Center channel build

Gijo George

The center channel in my system was a real weak link in my 5.1 system and been thinking for some time to get a new one. Stumbled upon the LS-Center from GR Research and they couldn't have come at a better time. The kit just came in yesterday and I had started work on the cab a few days back. I'm getting the cabinet work done at a woodworking unit owned by a relative since I don't have the resources to do it myself. A few pics.

All panels cut

IMG_0254.jpg

Front and rear baffles

IMG_9231.jpg

IMG_9235-Optimized.jpg

Dry Fit

IMG_9243-Optimized.jpg
Imageshack - img9245optimized.jpg

Seem to have reached my limit on HFV so here's the image shack link

ImageShack Album - 11 images

Will get the XO assembled in a couple of days.

That's a massive center channel speaker.

Sweet. The weakest link when completed will no longer be your center

Would like to know how did you source the drivers ?

Last edited:
Very nice roundovers for the holes - excellent workmanship.
The workshop in the background is really interesting - they even
have a dust collector?

Very nice roundovers for the holes - excellent workmanship.
The workshop in the background is really interesting - they even
have a dust collector?

I luckily got a router bit with 1" radius. Yes that's a dust collector.

Good lord, that is a whole lot of drivers, Gijo!
I sure do have something to look forward to when I am back in Cochin!
Good luck with the build.

I thought that was matched to the LS Alpha, LS9 etc... using the Neo3 PDR tweeter?

The Neo3 has a different signature from your 9500s (are you using the ScanSpeak for the mains?).

Yes that center is matched to the LS6 & 9. My fronts are currently Mordaunt short Avant 908i. I'll see how this center matches with them and act accordingly. I may move into an apartment/house this year end and dedicate a room for HT so rest of the upgrade will be planned accordingly. My current upgrade is the center and a sub (Forum group Buy) which I intend to take up shortly.

No I dont have the SS 9500 though I would love to:licklips: I may go in for the LS6 or LS9 depending on the above HT plan.

Looks good. When do you expect to get it completed?

I plan to be in your area during the first week of next month, if an audition is possible.

I should get it completed in the next 10 days depending on how fast the painting work will be done. This project is being done as a favour by my relative since he mostly does commercial work. So labour available for painting depends. I stay in an apartment and don't have the space to get the work done here. Fringe benefits if you have a home which can accomodate a small workshop.

Anyways please do come by and we'll yenjaaee a couple of movies over a single malt.:yahoo:

No I dont have the SS 9500 though I would love to:licklips: I may go in for the LS6 or LS9 depending on the above HT plan.

Oh my I think I may have mixed you up with GeorgeO. Sorry.:eek:

BTW Most line sources like the LS6/9 require large rooms. The GR Research ones however need a room atleast 4m wide and 6m long. You need atleast a meter behind the speaker and need to sit 3 meters in front of it.

Also the LS9 is about 7 feet tall. In a typical apartment it might be over kill. The LS6 at almost 6ft are big too. Maybe a hypothetical LS4 (4 Neo 8 mated to 6 7" woofers) would suit indian apartments (I live in Mumbai so apartments are kinda small) better. In case no one noticed the model number GR (Danny Richtie) gave these speakers was taken from the number of "customised" Neo8s each of them had.

Many years (winter of 1999/2000 I think) ago I had heard the Neo drivers (mid and hf) mated to a ScanSpeak 8" in a large bookshelf. They have a sense of air about them that is different from soft domes or traditional ribbons (not RAAL or ER/Heil drivers) which is why I wondered if they would be sonically matched to regular dynamic speakers.

Oh my I think I may have mixed you up with GeorgeO. Sorry.:eek:

BTW Most line sources like the LS6/9 require large rooms. The GR Research ones however need a room atleast 4m wide and 6m long. You need atleast a meter behind the speaker and need to sit 3 meters in front of it.

I have just the said room in case I'm moving into the house. So I'll have to see how it goes.

Also the LS9 is about 7 feet tall. In a typical apartment it might be over kill. The LS6 at almost 6ft are big too. Maybe a hypothetical LS4 (4 Neo 8 mated to 6 7" woofers) would suit indian apartments (I live in Mumbai so apartments are kinda small) better. In case no one noticed the model number GR (Danny Richtie) gave these speakers was taken from the number of "customised" Neo8s each of them had.

Your right the LS6 or 9's are definitely overkill for a small apartment. Another option is the OB7 in which the MTM section is similar to the LS-C Neo 3 and M 130/16. I need to research on a pair of FS that I could do with drivers available from Peerless India.

Many years (winter of 1999/2000 I think) ago I had heard the Neo drivers (mid and hf) mated to a ScanSpeak 8" in a large bookshelf. They have a sense of air about them that is different from soft domes or traditional ribbons (not RAAL or ER/Heil drivers) which is why I wondered if they would be sonically matched to regular dynamic speakers.

I've assembled the N2X from GR research using the Neo 3 with M165X and I really like those speakers mated with a tube pre and SS power.

Gijo,

What are your plans for the paint job.

I would have really loved a Veneer finish. Since the front baffles have been rounded over in a 1" radius only a veneer skin is possible. But I cant seem to find any good ones here. Since I lost hope on that my next option was a piano black glossy finish. But I may just go in for a black matt finish since my current fronts are black matt finish. One mistake I made (again) was to go in for butt joints where I should have done miter joints. If you intend to paint the cabinets miter joints are better. With a small roundover and metal putty there would be not telegraphing of paint through the joints. I still haven't given up on veneer skin. Some of the speakers finished by Walnut veneer on DIY is just too beautiful.

you can make the front baffle black and veneer the remaining part by separating them with a groove. For an idea, check the ATC speakers. (ATC Loudspeakers. ATC Monitors. ATC SCM. ATC Speakers. Manufacturers of speakers, monitors, drive units and amplifiers.)

Thanks Sajith. Yes that is something I could do and I did give it a thought earlier. The only problem is small quantity of veneer skin is not available locally. I'd have to go in for a 8X4 sheet of veneer backed with 3 mm ply which is obviously stiff and where in I'd be using only say 15 sqft. (Will have to check with the unit if they have something in stock) They have good designs coming in those. If I top these on the cabinet another advantage is that except that of the front baffle all other butt joints would be again sealed with the veneer ply which is an added proof against air leakages. But the edges will remain very sharp like a laminate finish where as I prefer a slightly rounded finish on all the edges. I'll have to see if I can maybe leave a small space on the straight edges after gluing the veneer and maybe apply some putty long those edges with matching color of the veneer and apply a clear coat over that so that the putty color does not stand apart from that of the veneer. Since the front baffle is the same height as the cabinet I'll have to take into consideration the height difference if I'm gluing plywood backed veneer. (3mm all round) Decisions decisions..:)
Cheers Gijo

Ask for paper veneer, not the std veneer, but you need to be very careful in handling else it may break.
Also you can try edge free joints using std veneers.

Last edited:
Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back