Cheap Amplifier for Elac debut B6 speakers

loki4you

Hello everyone,

I'm a newbie, and please bear if my doubts are pretty basic.
I have somehow managed to bring ELAC Debut B6 speakers from US and I'm in a dire need of an amplifier :confused: to pair with them.At the moment my pockets are empty and hence please guide me in going with any amplifier that can be considered as a decent option at different price brackets to pair with them.
I need suggestions for an amplifier that is
  1. <5K
  2. between 5k to 10 k
  3. and 10K to 15 k
This is a temporary set up till I'm able to pool in funds to get a Yamaha AVR or other decent amplifiers like NAD.
I had the below option from Ebay for ampliifers in 5k mark. Kindly share your views about it or suggest me any other good ones in that price range.
I'm also thinking of Norge 2060 or the Astonia amplifiers in the 10 to 15K category.But i would be so grateful if im able to find something in the 5k bracket.I would also prefer a warm sound than a bright or dynamic one.
So please suggest me the best VFM amp that would be give me a decent set up without burning a hole in my pocket or affecting the speakers.
I'm open to any Amplifier(local ones or branded) at the price range mentioned which would do some justice to speakers.
Please suggest me the ways to source them in Bangalore or through Online.
Thanks a ton in advance fro all your valued inputs.:signthankspin:

if its for the short term, consider used equipment. if you get a used norge thats the one i would go with. also look at used pioneer, sony. you also get those all in ones and some of them came with a decent amp. again, if you get used, it will be within your budget

Hi,

Check for sale by owner section or Hi Fi ads..you will find something...

There is also OLX or Quikr where you can get good stuff but be cautious...

All the best

Hello everyone,

I'm a newbie, and please bear if my doubts are pretty basic.
I have somehow managed to bring ELAC Debut B6 speakers from US and I'm in a dire need of an amplifier

Congratulations on the B6. The B6 clan is slowly building in Bangalore. I bought them here in Bangalore and they are working great with my Marantz receiver. However, you would want an amp that can provide close to 100w at 6Ohm to really enjoy the potential of these speakers.

MaSh

If you do not listen very loud Lepai LP2020A can be decent stop-gap arrangement. You can get it around 2K from ebay/ Ali express etc.

Congratulations on the B6. The B6 clan is slowly building in Bangalore. I bought them here in Bangalore and they are working great with my Marantz receiver. However, you would want an amp that can provide close to 100w at 6Ohm to really enjoy the potential of these speakers.

MaSh

Happy to hear that. I think I was the first one who bought B6 in Bangalore and still being used as my reference speakers.

Here is my experience on the same.

Hi nothing can beat the topping amp at your budget if you can get it thru PayPal and wait for a month. Else you may list your requirement in the wanted section. Surely you will get a decent amp for 5-7k.

Sent from my CP8676_I02 using Tapatalk

I think Lepai would be a good option. However they have now changed to lepy for which reviews aren't that good.

Guys,
I have been using the B6 with the cheap 10 k Chinese amp Fx-802c for thelast two months. I might be out of India for quite some time and hence unfortunately I'm planning to give my debut b6 with the amp..I just wanted to give these speakers to someone who would appreciate it rather than a random one.If anyone is interested please lemme know.
Mods my apologies if this was a wrong section to post it.

Put it in for sale thread with expected price and pictures. Or stick it in the giveaway thread.

Guys,
I have been using the B6 with the cheap 10 k Chinese amp Fx-802c for thelast two months. I might be out of India for quite some time and hence unfortunately I'm planning to give my debut b6 with the amp..I just wanted to give these speakers to someone who would appreciate it rather than a random one.If anyone is interested please lemme know.
Mods my apologies if this was a wrong section to post it.

My apologies for the confusion caused..it's not a give away, I'm planning to sell them as a combo or as an individual item..will post it for sale in the relevant section.

I bought a B6 from US AMAZON and the same arrived last week. I connected on Sunday and listened with my DAYTON and Chinese class D amp (I AM D). The speakers are kept on top of my main speakers, BOSE 401 and toed in 20/25 degrees.
The speaker B6 is really excellent and sounds wonderful with great bass response for the price. I have a changeover switch (DIY) and I listened to all possible combinations with both the amps and speakers and could compare them well as the change in sound is instantaneous on toogle of the switch. What I am disappointed about B6 is the sound is a bit BOXY and the soundstage is nowhere comparable with BOSE 401. The BOSE presents a vivid soundstage as also it appears that a veil was removed when I shift from B6 to Bose, the sound being much more transparent, clear and revealing in Bose. The fact is if I listen to B6 alone it's fantastic but on instant comparison with my main speaker is otherwise.
Please guide/ advise me with respect to the following points.
1. Is it ok to compare both the speakers as BOSE 401 is a typical speaker triangular shaped with two 6.5" drivers attached on two sides of the triangular construction with "STEREO EVERYWHERE" - some sort of proprietory stereo imaging created by BOSE.
2.Is my observation about B6 correct or it is a stray case arising due to mis alignment or some other faults at my end. This is because in all the reviews read on B6, it is declared as one of the best Bookshelf in the price bracket with excellent reproduction of sound and good soundstaging.
3. How to improve the sound staging and reduce boxyness from the music.

Last edited:
I bought a B6 from US AMAZON and the same arrived last week. I connected on Sunday and listened with my DAYTON and Chinese class D amp (I AM D). The speakers are kept on top of my main speakers, BOSE 401 and toed in 20/25 degrees.
The speaker B6 is really excellent and sounds wonderful with great bass response for the price. I have a changeover switch (DIY) and I listened to all possible combinations with both the amps and speakers and could compare them well as the change in sound is instantaneous on toogle of the switch. What I am disappointed about B6 is the sound is a bit BOXY and the soundstage is nowhere comparable with BOSE 401. The BOSE presents a vivid soundstage as also it appears that a veil was removed when I shift from B6 to Bose, the sound being much more transparent, clear and revealing in Bose. The fact is if I listen to B6 alone it's fantastic but on instant comparison with my main speaker is otherwise.
Please guide/ advise me with respect to the following points.
1. Is it ok to compare both the speakers as BOSE 401 is a typical speaker triangular shaped with two 6.5" drivers attached on two sides of the triangular construction with "STEREO EVERYWHERE" - some sort of proprietory stereo imaging created by BOSE.
2.Is my observation about B6 correct or it is a stray case arising due to mis alignment or some other faults at my end. This is because in all the reviews read on B6, it is declared as one of the best Bookshelf in the price bracket with excellent reproduction of sound and good soundstaging.
3. How to improve the sound staging and reduce boxyness from the music.

Edit : i changed the speaker cable of B6 (local variety but better than earlier) and there is a marked improvement. Hope it improves further after breaking in for a few days.

Happy to hear that. I think I was the first one who bought B6 in Bangalore and still being used as my reference speakers.

Here is my experience on the same.

Yes, but mine were sold long ago and now I am on the hunt for speakers again. Looking to try out Zensor 3.

MaSh

if its for the short term, consider used equipment. if you get a used norge thats the one i would go with. also look at used pioneer, sony. you also get those all in ones and some of them came with a decent amp. again, if you get used, it will be within your budget

I second getting a used amp. I have just setup a friend with a used adcom 555 amp with a pair of small speakers that have similar power needs as the Elacs.

The less powerfull adcom 545 should also suffice for the elacs. The 545 mk2 can be found in the $200 to $300 range.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back