Ceiling options for dedicated listening room

Vivek Batra

Hi FMs

Excited to share that the strucuture of my new house is complete and finsihing work is going on. Need your help on the ceiling for my listening room.

Its a dedicated room of 18x14 feet, no windows, just concrete walls all around with a door (in the middle) ofcourse ;) . Since its in a basement so there is a lot of echo in this room. I hope that will be tamed with some carpet and furniture later on but have plans to do some kind of room treatment but not for now.

I am going to start with false ceiling work in the house. Even though I am not in favour of false ceiling but especially in listening room there are lots of beams etc, so no choice but to do the ceiling. Are there any special materials for listening rooms or it can be done like other rooms? Channel, net and then POP and then paint. I have heard about acoustic tiles etc but no experience with those. Or is there all together different kind of ceiling for listening rooms.

Please advice.

Thanks
Vivek

Ceilings with gypsum boards or t-grids will probably be better suited for easier maintenance in case you need to take a peek above the ceiling in future.

For gypsum, saint gobain boards are pretty good. A single 12mm 6' x 4' board will cost you around 500/-. Of course, this is mounted on a GI structure which costs extra. Per square feet rate (with material and labour) will be around 100/- -125/- if you get it done directly by someone without an interior decorator.

Ceilings with gypsum boards or t-grids will probably be better suited for easier maintenance in case you need to take a peek above the ceiling in future.

For gypsum, saint gobain boards are pretty good. A single 12mm 6' x 4' board will cost you around 500/-. Of course, this is mounted on a GI structure which costs extra. Per square feet rate (with material and labour) will be around 100/- -125/- if you get it done directly by someone without an interior decorator.
Thanks @Dwaipayan for the info. I have contacted a contractor. Lets see what he proposes.

For ceiling or walls? If we do it for ceiling, won't ot block access to the actual ceiling?
The insulation batts are typically placed on the metal structure and the boards are stuck with screws from the bottom. In a t-grid system, the tiles are placed above the grid. Either way, insulation will help slightly in areas where you want to suspend the ceiling speakers from. I have placed 2 x 2" thick 2'x4' rockwool slabs on top of each ceiling speaker cutout. This helps absorb the unwanted vibrations and prevents the bass from booming too much. Without any insulation, the entire hollow area between the concrete and the suspended ceiling acts as a passive amplifier and make the sound overwhelming. The batts can be slided around carefully if you ever need to access the actual ceiling above it.

Hi FMs

Excited to share that the strucuture of my new house is complete and finsihing work is going on. Need your help on the ceiling for my listening room.

Its a dedicated room of 18x14 feet, no windows, just concrete walls all around with a door (in the middle) ofcourse ;) . Since its in a basement so there is a lot of echo in this room. I hope that will be tamed with some carpet and furniture later on but have plans to do some kind of room treatment but not for now.

I am going to start with false ceiling work in the house. Even though I am not in favour of false ceiling but especially in listening room there are lots of beams etc, so no choice but to do the ceiling. Are there any special materials for listening rooms or it can be done like other rooms? Channel, net and then POP and then paint. I have heard about acoustic tiles etc but no experience with those. Or is there all together different kind of ceiling for listening rooms.

Please advice.

Thanks
Vivek
Armstrong has a couple of tile options for ceiling and walls I believe.

Wooden rafters , they look classy and will do 50-60% the job . After a while dedicated sound proofing solutions become an eye sore. Best thing to do would be to use wooden panels for entire room, and you can use insulation between panels and the dry wall. For cieling you could choose a panel pattern that is not linear and thereby reduces reflections.

Wooden rafters , they look classy and will do 50-60% the job . After a while dedicated sound proofing solutions become an eye sore. Best thing to do would be to use wooden panels for entire room, and you can use insulation between panels and the dry wall. For cieling you could choose a panel pattern that is not linear and thereby reduces reflections.
Thanks for the suggestions. My knowledge on the materials is very limited. Any reference images would help me if possible to share.

You didnt mention the ceiling height.

I built one using Anutone subtex tiles. They got the T-Grid as well as the acoustic tiles done. Use a black matte tile to avoid any reflection from the screen. The false ceiling is also useful for running wires and even for atmos speakers.

If you have more space, then us it for putting in real bass traps made with loose rockwool and covered with spandex in that space.

For concrete walls, the best is to make wall-in-wall with a sandwich of air in between. Else covering the surface with acoustic foam also helps to cut the echo.

Thick carpet helps, but in the end I had to use all four(bass traps, acoustic ceiling, foam and carpet)

Thanks for the suggestions. My knowledge on the materials is very limited. Any reference images would help me if possible to share.
Basically you can put traditional roof design elements in use , wood a natural insulator and rafters can work to contain reflections.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-01-20 at 17-54-33 wooden ceiling with rafters - Google Search.png
    Screenshot 2023-01-20 at 17-54-33 wooden ceiling with rafters - Google Search.png
    362.1 KB · Views: 32
  • Screenshot 2023-01-20 at 5.57.13 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-01-20 at 5.57.13 PM.png
    557.8 KB · Views: 31
Basically you can put traditional roof design elements in use , wood a natural insulator and rafters can work to contain reflections.
Hey
Thanks for making an effort to share the images. I love this design. Problem with my music room is too many beams in the ceiling that I need to hide or do the ceiling. But will see if I can do something with this kind of ceiling.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back