CD vs. COMPUTER

When you play the same track on a CD player/transport and (cd ripped track) on a Computer thru the same DAC, does it sound different or the same. The sound from CD is better or the Computer. Share your experience(s).

Sir,

It is all about [only] configuration.
What you use ?
How you use it ?

a]
Computer [hard ware & soft ware]

b]
Power supply / cooling

c]
Cables [usb etc.]

This imho is like a TT.
You need to set the TT UP ! Unless it is 'configured' in the right manner - the result from a Server / Computer will not be up to the mark.

All said.
I am a 100 % convert.
CD Player to Computer Audio person.

Either you need to use an mac mini with iTunes & Pure Music or go the Windows way with Win7 - 64 & J River 17 & JPlay [hardware is discussion for a different thread - so will not touch on that]

I prefer to use dB Power Amp to rip.
Flac - 0 Compression is what I use to rip.

Computer Rules !! :yahoo:

BTW - I got my sound card - last night.
RME - AES 32e -

I am still surprised at the ease with which a then-new soundcard floored my Cyrus CD player...

It was an RME card. Analogue out (although I used digital i/o too for various things). It was obsolescent then, hence a great bargain. I don't use it these days, but sometimes still wonder about returning to it from my current Firewire device.

One day, if I can afford it, I'll return to the RME family. I will be looking for analogue out, though. I won't go for digital-out to a separate DAC.

I'll go digital out if I can ever afford those Genelec DSP speakers, though!

I may beg to differ here;
Computer Audio is great ! For me at least.
I have been through a few CD Players in my time & now I do not possess a CD Player at all.
The Computer is just brilliant.

Sir, I think your downstream equipments that re-clocks, upsamples to DSD and of course the DAC ARE together brilliant (not to mention the rest of your brilliant chain).

BTW - I got my sound card - last night.
RME - AES 32e - Now I await the custom break out cable - should be here 7 to 10 days - USA [shipping].
RME: Hammerfall DSP AES-32

Oh, you finally bit the bullet:)

The AES32e is one costly mother and should show up in the sonics. I already have a feeling it will beat your current USB setup.

Are you awaiting for the AES/EBU breakout cable? 15-pin D to XLR? That can be easily clobbered together with parts available from Connectronics. For D type connectors I suggest a brand called FCI available at Connectronics. They have 9, 15, 25, etc pins. I bought a bunch of 9-pin D type for my RME. For XLR end, Neutrik is good. For cable, AES/EBU digital cable of 110 Ohms is to be used, NOT the usual balanced mic cable that some people carelessly use as AES/EBU cable.

bhagwan, didn't you have a really amazing pro-studio level DAC in the for-sale section a few months to a year ago? I forget the detail, and couldn't find the thread. I remember noticing that Abbey Road Studios uses them. Do you still have this? Are you using it?

bhagwan, didn't you have a really amazing pro-studio level DAC in the for-sale section a few months to a year ago? I forget the detail, and couldn't find the thread. I remember noticing that Abbey Road Studios uses them. Do you still have this? Are you using it?

http://www.hifivision.com/sale-owne...x-24-24bit-192khz-dac-cif-rs-175-k-india.html

Hello !

Yes;
This is top end DAC.

It is made in Denmark.
AX-24 is the model name.
My version is 24 bit 192 KHz

The link is given above.

It is still for sale.
I do believe it is a very very 'serious' DAC.

I just do not have any use for it - since I use dCS now.
But for the price - Rs. 175/- K this is a 'steal' !!
Almost as good as one can get.

Use a 'serious' sound card [from the computer - RME AES 32e or Lynx AES 16] & this DAC does the rest for you - master clock included.

:clapping:

Sorry that I'll never be in that price league. It is even more expensive than I remembered. Could daydream about something like this connected to a studio-quality headphone amp (I fancy a phonitor!) ... or even something like Stax headphones, at an absurd price, with their necessary, also absurd-price, amplifier.

Daydreams. But at least I can read about the experiences :)

Mind you, it may be just prejudice, but however much cash there was in the bank, an expensive USB cable would have to prove to me that it can do a more accurate job of carrying data of any form before I would try it for music.

Mind you, it may be just prejudice, but however much cash there was in the bank, an expensive USB cable would have to prove to me that it can do a more accurate job of carrying data of any form before I would try it for music.

