advantage of being able to take a vast library of music with you wherever you go. Perhaps the most important reason though is that compressed music tends to sound awful on a revealing setup -- but with an iPod you can still store a vast amount of music in a lossless compression format and enjoy a high level of quality.

As unleash_me mentioned, players with a pure focus on playing CDs are your best bet. The Pioneer he mentioned has got a good (but not outstanding) review in the June 2007 issue of Hi-Fi World magazine, UK. I did not realise it was available here and at such a good price. Personally I have my eyes on the Marantz CD-6002 or Cambridge 640C V2. I have not heard the Pioneer but with its SACD capability it seems like an excellent candidate as well. You cannot go wrong with any of these three.

The Marantz 7001, also a SACD player, costs about 40k+ so it is in a different price range.

If you do want to add a low-end do-it-all player to your setup later on, do consider the Cambridge Audio DVD89 universal player, the Denon 1940 or the Pioneer DV-600AV. They do just about every format short of high-definition video. But they will perform poorly (relatively speaking) as far as Audio CDs are concerned.

[* - I have mentioned iPod but I do not wish to sound like a proponent of this product alone, but rather any kind of portable music player similar in function from Archos, Creative, etc.]

Last edited:
There are various reasons for this suggestion. First there is the problem of having to burn numerous CDs full of mp3 files -- you still have to swap CDs even if it is less frequent than Audio CDs -- compare this to using an iPod* and not ever having to get up from your seat while accessing all the music you own. Also, navigation tends to be awful in nearly all mp3-capable players I have seen. You cannot for example jump from File A in Folder X to File B in Folder Y smoothly - a series of slow maneuvers are needed. An iPod can always be added to your setup (unless you already have one or better) and costs just 10k for one with an 80GB capacity. Plus the advantage of being able to take a vast library of music with you wherever you go. Perhaps the most important reason though is that compressed music tends to sound awful on a revealing setup -- but with an iPod you can still store a vast amount of music in a lossless compression format and enjoy a high level of quality.

I had never thought about CD players in this way. But this seems to be a very logical and good suggestion :)

If you do want to add a low-end do-it-all player to your setup later on, do consider the Cambridge Audio DVD89 universal player, the Denon 1940 or the Pioneer DV-600AV. They do just about every format short of high-definition video. But they will perform poorly (relatively speaking) as far as Audio CDs are concerned.

Do you know how Oppo players (980 and 981) fair? They have excellent reviews both for video and audio processing. And now they are available in India (though I dont know whether the famed Oppo support is available here).

And let me say this: Particleman, excellent post!

Regards,
Prasad.

do you know where to buy oppo dvd players in india, i am behind this for very long.

I had never thought about CD players in this way. But this seems to be a very logical and good suggestion :)

Do you know how Oppo players (980 and 981) fair? They have excellent reviews both for video and audio processing. And now they are available in India (though I dont know whether the famed Oppo support is available here).

Regards,
Prasad.

pnredkar, thanks for you info, they have confirmed they are official oppo dealer & has valid India warrant oppo products.

They were available at A2V, Juhu Bombay when I checked in June. Contact details can be got from Audio Vision India Pvt. Ltd..

They have recently launched in Bangalore also. The numbers from a recent ad in Bangalore times are 9845514021/9448265501.

Regards,
Prasad Redkar.

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for your inputs. All of your experience and advice will indeed be helpful in a nouveau hi-fi enthusiast like me to finally fine tune my system!! Trust me to wade through thousands of web reviews/What Hi-Fi/T3 Mags and forums, it hasn't been easy to pick the best system in my budget!

- I like my audio pure and simple hence I do agree that MP3 playback should not be No.1 priority. If required I can always connect a cheap DVD player to play MP3 and watch DVD movies. Over the years, as I can afford original CD's, I have consciously moved from burning MP3's (I think they are a pain to manage) and cheap Bangkok CDs :). My friends love MP3 - I can always tell them to get their Ipods and I can connect it to the amp. The musicality is way better with good original CDs.

- Now moving on to my quest - I am confused! - I like my music smooth and detailed with good vocal representation - largely listen to classic rock like Deep Purple, Led Zepp, Dire Straits, Whitesnake and a lot of Jazz (Miles Davis, Coltrane, etc). So what am I looking for? - The thing is that that one line of song you love (For ex: Chris Rea's deep baritone voice in Road To Hell), the plucking of the guitar (Whitesnake's Soldier of Fortune) or the sound of Sax can give you that tinnnyy moment of Nirvana and your investment becomes worth it! - That my dear friends is my dilemna - to achive that magic! :)

- Intially i was looking at an AV receiver (Marantz SR 5002 - avaliable in Singapore for approx INR 20K) to fulfill my needs however I realised that I will be using the system 90% for pure music hence decided to invest that money in a good quality stereo integrated amp (for the audiophile in me!). If at all required I can always put a DVD audio input to the amp and connect the DVD Video directly to the TV to watch movies.

