Center channel build

WT... It even dwarfs your front towers and probably better in SQ.

Try to give a separate amp and see how it out performs the paradigms

Last edited:

Yes the SQ is better. The clarity in highs really stands out.

Try to give a separate amp and see how it out performs the paradigms

I've got the XPA5 @200W / ch. Shouldn't that be fairly good for the speaker?

Is there some kind of a audio file available in the internet that produces the LF required for burn in? Let me study what Fs and Qts are:DThanks

A Trilok Gurtu CD on continous play will do. The picture shows how I do it.

This think really dwarfs the TV.
For now I'm going to enjoy this monster as & when I get time.:yahoo:

George, you need to get a pair of OB7 fronts and X-LS Encore rears to go with that center. ;)

Danny is offering a 15% discount if you jump in on the group buy.

Attachments

• Scan0001.jpg
    Scan0001.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 85
A Trilok Gurtu CD on continous play will do. The picture shows how I do it.

Thanks will look into it. And "how I do it"? What do you do buddy? That's an awful lot of drivers "burning in"!

George, you need to get a pair of OB7 fronts and X-LS Encore rears to go with that center. ;)

Danny is offering a 15% discount if you jump in on the group buy.

Yeah I know that'll be the best possible match with the M130X drivers. The thought did go through my head now and again. But I'm going easy on my expenses for music and HT, where I've been kinda trigger happy of late. So I think I'll make a rain check on my hifi upgrade spree. Would be hard though.:D

Thanks will look into it. And "how I do it"? What do you do buddy? That's an awful lot of drivers "burning in"!

George,

Please do look into the OB7 and X-Encore options. THey'll do HT and 2 channel audio extremely well.

Well if you notice what I had done there was hook up a CD player on repeat with some Percussion music (Andy Narell on Kettle drums etc..) and an old stereo amplifer (I think it was a Harman Kardon PM665) that put out about 100W rms. I hooked all the drivers in series parallel to get about 8 ohms per channel and let the system play for 3 days (8 hours a day).

Those were early days later I used a Function Generator with sine wave auto sweep and swept a tone from 50Hz to 100Hz over 2 hours and them amped it with a BGW 750 amplifer. It did the job faster. Be careful though you dont want to blow drivers up. A big amp meant I could burn in 32 woofers at a time.

Before you jump to conclusions, I was never part of the audio industry and never have been affiliated with any audio company or publication. I was just a DIYer and between 1976 to 1998 I built maybe 40 pairs of speakers each very different from the other. Everything from Philips 8065 woofers to ScanSpeak 18W8546 from Arphi 12" fullranges salvaged from the Orpheaus to JBL 2245/2235/2226 based 'bass bins' from UREI radial horns to London Decca ribbons.

The drivers you see in that photo are when ScanSpeak and Vifa were seperate companies in Videbaek. Pre DST, Pre Tympany. As you can see from the cellulose (tan coloured) drivers we still used 'bucking magnets' to sheild CRT TVs. ;) This picture was from 1997. I am, as my wife likes to call me, a fossil.

When I got married my wife threw out 2 Godrej cupabrds full of old drivers. Maybe about 100 drivers were given the the local "kabadi-walla". If Hifivision would have been around (we did not even have email though) I would have donated them to the young guns here. Some of the drivers were quite nice - I really miss the Aerogel cones from Audax, the 12cm doped paper cone that I had used to upgrade a DQ10 (along with the London Decca ribbon), the 34mm Audax dome, Vifa's 19mm domes used by Snell, oh the list was long. :-( even had a pair of the original MDT33s (pre 'butterfly' aka interchangable voice coils).

why its is so BIG ? :mad:

Danny would be the right person to answer that. BTW for 6 5" XBL woofers it is a fair volume.

Last edited:
George,

Please do look into the OB7 and X-Encore options. THey'll do HT and 2 channel audio extremely well.

You are preying on my weak spot.:eek: The point is I'll be moving out of my present apartment by the year end. After that there may be an interim stay in a rented place before I move into my own apartment. So it'll take me a while to get my permanent abode. I would rather decide on the FS for HT after I settle in the new apartment instead of shifting it here and there. For music I all ready assembled the N2X from Danny and I'm extremely happy with it combined with my Accoustic Portrait pre/power.

Well if you notice what I had done there was hook up a CD player on repeat with some Percussion music (Andy Narell on Kettle drums etc..) and.....
.........When I got married my wife threw out 2 Godrej cupabrds full of old drivers. Maybe about 100 drivers were given the the local "kabadi-walla". If Hifivision would have been around (we did not even have email though) I would have donated them to the young guns here. Some of the drivers were quite nice - I really miss the Aerogel cones from Audax, the 12cm doped paper cone that I had used to upgrade a DQ10 (along with the London Decca ribbon), the 34mm Audax dome, Vifa's 19mm domes used by Snell, oh the list was long. :-( even had a pair of the original MDT33s (pre 'butterfly' aka interchangable voice coils).

Good lord Navin:eek:
All I can say is its great to be here in HFV with you.:clapping:

All I can say is its great to be here in HFV with you.:clapping:

George,

I too am happy to be part of this forum. I am not internet savvy so I dont follow all the threads (not enough time). Whoever started this forum did a great service to AV in India.

If you see any young guns needing help from an old man PM me. I am willing to offer what little advice my experience has taught me. Just not on this AV stuff. I dont understand 5.1 or 7.1 or even the digital domain.

Some of my contemparies like Shyam Bajaj (Norge/Eastern) and Sushil Anand (Novaudio) are still around. We meet sometimes over a beer or coffee. Audio in India thrived before 'Video killed the Radio Star'.

navin - are you by any chance the same navin as on tbhp ?
some of your posts sem similar to what ive once read i think

if so - youre quite active on that forum ?

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back