CD tweaks

Hi Keith,

I tried this yesterday after reading the article. I used a Tamil film music cd"Kanthasamy" (i have been hearing this cd a lot recently-so any changes if at all would be noticed).

I first played the song on both my Sony NS78H and CADVD99.

Then i followed the steps and tried.

Frankly i didnt notice any difference in CADVD99. Usually it sounds warm when i play on this player.

But there was difference when i tried from the sony player. Earlier the low frequencies used to be quite boomy(on this cd). But after the tweak the boominess seemed to be reduced and the tracks sounded more crisp.

I listened to it a few more times in the night and later this morning just to make sure it is not a psychological feeling i listened to it again in higher volumes. And it sounded a little better but not a huge difference.

Anyone else tried this? Please do and share your thoughts.

Cheers
S

Hi Keith,

I tried this yesterday after reading the article. I used a Tamil film music cd"Kanthasamy" (i have been hearing this cd a lot recently-so any changes if at all would be noticed).

I first played the song on both my Sony NS78H and CADVD99.

Then i followed the steps and tried.

Frankly i didnt notice any difference in CADVD99. Usually it sounds warm when i play on this player.

But there was difference when i tried from the sony player. Earlier the low frequencies used to be quite boomy(on this cd). But after the tweak the boominess seemed to be reduced and the tracks sounded more crisp.

I listened to it a few more times in the night and later this morning just to make sure it is not a psychological feeling i listened to it again in higher volumes. And it sounded a little better but not a huge difference.

Anyone else tried this? Please do and share your thoughts.

Cheers
S

Wow! And I thought this was fairy dust all along.
Did you do all 3 tweaks or just some of these?
Did you implement just tweak #1 and check if it made a difference, then tweak #2 and so on?

i did tweak 1,2 & 3 and then tested the cd. May be today i can try step by step on another disk and check. I used a black marker and drew 4 lines instead of 6 as suggested. Will also check by blackening it completely.

Cheers
S

When I started reading it I thought it was extracted from a "convert your CD into Frisbee" article... :)

I'm not trying this no way! :)

Cheers

When I started reading it I thought it was extracted from a "convert your CD into Frisbee" article... :)

I'm not trying this no way! :)

Cheers

Why are ye fearful, O ye of little faith?

The loss [if there is gain with the tweak/s] is completely yours :lol:

it has the faint aroma of snake oil, does it not?

I would indeed get that smell that if someone tried to sell me something which claimed to work wonders. But in this case - my take would be DIY and then decide if it smells.

Case in point:
The first time Sushanth tried this - I'm sure it smelt of roses
The second time Sushanth tried this - I'm sure it smelt of fish :lol:

Well, what does one lose? Just as long as the affected CD does not sound [smell?] worse.

I would indeed get that smell that if someone tried to sell me something which claimed to work wonders. But in this case - my take would be DIY and then decide if it smells.

Case in point:
The first time Sushanth tried this - I'm sure it smelt of roses
The second time Sushanth tried this - I'm sure it smelt of fish :lol:

Well, what does one lose? Just as long as the affected CD does not sound [smell?] worse.

Well it definitely didnt sound worse so we can safely try...just that we would end up with a scrap looking cd

I came across an article quite some time ago where some small company in the US had 'invented' a mat that you place on top of the CD and then play the disc. I was hard pressed to come across that article later.

I see that it is available form a number of people now in prices varying from 1 US to 200 US ! This will save all the hassle of writing on the CD and all that.

SID MODEL 14 SOUND IMPROVEMENT DISC (Front load players) - elusivedisc
CD & DVD Mats
The Black Hole CD Mat

It might be worthwhile to get a thin and high quality black rubber sheet, cut it exactly to a CD size and try it out. Will cost less that 10 Rupees.

Cheers

I came across an article quite some time ago where some small company in the US had 'invented' a mat that you place on top of the CD and then play the disc. I was hard pressed to come across that article later.

I see that it is available form a number of people now in prices varying from 1 US to 200 US ! This will save all the hassle of writing on the CD and all that.

SID MODEL 14 SOUND IMPROVEMENT DISC (Front load players) - elusivedisc
CD & DVD Mats
The Black Hole CD Mat

It might be worthwhile to get a thin and high quality black rubber sheet, cut it exactly to a CD size and try it out. Will cost less that 10 Rupees.

Cheers

For a DIY homebrew see this

Hey, I tried some of this "snakeoil" and liked it. It actually works!!! Or so I think.

I found myself with a "CREED - Greatest Hits" CD in one hand and a black Camlin permanent marker in the other. One thing led to another and I tried tweak # 1 & 2. I figured tweak # 3 would not be applicable because the back of the CD was black in color out of the box. The opening of the first track - 'Torn" was boomy before and after the tweak the boom was gone. Tightened up. Dunno if it's psychological but if it is - it's good psychology. It just sounds better. Try it guys - there is nothing to lose except the cosmetics.

Here is a good one: :)

SoundStage! Max dB - The Amplifier: What’s Inside? What Makes a Difference? What’s Overlooked? Part One (09/1998)

"...have someone pinch the power cord near where it plugs into the amplifier while you are seated and listening to music. While you are listening to full-range music, have your assistant slide his fingers away from the amp (down the cord) while maintaining pressure on the cord. As the persons fingers slide down the cord, you will hear the sound change; it usually is not subtle either. What you will hear is less emphasis on the midrange and a sliding emphasis going deeper and deeper into the bass region as the squeezing fingers get farther and farther away from the amp." :eek:hyeah:

:lol::lol::lol:

Cheers

Here is a good one: :)

SoundStage! Max dB - The Amplifier: Whats Inside? What Makes a Difference? Whats Overlooked? Part One (09/1998)

"...have someone pinch the power cord near where it plugs into the amplifier while you are seated and listening to music. While you are listening to full-range music, have your assistant slide his fingers away from the amp (down the cord) while maintaining pressure on the cord. As the persons fingers slide down the cord, you will hear the sound change; it usually is not subtle either. What you will hear is less emphasis on the midrange and a sliding emphasis going deeper and deeper into the bass region as the squeezing fingers get farther and farther away from the amp." :eek:hyeah:

:lol::lol::lol:

Cheers

Related to what you posted, this is interesting too

See this & this

The Phillips DVD player that I have, had a mention of cleaning up the lenses using a cleaner Disc in the manual.
I tried this after around a year of use using again a philiips DVD cleaner CD. And depending upon your player use, it will make a difference in the sound.

The only other tweak I tried out was damping the player body with M-Seal on the inside (basically you have to add mass to the body and this added mass should have the capacity to absorb the vibrations of the body it is attached to. The best material for this are semisolids). I cannot vouch for the improvement but the sound seemed to smoothen a bit, less grain if you will.

A good tweak will be to upgrade the power supply. The effects can be verfied If you guys have inverter back up for the apartment. Try out by switching off the mains and driving your setup (amps and player) on inverter backup.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back