- In the amp area - I kind of liked CA - 640 C (V2) which I feel will go well with my MA BR5 however the dealer suggested me to go for a CA 340 R (5.1 receiver). Not really sure if this will be a good option since its unlikely I will have a full HT setup atleast for another year or 2.

- I was suggested to go for Maratnz by the Monitor Audio dealer as it controls the brightness of the speakers and gives a smooth tamed audio. Hence my choice goes back to the PM 7001/CA 640A (V2). I read the Kandy reviews on What Hi-Fi hence was thinking of buying it from Singapore later this month (approx INR 31500). However, not sure if I can Bi-wire this amp to the BR5's. Incidentally Marantz has launched PM 6002 (Toroidal). Giving a link below with the comparison with PM 7001.

Home Theater by Marantz

So here are my OPTIONS for my system - please suggest what will work better as there's is no way I can audition these combos in Delhi. Do remember I need a) Biwiring terminals, b) Lots of inputs (CD/DVD/Worldspace/Tuner/Phono/Ipod) & c) Dont want to compromise on MUSIC.

Option - 1

Speakers: MA BR5
Amp: Marantz PM 7001
CD Player: Maratnz CD 6002 (new) Plays CD and MP3s (SA 7001 is out of my budget :()

Cost: Approx: 65,000 (Will buy this setup from Singapore)

Option - 2

Speakers: MA BR5
Amp: CA 640A (V2)
CD Player: CA 640C (V2)

Cost: Approx: 75,000 (Can get the CAs from Delhi itself on warranty)

Option - 3 (pushes my budget but will it be worth it?)

Speaker: MA BR5
Amp: Roksan Kandy Liii Mk iii OR CREEK EVO
CD Player: Cyrus CD 6s

Cost: Approx: 100,000 (Will buy this setup from Singapore)

In Option 3 Cyrus CD player is the most expensive- if required I can probably replace it with CA 640 C (V2) OR Maratntz CD 6002

(My listening room is approx 4.5 X 3.5 Meters)

Look forward to all your suggestions....

Thanks

IMHO Option 1 is the best for your needs.

However, Option 3 will be the future upgrade path which can incidently be your starting point also:cool:

Creek Evo along with Kandy and Cyrus, are you serious?!

Thanks Unleash -

Option 3 was Kandy (Approx 31K in Singapoer) OR Creeek Evo (Approx 24K)
while I am tempted to go for Kandy, guess will settle for PM 7001 (maybe the KI edition)... will update you guys on the final tally!

Regards,
Prasad.

Thanks for the kind words of appreciation. I have no idea about Oppo as I have never used one. When I bought my Cambridge DVD89 it was really cheap at 12k and had the same chipset (Mediatek) that the comparable Oppo DVD player shared (can't recall the model no.). I am told Oppo has a better picture but the CA has better sound. I am satisfied with my DVD89 but it is clearly a stop-gap product -- no way I would wish to have it long-term.

Thanks Unleash -

Option 3 was Kandy (Approx 31K in Singapoer) OR Creeek Evo (Approx 24K)
while I am tempted to go for Kandy, guess will settle for PM 7001 (maybe the KI edition)... will update you guys on the final tally!

Oh man, PM7001 KI is just awesome!

Roksan will sound more upfront while Marantz will be a warm presentation.

BTW, KI edition in India will set you back by around 50k apprx.

All the best!

Oh man, PM7001 KI is just awesome!

Roksan will sound more upfront while Marantz will be a warm presentation.

BTW, KI edition in India will set you back by around 50k apprx.

All the best!

Thanks Unleash - I was seriously in doubt between the Kandy and PM 7001 - But i guess the PM will suit MA BR5 better and the kind of music I like. Incidentally I will not pick up the KI from India - was thinking of picking it from Singapore (travelling later this month). Its for about 20 K (INR).... Its just sad to see prices in India more than double.. and guess what the Kandy is for about 31 K there!!

Thanks for the kind words of appreciation. I have no idea about Oppo as I have never used one. When I bought my Cambridge DVD89 it was really cheap at 12k and had the same chipset (Mediatek) that the comparable Oppo DVD player shared (can't recall the model no.). I am told Oppo has a better picture but the CA has better sound. I am satisfied with my DVD89 but it is clearly a stop-gap product -- no way I would wish to have it long-term.

I also expect the CA to be better with sound, more so with the 540D. However, the Oppo 980 has got good reviews for audio in various sites and magazines. The audio on Oppo 981 (the videophile Oppo) is also reported to be good. Due to this, I was interested in the opinion: Can I hit two birds (both audio and video) with one stone (either of the Oppo's).

BTW, the Mediatek decoder is known to perform significantly different based on the implementation. Too many tweakable parameters, I presume.

Regards,
Prasad.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back