Ceramic Phonostage Build

neat job, nice way of mounting the psu tranny and rectifiers away from the phonostage. Did not see the chassis of the TT grounded with the phonostage, maybe I missed it. Always a good idea to ground the chassis with the phonostage. This will prevent any kind of hum or interference, whatsoever. Have you connected the primary of your psu tranny to the turntable motor's switch so that it turns on and off with the TT or have you left it on, all the time?

Dear reuben, these circuits seems to serve only preamp.. Am I correct? Or it has op amp too,? Do you have any diy diagram which contains pre and power amp in the same board?

Hi
Yes the TT ground is connected with the phonostage. I just moved the ground to the corner to look different. Check the green circle.

No I have not connected the power supply of the preamp to the turntable motor's switch. Actually I didn't think of it. Should I connect it that way?

I mean I switch off the TT when not using so its not on all the time

Attachments

• t20140731_062742.jpg
    t20140731_062742.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 40
Sorry, did not notice the ground wire earlier. My honest opinion would be to keep the phonostage running as it is now, that is through out. If you wire the tranny through the turntable motor switch, each time your turntable is started or turns off, you'll hear thuds through your speakers, which is best avoided.

Dear reuben, these circuits seems to serve only preamp.. Am I correct? Or it has op amp too,? Do you have any diy diagram which contains pre and power amp in the same board?

Yes, you are right. This is just the phono RIAA equalization stage for ceramic carts. The intention is for us forum members who have ceramic cartridge based turntables to use these with our existing amplifiers. Most amplifiers after the early 1970s (except for the Indian ones) came with MM phonostages so we forum members were facing difficulty using our ceramic cart based turntables with these amps. That led to me building these phonostages. As the intention of this stage is purely to provide RIAA equalization, I have not used an OP amp.

Of you are looking to build a complete preamp to use with this phonostage, there are many options available and a key factor is what you plan to use it for. Here's an example that would work with almost any poweramp module:

Pls Note: The phonostage featured is for MM, just replace it with the ceramic phonostage design which I have built

riaa-pre-1_zps05299202.jpg

riaa-pre-2_zps67417f51.jpg

This is a vintage transistor based design. By doing a simple google search, you'll get loads of Poweramp circuits out there.

Here's an example of a very simple stereo amplifier, with a single tone control, but with ceramic phono and tape/tuner switchable inputs:

sa-10_schematic_web.jpg

This is more of the type you'd find in portable record players. Just build a single channel for mono application, drop the tape/tuner input and input selector switch if you need only for phono use.

Somehow the pic uploaded are too small don't know why. It was so clear and big on the comp

Instead of taking the attachment route, why don't you upload your photos to photobucket and insert it into your post using the insert link option (copy the direct link of your photo, once its uploaded in photobucket and paste it in the insert link popup)

Hi
Yes the TT ground is connected with the phonostage. I just moved the ground to the corner to look different. Check the green circle.

No I have not connected the power supply of the preamp to the turntable motor's switch. Actually I didn't think of it. Should I connect it that way?

I mean I switch off the TT when not using so its not on all the time

Guess you may have missed this post inbetween all those schematics so here I go again:

Sorry, did not notice the ground wire earlier. My honest opinion would be to keep the phonostage running as it is now, that is through out. If you wire the tranny through the turntable motor switch, each time your turntable is started or turns off, you'll hear thuds through your speakers, which is best avoided.

So the thread comes alive yet again, this time for a scratch and noise (rumble) filter build for the ceramic phonostage.

Recently, my RC210 was blocked for a dear friend and FM (http://www.hifivision.com/sale-owner/53167-my-garrard-rc210.html), hence I decided to bring in some more value for him as a gift. Since he told me that he wants to use the changer for 78s, he would need a scratch and noise (rumble) filter if he's going to play vintage 78s which have been previously played using steel needle gramophones.

Here is the circuit which I plan to use (will try to source the components over the weekend):

sceatch+and+rumble+filter.gif

Last edited:
For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back