I do not know if this OT;
But, I will pen my 2 cents here.

I have 5 USB Cables.
All 5 sound 'different'

This is from the Computer [Audio Transport] to Up Sampler.
They range between 100 US $'s to 2/-K US $'s
If the price is 'justified' is a 'different' matter;
However all the USB's I have sound different.
Personal Preferences will decide which one any person likes.

I can offer demo @ home if any one is interested.

Sorry that I'll never be in that price league. It is even more expensive than I remembered. Could daydream about something like this connected to a studio-quality headphone amp (I fancy a phonitor!) ... or even something like Stax headphones, at an absurd price, with their necessary, also absurd-price, amplifier.

Digital Audio Denmark (DAD) AX24 2 Channel D/A - 192 kHz | VintageKing.com

This seems to be the international price - I think.
Rs. 210/-K [I think]

Bhagwan, you have so much stuff I should just love to hear that, if I ever get the chance, cable quibbles will be the last thing on my mind :)

@bhagwan,

From this card : AES32

1. Are you planning analogue out ?

2. Digital out (spdif)

If you take the spdif out, where is the master clock situated ? I am guessing this card has a word clock input so that you can use an outboard masterclock.

How will the chain be if you use this card ?

@bhagwan,

From this card : AES32

1. Are you planning analogue out ?

2. Digital out (spdif)

If you take the spdif out, where is the master clock situated ? I am guessing this card has a word clock input so that you can use an outboard masterclock.

How will the chain be if you use this card ?

Sir,

You seem to have mixed up the card;

The Card I got is :-

RM - AES 32e
This is a 100 % pure Digital Card.
There is no analogue option on this card.

So to answer your questions :-

1] No

2] Yes on Dual AES/EBU + Word Clock

3] Word Clock is the dCS Master Clock - dCS: Scarlatti Master Clock

This is the card - I have got :-

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

The Chain is :-

Computer - J River M17 - RME - AES 32e - dCS Upsampler [Scarlatti] - dCS Master Clock [Scarlatti] - dCS DAC [Scarlatti] - Cadence Canasya.

Hope this clears things out !!

Why would I use an analogue out from a card ? I already have a DAC to use.... :sad:

@Bhagwan,

I was just curious ! Why would someone want to use an analogue out when you have something like the DCS in the chain? Knowing how adventurous you are, I was just curious. And I did not do enough research into the card

Doesnt the master clock not connect to the card directly (WC in and out) independent of the Up-sampler ?

@Bhagwan,
Doesnt the master clock not connect to the card directly (WC in and out) independent of the Up-sampler ?

The dCS Scarlatti Master Clock connects 3 things;

a] Computer - RME Sound Card

b] dCS Scarlatti - Up Sampler

c] dCS Scarlatti - DAC

All 3 will get a 'master' signal from dCS Scarlatti Clock into their Word Clock 'in' !
I do hope this clears all.
If you need to know anything else, please do feel free to ask, I will try my best to address any issues you need clarification on.....

:)

This is the actual card - box i.e.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Great...now you have removed the "USB" from the chain. I am awaiting your report.

As an aside, why did you not consider a unit like this instead of a computer ? It rips your cds automaically and outputs digital.

W4S Music Server 2TB (MS-2) - Music Server - DAC 2 Digital, High Definition Amplifiers, Stereo Pre Amp Audio Equip

Sir,

The USB is still in use.

The Break Out Cable was produced on Friday & will be shipped on Monday - USA Time. It will get here in 2 weeks.
So, I will connect it only there after.
Right now - USB - Siltech G7 is in use.

The Product you suggested - looks nice.
However, I do not know about it.
Is it good ?
How would you rate it ?
My Computer - as of now - I really like a lot.

@Bhagwan,

I have not heard this product. All I know is that it is made by Cullen circuits who are known for some really good gear. They are OEMs for some biggies out there. The founder used to be with PS audio many years back.

I was looking at the AES EBU standard on wiki.
AES EBU

Is there any benefit of using this standard over spdif ? Is there any history / research you have done about this which you may want to share ?

I saw the breakout cable. Doesnt these kind of cable need nonstandard connections on the receiver gear ? I understand pro gear comes with these kinds of inputs. Can you share your thoughts?

Last edited:
Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back